We have a Pope
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:12:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  We have a Pope
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Author Topic: We have a Pope  (Read 7686 times)
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2005, 02:40:19 PM »

The liberal cardinals are already demanding a recount.

Has Al Gore won yet?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2005, 02:45:18 PM »

You don't know how happy I am that you're not.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2005, 02:46:32 PM »

Hopefully, the church does split over this.  The true believers can stay in the church and those who don't follow Catholic teachings will leave like they should.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2005, 02:51:10 PM »

Name of Benedict XVI.

St. Malachy proven right yet again.

You guys will stop at no lenth to stretch that "prophecy" will you?
Like poor Pius VII being descrived as "rapacious eagle". But of course, that wasn't him but Napoleon, the supporters say...
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2005, 02:51:58 PM »

Hopefully, the church does split over this.  The true believers can stay in the church and those who don't follow Catholic teachings will leave like they should.

Sad but true.  Most of the liberal Catholics the news talked about with the Gallup poll don't go to Church anyway.  Certain issues are up for change but there are certain issues that you cannot change just because current societal norms calls for it.  If you want a church that still has some ritual with nothing behind it and that caves on every single issue- become an Episcapalian.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2005, 02:55:27 PM »

Here's one for you Josh:

Funny thing, though, Bush wouldn't make a good Catholic.
They are against things like war, capital punishment and economic injustice.

I'm a Catholic and I'm for all those things.

That's certainly a pickle.  If the Catholic Church does split, and like you say, the 'true' Catholics stay behind, that'll include most neo-cons in America then I guess.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2005, 03:01:47 PM »

Sad but true.  Most of the liberal Catholics the news talked about with the Gallup poll don't go to Church anyway.  Certain issues are up for change but there are certain issues that you cannot change just because current societal norms calls for it.  If you want a church that still has some ritual with nothing behind it and that caves on every single issue- become an Episcapalian.

In Matthew Chapter 6, verses 5 and 6, Jesus said:

“And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily, I say unto you, they have their reward.

But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.”

If only the so called religious right would ever read the bible.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2005, 03:11:04 PM »

From what I hear that could be the beginning of the end of the Catholic Church.

Those that hate our Church would have been saying that no matter who was elected.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2005, 03:12:59 PM »

Sad but true.  Most of the liberal Catholics the news talked about with the Gallup poll don't go to Church anyway.  Certain issues are up for change but there are certain issues that you cannot change just because current societal norms calls for it.  If you want a church that still has some ritual with nothing behind it and that caves on every single issue- become an Episcapalian.

In Matthew Chapter 6, verses 5 and 6, Jesus said:

“And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily, I say unto you, they have their reward.

But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.”

If only the so called religious right would ever read the bible.

Jesus is commanding us not to be hypocrites and make a show of our faith by being insincere.  Perhaps if you read further in Matthew you would have found: Matthew 18:20 "For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there I am in the midst of them." N.A.B.

Throughout the gospel Jesus implores us to gather as a faith community not to mention commanding that we maintain the Law of Moses in the Ten Commandments about honoring the sabbath
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2005, 03:14:11 PM »
« Edited: April 19, 2005, 03:16:26 PM by jfern »

Jesus is commanding us not to be hypocrites and make a show of our faith by being insincere.  Perhaps if you read further in Matthew you would have found: Matthew 18:20 "For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there I am in the midst of them." N.A.B.

Throughout the gospel Jesus implores us to gather as a faith community not to mention commanding that we maintain the Law of Moses in the Ten Commandments about honoring the sabbath

Two people can gather outside of church, you know, but Jesus only requires the gathering of one person.

There are plenty of other things that the "religious right" haven't found in the bible, no need to mention the Sabbath.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2005, 03:20:00 PM »

Those that hate our Church would have been saying that no matter who was elected.

I hate it and I don't think it is going away.  But I'm a pessimist.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2005, 03:25:19 PM »

For what it is worth, I feel very sorry for you Opebo.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2005, 03:28:18 PM »

Jesus is commanding us not to be hypocrites and make a show of our faith by being insincere.  Perhaps if you read further in Matthew you would have found: Matthew 18:20 "For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there I am in the midst of them." N.A.B.

Two people can gather outside of church, you know, but Jesus only requires the gathering of one person.

There are plenty of other things that the "religious right" haven't found in the bible, no need to mention the Sabbath.

I happen to believe in transubstantion as spoken in Mark 14: 22-25.  Therefore, I believe it is imperative that you receive the sacrament of the Eucharist.  You do not belive this apparently so that is your business.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2005, 03:28:41 PM »

For what it is worth, I feel very sorry for you Opebo.

And I for you. 
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2005, 03:31:50 PM »

Any conservative Catholics feel like responding to my last post?
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2005, 03:36:43 PM »

Worst choice ever.  I was standing in a hallway watching TV when they announced.  There were four priests there.  Three were visably obset and I thought the one was going to die.  Unless Bendict XVI is a different man from Joseph Ratzinger this was the wrong way to go.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #41 on: April 19, 2005, 03:37:54 PM »

Edit:  Maybe I'm being too harsh, but I was disappointed by the choice.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2005, 03:38:55 PM »

There is such a thing as a just war but with strict dictates, capital punishment is not in keeping with Church teaching and materialism is a grave danger as it often does not respect our humanity and treats us simply as consumers.  I however am not strictly conservative.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #43 on: April 19, 2005, 03:40:42 PM »

Worst choice ever.  I was standing in a hallway watching TV when they announced.  There were four priests there.  Three were visably obset and I thought the one was going to die.  Unless Bendict XVI is a different man from Joseph Ratzinger this was the wrong way to go.

You were standing in a hallway with a bunch of priests?  I simply cannot imagine your lifestyle.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #44 on: April 19, 2005, 03:47:32 PM »

I don't think the Iraq War was wrong, because from my analysis, it meets the criteria of the just war theory.  As far economic injustice, I donate my money, time, and talents to volunteer work and that's about all you can do other than pay taxes.  On the death penalty, I feel it should only be used on the worst and still dangerous criminals and that it needs major reform to make sure we execute only guilty people. I've discussed this with my priest and while he disagreed with me, he acknowledged that he knew where I was coming from on this issue.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #45 on: April 19, 2005, 03:50:28 PM »

The Catholic Church is the longest surviving organization religious or otherwise and to top that it's conservative. Nothing will bring the church down now unless they do something EXTREMLY stupid like start the next crusades.

Us Catholics shall untie and stand.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: April 19, 2005, 03:52:01 PM »

The Catholic Church is the longest surviving organization religious or otherwise and to top that it's conservative. Nothing will bring the church down now unless they do something EXTREMLY stupid like start the next crusades.

Luckily for them, only Bush called for a crusade against the middle east.  I think his advisors told him never to use the word crusade again.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #47 on: April 19, 2005, 03:52:57 PM »

As I said, I am being harsh, but I am just so disappointed.  I stand behind this Pope, I just hope that he is a better Pope than he was "Gatekeeper" for John Paul II.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #48 on: April 19, 2005, 03:58:05 PM »

Funny thing is, one of the priests I was with acctually studied under him many, many years ago.  Radzinger was acctually a very strong proponent of Vatican II and making sure that it's spirit was carried out in full.  I wonder what has changed.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #49 on: April 19, 2005, 04:02:25 PM »

I wouldn't have chosen this guy either but I will stand by him and hope and pray for the best.

It's kinda funny though that most people who don't like Catholicism and the Pope are Democratic while Republicans either like him or don't care for him but will stand with him and work for a better tomorrow.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies