NE1: Shared Economy Liberation Act (On Governor's Desk) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:58:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  NE1: Shared Economy Liberation Act (On Governor's Desk) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: NE1: Shared Economy Liberation Act (On Governor's Desk)  (Read 2873 times)
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« on: December 14, 2014, 04:02:39 PM »

Hmm.  I'm not quite sure of the necessity for this. Certainly we don't want to create a system with no regulation or oversight. While sirnick's amendment dresses that somewhat, I don't think it creates the kind of regulation and safety system that should be in place with these issues
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2014, 12:54:33 PM »
« Edited: December 15, 2014, 01:55:59 PM by Barnes »

I would refer everyone to the events transpiring in Sydney where Uber quadrupled their base rate to $100 for the area surrounding the hostage situation. Could you imagine something happening like that during the events of the bombing of the Boston Marathon, for example? Secondly, I'm sure you have all seen the allegations in India and Chicago of Uber drivers raping passengers; without attempting to act as a court of law here, surely this compromises part of the company's prized confidence in their drivers.

In response to these incidents, I am opposed to the bill.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2014, 05:11:32 PM »

I'm not trying to ban Uber or services like it, that's not my intention through this, but I think it's nessecary to regulate this developing industry. That's the extent of my concerns.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2014, 09:45:04 PM »

What are we even talking about in here anymore? Nobody gives a hoot what you do in your car, Napoleon. We're taking about for-profit businesses, not a friendly car pool. I'm not trying to be snippy, but let's try to not stray too far from the bill in hand.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2014, 05:57:56 PM »

I fully accept that the problems associated with Uber are widespread societal issues in many cases; banning Uber in India will not alleviate the rape problem.  I think that the only way to help with that, or any of these issues, is to treat Uber like it is, a business, and ensure that it is safe, legal, and works for the best interest of its consumers.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2014, 12:19:04 AM »

We're almost a week behind on this bill. I move to immediately proceed to a vote on passage.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2014, 01:47:57 PM »

Abstain.

I still hold my earlier reservations, but I won't try to kill the bill.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies