The Lief Reservoir of Simple Truths and Smart One-Liners
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:10:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  The Lief Reservoir of Simple Truths and Smart One-Liners
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 57 58 59 [60] 61 62 63 64 65 ... 79
Author Topic: The Lief Reservoir of Simple Truths and Smart One-Liners  (Read 228253 times)
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1475 on: February 24, 2018, 07:08:11 AM »

What the hell did anyone else do to deserve my help?

I don't see why I should share with people who wronged me in the past, or just ignored me. They made their bed, why shouldn't they lie in it?

Would there be people who wronged you in the past if they weren't selfish?
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1476 on: February 24, 2018, 06:08:28 PM »

Context:

Takes guts to be so frank in front of a crowd like that, and drill a hole in a echo chamber that pressurised. FF
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1477 on: February 26, 2018, 02:46:59 PM »

Person A: "We need to criminalize ownership of super fast cars!"

Person B: "Which cars are super fast?"

Person A: "Shut up, conservative! You want dead kids!"

People who call for the banning of certain types of guns without knowing or understanding completely which types of guns pretty much all know they aren't referring to handguns or single shot rifles.

Criminal penalties require specificity. people calling for bans on "assault rifles" are calling for bans on something thats been largely unavailable for 80 years. And there are plenty of people calling for bans on "semiautomatic weapons" while citing semiautomatic handguns as a viable alternative.

I have a constitutional right not to be subject to stupidly vague criminal laws. If you are going to try and snuff out my 2nd amendment rights, and you cant even be bothered to learn what it is you throwing me in jail over, don't expect my sympathy.
Doimper
Doctor Imperialism

« Reply #1478 on: February 26, 2018, 08:20:59 PM »

People who call for the banning of certain types of guns without knowing or understanding completely which types of guns pretty much all know they aren't referring to handguns or single shot rifles.

Criminal penalties require specificity. people calling for bans on "assault rifles" are calling for bans on something thats been largely unavailable for 80 years. And there are plenty of people calling for bans on "semiautomatic weapons" while citing semiautomatic handguns as a viable alternative.

I have a constitutional right not to be subject to stupidly vague criminal laws. If you are going to try and snuff out my 2nd amendment rights, and you cant even be bothered to learn what it is you throwing me in jail over, don't expect my sympathy.

Like most Mr. Reactionary posts, this is just useless pedantry wrapped in smug indignation. The term "assault weapons ban" and its derivatives are easily digestible catch-alls for various possible laws and regulations, just like "repeal and replace" was (and I didn't see Mr. Reactionary sniveling over the specificity of that term in 2017, lol). In fact, "repeal and replace" was worse, since it became quickly apparent last year that Republicans had no clue what that would actually entail, whereas Democrats have already laid out a workable proposal for an assault weapons ban (with over a hundred pages of excruciating specificity).

Seriously, did he think Democrats would write "n0 assault riflez" on a piece of paper in purple crayon and try signing it into law? What a doofus.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #1479 on: February 27, 2018, 02:32:38 AM »

Like most Mr. Reactionary posts, this is just useless pedantry wrapped in smug indignation. The term "assault weapons ban" and its derivatives are easily digestible catch-alls for various possible laws and regulations, just like "repeal and replace" was (and I didn't see Mr. Reactionary sniveling over the specificity of that term in 2017, lol). In fact, "repeal and replace" was worse, since it became quickly apparent last year that Republicans had no clue what that would actually entail, whereas Democrats have already laid out a workable proposal for an assault weapons ban (with over a hundred pages of excruciating specificity).

Seriously, did he think Democrats would write "n0 assault riflez" on a piece of paper in purple crayon and try signing it into law? What a doofus.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #1480 on: February 27, 2018, 04:16:36 AM »

I can't wait for the machine to crush this progressive fantasy.  We don't need privileged North Side Liberals telling us how to vote.
Nothing more privileged than having daddy gift you a seat in Congress.
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1481 on: February 28, 2018, 09:42:25 AM »

Your team is of course the Republican party, the party of pedophilia and thinly veiled fascism.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1482 on: February 28, 2018, 06:17:25 PM »

If his dad is allow to fix, and cheat to get him his seat in Congress, then progressives have every right to throw the absolute kitchen sink to kick him out of congress. There's a lot of chat on this thread about people from outside the district but look at this gem....

You must be logged in to read this quote.

So not only did his Dad drop out after the primary, but he was then the one who helped make the decision to appoint his son, who hadn't lived in state since the 90s

I'm not sure where this is from, but I can't imagine it's true, since Lipinski was involved in Chicago politics throughout the 90s. It sounds like a straight-up lie.
It’s true.
If it is indeed the case that he was involved in Chicago politics throughout the 1990s, then for sure it was also untrue to call him a carpetbagger from Tennessee. (not necessarily vice versa).
You aren't a "carpetbagger from Tennessee" if you took a job there for 3 years. The guy did work on Chicago-based political staffs throughout the 90s. Even if he was primarily working in Washington in those roles, that still means he was very involved in Illinois politics.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #1483 on: February 28, 2018, 07:57:59 PM »

Her poor judgement and voting record are reasons she should be voted out....not her age/sex

Yeah, the Assault Weapons Ban was a mistake. Guess we would be safer just bowing down to the NRA.

The AWB was a mistake. It was a pathetic and ineffective piece of legislation that did virtually nothing to curb gun violence and hampered efforts for any effective gun control.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #1484 on: February 28, 2018, 10:08:52 PM »

Very sad to hear that you will be going to hell,
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1485 on: February 28, 2018, 10:21:06 PM »

I am led to believe that people seismically overestimate the extent to which Gentiles perceive and contemplate “Jewishness”. This isn’t 1920.
YE
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #1486 on: February 28, 2018, 10:26:14 PM »

Democrats picking up any R+20 (or higher) District is less likely than Democrats making a triple digit total net gain in the House, in the 2018 elections.

Apparently now all districts completely conform to national cook pvi ratings on all levels at all the time, barring a Mooreing.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1487 on: March 01, 2018, 12:26:41 PM »

Your hatred of whites has reached some pretty insane levels.

"Guys as white people you probably can't quite wrap your head around how important representation is to minorities"

"OMG YOU HATE ALL WHITE PEOPLE"
Atlas Force
mlee117379
United States

« Reply #1488 on: March 03, 2018, 10:28:49 AM »

It's literally insulting to the non-white people and women who carry the Democratic Party that they would nominate two white men in order to satisfy a demographic they lose by 30 points.
It's much more insulting when the working class is mocked and forgotten about by a party that pretends to care about minorities when they are more importantly looking for champagne liberals in Orange County and using minorities as cover to do it.

Tell that to the Third Way mealymouths who spout off "business-friendly solutions", "right-to-work", and "the future of the Democratic Party is in the country clubs of Dallas".

You seem to have a traumatic association with country clubs.
Cold War Liberal
KennedyWannabe99
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.53

« Reply #1489 on: March 03, 2018, 01:40:07 PM »

This one is good too:
-snip-
It's much more insulting when the working class is mocked and forgotten about by a party that pretends to care about minorities when they are more importantly looking for champagne liberals in Orange County and using minorities as cover to do it.

Um... apologies to all six liberals in Orange County, I guess.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #1490 on: March 03, 2018, 05:02:59 PM »

They don't blow a lot of money on wasteful sh**t like the rest of us do.  Of course we're having way more fun.

Or at least that's what we tell ourselves, they still seem to be way happier than us.  Perhaps there is a lesson here.
TheLeftwardTide
« Reply #1491 on: March 04, 2018, 09:40:06 PM »

politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #1492 on: March 05, 2018, 04:53:16 AM »

Please don't be that profane here.

"Profane" refers to the violation of that which is sacred; saying the Lord's name in vain, for example. You mean "obscene". Interestingly enough, C.S. Lewis in The Screwtape Letters, I believe, noted that Protestants were more likely to use profanity, and Catholics obscenity.

Grammar nazis everywhere...

*Grammar nationalist.

I left some context, but all due to a large image (though it doesn't change anything at all).
Atlas Force
mlee117379
United States

« Reply #1493 on: March 06, 2018, 10:53:07 PM »

If Ricketts was running in the Dakotas or Kansas this could be interesting, but Nebraska doesn't vote for Democrats, period. Safe R.

Who is Ben Nelson?

A person of times past that is not relevant to our current political reality.

He left office in 2013, not 1983.
Atlas Force
mlee117379
United States

« Reply #1494 on: March 06, 2018, 11:34:08 PM »

Democrats could double their turnout from 2014, but there is no enthusiasm. HAHAHA!

Republicans are extremely talented at deluding themselves. Just look at how many of them sincerely believe that Trump cares about poor people, lol

The only delusion here is the fact that GOP percentages have been maintained from previous years  and the red avatars here haven't countered the fact with hard numbers.

Yes, primary vote raw numbers are excellent indicators of how a general election will go. Just ask Sen. Moore!

https://www.nytimes.com/elections/results/alabama-senate-special-election-primary
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #1495 on: March 07, 2018, 09:27:33 AM »

I dont think Trump is smart enough to collude with the Russians.

The only collusion at the top levels of Government was the FBI and DOJ trying hard to get Hillary elected.

Cold War Liberal
KennedyWannabe99
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.53

« Reply #1496 on: March 07, 2018, 11:01:11 AM »

Bush didnt lie, he just had the wrong intelligence

I was going to correct you, but I then realized that you have a lot of experience on having the wrong intelligence, so I'll defer to you.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #1497 on: March 08, 2018, 05:23:22 PM »

As a side note, the ad song itself is stuck in my head. I suppose that's effective.

Yeah, if your goal is selling bubble gums.

Hey now, effective advertising is effective advertising. Everyone knows Geico and JG Wentworth and name recognition is a big thing in politics.

I liked the ad song to. 

It is strange.  I have hated Cruz since he came on the scene,  but I am warming to him. I guess it is circle the wagons time.

There is a difference between using nicknames Beto and Ted in this case.  O’Rourke is trying to be something he is not: a Latino.  Cruz is trying to be something he is: an American. 

By using Beto, O’Rourke seems actually to be dissing his Irish heritage rather than affirming his American status. He attempts to become Latino/Irish. Cruz affirms his American status by using Ted, following  the lead of millions of immigrants and their children. He becomes a Cuban American.

Millions of immigrants have anglized their names.  Not many have attempted to appropriate another immigrant heritage on to thier own.  That new concept of appropriation can come back and bite.

I'm a white guy with a Hispanic name. Should I change it to fit with some Arkanssn keyboard warrior's preconceptions about what is and isn't American?
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #1498 on: March 08, 2018, 07:47:17 PM »

If a poorly designed video game with a couple thousand downloads is what cost Hillary the election then she's an even worse candidate than I thought.
Atlas Force
mlee117379
United States

« Reply #1499 on: March 08, 2018, 09:31:36 PM »

Russians seem to claim a lot of knowledge and insight into democracy and its party systems despite never having lived in one.
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 57 58 59 [60] 61 62 63 64 65 ... 79  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies