Confirmation Hearing: Hagrid for SoIA (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:37:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Confirmation Hearing: Hagrid for SoIA (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Confirmation Hearing: Hagrid for SoIA  (Read 2056 times)
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« on: December 29, 2014, 01:43:03 AM »

I want to thank the president for nominating me to fill this position.

Regarding the Comprehensive Social Security Reform Commission, the parent Act is a monster of a thing, and Atlasia has been operating smoothly without the calculations. I understand we're interested in passing an accurate, sound budget, so I will prioritize my work to that effect, but right now I do not consider finding these numbers to be a top priority. I'm here to help make the game work for people on the most basic level, so I'll only jump into the more tedious busy work if the president asks me to or if there's huge pressure from the senate. I also face a few other constraints here, in that I don't want to start a project that will extend far past my term and remain unfinished. In addition, the president is considering appointing a deputy Secretary of the Interior to deal with matters related to the Treasury. This is the type of task I would consider delegating to that person.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2014, 01:58:58 PM »

Thanks for your kind words.

In fact, I do not see my primary responsibility as making calculations and providing numbers. I will do it, provided it's for a project that I've actually been working with the regions or the senate on, but it's not the fun part of the job, and I won't take very kindly to people messaging me about an obscure number right out of the blue. Maybe that makes me a bad nominee. Tongue

To clarify, I'll give an example of a role I really liked having during my last stint in the cabinet. Under President DemPGH, anti-homelessness initiatives seemed to take centre-stage. The senate passed an umbrella bill that gave money to the regions, and I acted as the federal government's emissary to those regions. As a result, I think something like three or four regions actually passed homeless relief efforts of their own. When the governors brought these projects to my desk, I gave them the necessary funding. I loved that. So I see my primary job as being the link between the senate and the regions. What is more, I was okay with making financial calculations related to these projects because I already had my hand in the basket, so to speak. It worked out well for everyone.

I also think it's important for the Secretary of the Interior to work with the GM. At the beginning of my last term, Napoleon was the GM and was very good at issuing national and regional news stories. I used the powers of my office to try and deal with those current events. Sometimes I added deeper details to the stories. I think that type of relationship worked very smoothly. Unfortunately, I did not get the chance to work with the senate on those issues, but it's something I'd be open to doing this time around. If shyte goes down that requires more than executive action, I would love to draft an appropriate bill, find a sponsor in the senate, and work to get it passed.

So again, my main job is helping to make all arms of the government work together. When that happens, I think many people have a richer in-game experience.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2014, 02:25:50 AM »

Are you committed to the full implementation of the recently passed Collective Bargaining Modernization Act?

Well, I would not use the word "committed," because that makes it sound like I have some sort of personal affinity for the provisions in the law, which I do not. But yes, I will implement the legislation as passed by the senate.

Personally, I support the idea of having single national or international unions for specific sectors of employment. For example, I look to the IAFF and see a strong union that can provide valuable services and professional development to its members specifically because it brings fire fighters together from across Canada and the United States. It could not do what it does for the industry if fire fighters were represented by multiple disparate organizations.

On the other hand, I think industry-wide contracts and bargaining units are unrealistic and, in fact, will not be in the best interests of any party involved. Although some elected officials would like to pretend that all employers are the same, it's simply not the case, and no "employers' association" will be able to accurately represent the diverse conditions at different places of work. In that regard, the law does not, in my view, give employers a fair shake at negotiations. On the other side of the table, I have the feeling that a one-size-fits-all contract can never properly address the needs of specific workers at specific sites of employment. Part of what makes unions so important is that they are accessible and relevant to workers at a local level. Having local affiliates put their best representatives at the negotiating table ensures that the people fighting for workers' rights actually know the workers and their specific needs... not the needs that the people at the top of the national organization say are most important.

What's more, there's nothing in the legislation to clear up potential problems wherein one region may have one law on the books while another region has a completely contradictory one. What works in Kentucky may not work in California. Specifically for the IAFF, building codes are hugely important. The Imperial Dominion of the South uses the Consensus Codes and the rest use the National Building Code. What if something about these codes needed to make its way into a contract? We'd face some serious dilemmas. So local grassroots organizing matters a lot.

Plus, on another note, I would add that removing local negotiations eliminates the opportunity for some employers to offer competitive wages. If one company or one municipality or one school board is interested in attracting the best and the brightest in the field, they no longer have the authority to negotiate a better contract for their employees. Although I will admit that this occurrence is not common, the top-down approach introduced by the new legislation does come with its share of drawbacks. In many ways, I feel like the law attempts to solve an imaginary problem. And, frankly, I am disappointed that a number of senators did not verbalize these issues more forcefully.

I hope that answers your question.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2015, 02:52:22 PM »

Would you recommend abolishing the "independent" budget as established under the CSS seeing as how unlikely it is that the numbers will be crunched after three years of no progress?

Yes, although I recognize that it's up to the senate.

I have to say, as a former SoIA, I did appreciate when the senate would include in legislation one-off tasks for me to do. The thing is, they need to be relatively simple and need not recur at regular intervals. I can keep up as we go along, but expecting a Secretary of the Interior to dig so far back in time for incomplete projects is asking a lot. Perhaps if the senate does delegate specific tasks to the Department of the Interior, there can be an expiry date or something. Or not. Admittedly, I don't really have a solution to this one, but having incomplete tasks from 2010 certainly puts future holders of this office in an interesting predicament.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2015, 01:26:37 AM »

Thank you, gentlemen. I don't have anything to add myself, unless anyone else has outstanding questions?
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2015, 05:53:39 PM »

I'm looking forward to receiving official word that I have been confirmed and can start my duties...
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies