The Lief Reservoir of Simple Truths and Smart One-Liners
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 09:15:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  The Lief Reservoir of Simple Truths and Smart One-Liners
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 63 64 65 [66] 67 68 69 70 71 ... 79
Author Topic: The Lief Reservoir of Simple Truths and Smart One-Liners  (Read 229147 times)
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1625 on: July 27, 2018, 12:56:37 AM »

Banning plastic straws to help the environment is akin to eating a single celery stick to lose weight.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1626 on: July 27, 2018, 03:11:39 PM »

The most recent Republican president who was not a racist was Dwight D Eisenhower.

This isn't the simple truths thread

Dwight Eisenhower was born in 1890 in Texas.  You're nothing short of a moron if you think he was less personally racist than Gerald Ford or George W Bush.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #1627 on: July 27, 2018, 06:39:58 PM »

Also, I don't understand why people want to ban ReaganFan, krazen and Sanchez. I'm sure they're terrible people, but it's not like their unrepresentative of ~40% of the country. Presumably (or hopefully, rather) most of these Atlas Dems will have jobs at some point where they'll find they have to work with and tolerate assholes like ReaganFan, krazen and Sanchez and pretend to be friends with them. You can't just stick your head in the sand, folks.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1628 on: July 30, 2018, 07:08:32 AM »

Re: AOC:

Broadly speaking, she was asked how you pay for “these ideas” and she didn’t give a bad answer to how one pays for most progressive programs. Of course, she didn’t give an explicit answer for how Medicare for All would be paid for, which is problematic. With that said, Ocasio-Cortez needs to shut up and focus on learning about the issues representing her district so she can actually be ready on Day 1.

She does not care, she knows she has the seat no matter what, and as a result is too busy doing other stuff she likes doing more to even fake caring.

If she truly didn't care, she wouldn't spent her post-2016 life protesting standing rock, risk putting her life on hold to run a tedious and tiring year long campaign that had very little chance of winning and doing so without taking money from large corporations. She could have easily gotten into politics by being allies with big money interests who are destroying our country but she did not. Now I don't agree with her on everything but I have yet to see substantive reasoning that she doesn't care.
Atlas Force
mlee117379
United States

« Reply #1629 on: August 01, 2018, 03:00:29 AM »

I also wonder is Nevada ready for 2 female Senators. 

Yes. The state that voted for a Democratic woman for President and a Democratic woman for Senate isn’t ready for another woman Senator.
kyc0705

« Reply #1630 on: August 03, 2018, 01:30:37 PM »

There are different kinds of racism.

Interpersonal racism is what most people think of as racism, such as a person or group of people shouting racial slurs at someone of another race.  And yes, any person of any race can display interpersonal racism.

Institutional racism is racism expressed through social, political and legal institutions.  Slavery was institutional racism.  Minorities facing huge barriers to exercising their right to vote is institutional racism.  Racial profiling by police departments is institutional racism.  My family being put into American internment camps during World War II was institutional racism.

In the United States, only whites have had the power to enact and benefit from institutional racism on a widespread level.

Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #1631 on: August 04, 2018, 10:08:08 PM »

Both are broad and overlapping groups that contain multitudes of tendencies. Obviously it is very easy to overromantacise the Old Left and disparage the New, but it's not as simple as some believe.

Old Left in the streets, New Left in the sheets.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1632 on: August 06, 2018, 07:36:10 PM »

As we are all well aware, Democrats are the party of very rich and very high-IQ urban and suburban voters with college degrees from elite schools while Republicans are the party of poor white working class blue-collar hicks without even high school diplomas who live out in the sticks of Flyover Country and vote entirely on racism and silly Bible Belt fundamentalism and nothing else rational or remotely intelligent. This much is obvious to all educated observers.

My question is, when, if ever, will the Democrats max out their votes with their super-IQ rich urban/suburban voters and when will Republicans likewise max out their votes with the dumb-as-rocks racist, bigoted, and completely uneducated and ignorant rural white plebs of the Deliverance type countryside who vote against their own interests? Will it be in 80 years, 100 years (or longer) or never?

Huh
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1633 on: August 07, 2018, 12:16:30 PM »

As we are all well aware, Democrats are the party of very rich and very high-IQ urban and suburban voters with college degrees from elite schools while Republicans are the party of poor white working class blue-collar hicks without even high school diplomas who live out in the sticks of Flyover Country and vote entirely on racism and silly Bible Belt fundamentalism and nothing else rational or remotely intelligent. This much is obvious to all educated observers.

My question is, when, if ever, will the Democrats max out their votes with their super-IQ rich urban/suburban voters and when will Republicans likewise max out their votes with the dumb-as-rocks racist, bigoted, and completely uneducated and ignorant rural white plebs of the Deliverance type countryside who vote against their own interests? Will it be in 80 years, 100 years (or longer) or never?

Huh

Well demographically, the blue collar rural whitey already is in decline, with the decline gaining momentum.  Poor health and drug abuse seem to be hastening the decline.  Already you have waves of Hispanic and other immigrants needed to keep agriculture and food processing functioning and if they are still mining coal in Appalachia 20 years from now,  they'll probably need Hispanics to do that too.  So, the real question is who will rural blue collar Jesus vote for when they start voting and  how rapidly do they become voters.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #1634 on: August 07, 2018, 02:03:38 PM »

You can't act like a blatant fascist moron and expect the world to sit back and condone it.

Unless you become a forum institution. Smiley
Atlas Force
mlee117379
United States

« Reply #1635 on: August 07, 2018, 03:25:10 PM »

Hello everyone

First time visiting this forum in a while

I’ll keep it quick

1) have zero clue what will happen tonight

2) it’s tragic that one or 2 turd posters can just derail a thread like this
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1636 on: August 07, 2018, 05:21:58 PM »

Context.

And over 50% of Democrats think the govt should have the authority to run your healthcare so what’s your point?

Came here to post this. Truly, a special kind of ignorance is on display here.

Yeah, it is like when Hillary said half of Trump's supporters are deplorable. Clearly it is more like 90% in both cases.
Atlas Force
mlee117379
United States

« Reply #1637 on: August 07, 2018, 09:20:06 PM »

A world where OH-12 and the former PA-18 are coin flips is a world where there is a lot of pain for the GOP.
YE
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #1638 on: August 08, 2018, 11:46:44 AM »

Eh, the DSA's electoral influence was understated before OAC and overstated afterwards. While last night might change the narrative, I don't think it signals an actual change in the trajectory of the American left.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #1639 on: August 08, 2018, 11:52:52 AM »

Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #1640 on: August 09, 2018, 01:24:59 AM »

Yes, I don't support discriminating against half of myself.
Atlas Force
mlee117379
United States

« Reply #1641 on: August 09, 2018, 04:23:42 PM »

Why are you all so threatened by Beet's posts?

I am "threatened" by Beetposts in the same sense that I am "threatened" by my dog pissing on my carpet
Well, in that case, your dog must rule the roost.

No, he's a dog and doesn't know better, which is why I'm training him to go outside. The only admin trying to train Beet to not sh**t everywhere is Virginia, but we'd probably be better off if she just sent him back to the shelter.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #1642 on: August 10, 2018, 07:06:31 AM »

There are a lot of people who have an interest in elevating Ocasio-Cortez

1.The sensationalist media who want to turn her single victory into 'this is the future of the Democratic Party.'

2.The Republican party who want to turn her single victory into 'this is the future of the Democratic Party.'

3.The Bernie Sanders supporters who want to turn her single victory into 'this is the future of the Democratic Party.'
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #1643 on: August 12, 2018, 02:50:29 AM »

I don't think so, but I think there is a little bit of Alan Grayson in everybody.  So, in that sense, he lives everywhere.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1644 on: August 12, 2018, 07:41:22 AM »

Antisemitism is very common among far-left parties all over the world.

Yep. While usually I strongly dislike the "both sides philosophy", on this issue it's quite true- political extremists, both right and left, often search for boogeymen to blame for problems and enthuse the base. Jews, unfortunately, make great boogeymen.
YE
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #1645 on: August 12, 2018, 12:07:51 PM »

Satisfying to see Ing doing so badly. Not that I like anyone else running, but at least they don't use campaign donations to pay off their credit cards.

Hooray for Iraq War boosters!

Pardon me for caring about ethics even slightly.
Iraq War is definitely more ethical than like $15,000 in money screw-ups

Not being able to afford a good campaign treasurer in your first couple of campaigns really doesn't compare to much the average center left/right politician gets up to morally.

But obviously ethics are a different cat - a sedated, desanguinated, legalized version of morality designed to protect evil as long as its i's are dotted and its t's are crossed.

So we're arguing in favour of crime now. Cool.

Starvation, poverty, and war are crimes, being unable to hire a good treasurer is an accounting error Smiley

As part of one's citizenship in a democracy, they sign a contract with the country- the country, with the three branches of government as its arm, keeps the order and prevents anarchy by creating and enforcing laws. In return you, well, keep these laws.

When someone wants to become a lawmaker, they should be held to a standard which includes following these laws. If they're unable to follow this standard, they're unworthy.

That's not to say that laws can't be unjust, and that all laws are created equal- however, financial laws are not unjust, and as far as I'm aware starvation, poverty, and war (lol) aren't part of the U.S.'s book of laws. Thus, they aren't crimes.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1646 on: August 13, 2018, 11:55:46 PM »

Ya know, I think that if I had to live in the driest cities, I'd have to drink heavily.
Atlas Force
mlee117379
United States

« Reply #1647 on: August 14, 2018, 01:29:51 PM »

I hate this guy. He's one of those NeverTrumpers who likes to claim he's a "truh conservatuh" who cares about "the discourse" after basically bragging about all the Muslims he killed in Afghanistan during his initial campaign. Good riddance to this blood thirsty cuck.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1648 on: August 14, 2018, 04:57:05 PM »

You have to remember, the left has a very broad definition of racism. To millions of white Americans, the KKK is racist, segregation was racist, and slavery was racist. In the absence of that, nothing else is racist to millions and millions of people.

For accurately describing how tens of millions of Americans feel.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1649 on: August 15, 2018, 02:44:20 PM »

muh Pelosi just needs to end but it is true that a lot of people who are warming up to the Democrats are in fact not fans of her.

Yea that is absolutely true, but since she ranks so low with people's lists of priorities, she doesn't end up factoring that much into their decision. Most of those people rating her as a big factor in their votes are probably Republicans or Republicans masquerading as indies who were never going to vote Democrat anyway, and would probably say any number of liberal boogeymen are a big factor in their votes (Clinton, Obama, etc). What they won't say is that the biggest factor and the only factor that matters in their vote is that the candidate must be a Republican (and a Trump supporter too maybe?). Nothing else matters to them.
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 63 64 65 [66] 67 68 69 70 71 ... 79  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies