The Lief Reservoir of Simple Truths and Smart One-Liners
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 04:30:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  The Lief Reservoir of Simple Truths and Smart One-Liners
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 71 72 73 [74] 75 76 77 78 79
Author Topic: The Lief Reservoir of Simple Truths and Smart One-Liners  (Read 229022 times)
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1825 on: November 17, 2018, 04:14:40 PM »

Electing people that stand for something is hardly the way I would describe the decision making of American voters. I would say the vast majority of it is decided by the magic R/D next to their name, with most of the remainder being made up of who controls the White House and how much they are pissing off independents.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1826 on: November 19, 2018, 04:52:23 PM »

Identity politics is a stupid talking point by the right to divide and distract from discrimination problems we have against women and minorities.

Trump is the candidate who ran almost exclusively on identity politics, and yet people call him a political genius. Sure, it happened to be white, straight, mostly male identity politics, but it's still identity politics. I see no reason why Democrats can't say disproportionately locking up black men for crimes they commit at the same rate as white men is racist? If conservative white people get triggered by people saying facts then they're just politically correct snowflakes who can't handle the real world.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #1827 on: November 20, 2018, 08:54:47 AM »

My favorite part was when people with degrees or earning degrees were shocked to find out "stupid" truck drivers out earn them.

<scary voice>....and they aren't the only ones.</voice>
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1828 on: November 20, 2018, 11:44:07 AM »

I’ll keep my one October holiday. We already get Veterans Day and thanksgiving in November. And Ocasio Cortes is a disgrace to the Hispanic empire Columbus ushered in. She owes her existence to that man
Damn, pepperoni nipples, back at it again with the casual racism!

oof
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1829 on: November 20, 2018, 01:40:38 PM »

whose "heads" are you referring to, my californian friend?

do you mean the FDP chair? that's terrie rizzo, who only stepped into the job in December, after the previous chair was ousted for being a sex creep -- surely you don't mean her, since she barely had time to move into her office before the election was upon us

do you mean some amorphous set of FDP higher-ups ("the establishment")? most of them backed Graham, or Levine -- surely you wouldn't blame people for losing with a candidate they never wanted in the first place

do you mean actual lower-level FDP staffers? that'd certainly be an odd place to put the blame for losing an election, and Nelson, at least, mostly ran a separate campaign. are you really blaming this on the FDP's deputy spokesman, field director, those sorts of people?

This.

Unless you've worked in politics, you don't really have an understanding of how political organisations and parties are actually staffed.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1830 on: November 20, 2018, 02:45:36 PM »

This race is not close. Only white liberal elites in bubbles could possibly think Mississippi whites will be swayed from their hyper tribal political behavior because of some racist remarks. 90% of whites in Mississippi will be saying worse at Thanksgiving dinner.

The only reason Roy Moore lost was because he was credibly accused of raping/molesting/pursuing teenage white girls. You take that out and leave his abhorrent anti-LGBT and anti-black comments he wins by double digits.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1831 on: November 20, 2018, 09:08:30 PM »

Republicans in California are like wild animals. You can find them now only in deserts, mountains, and forests.
YE
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #1832 on: November 21, 2018, 12:02:32 PM »

I guess it's understandable in this hyper-polarized era, but holy shlt does this forum overuse the term "ever."  Either it's a complete ignorance of the history of the parties or a belief that we are in some "special" era and/or political alignment.  Either is incredibly short-sighted and misguided.  Of course there will be, eventually.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1833 on: November 21, 2018, 11:52:09 PM »

She’s not a white male who speaks exclusively about economic issues so she’s already alienated a plethora of atlas S avatars.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #1834 on: November 24, 2018, 07:35:08 PM »

Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #1835 on: November 25, 2018, 04:21:42 AM »

I'm thankful that Trump is standing firm on the immigration issue.

It’s always gratifying to see, as we enter the Christmas season, devout Christians articulate their vehement opposition to brown people seeking refuge from persecution*.  No room at this inn, as it were.

* Depending on which contradictory gospel you prefer, of course.

But other than that Fuzzy is such a fun, good-natured guy, like Sanchez.

I don't understand why people keep indulging right-wing evangelicals' delusion that they're Christians. It would be as if I kept eating bacon for breakfast, burgers for lunch, and steak for dinner and then keep expecting people to take me seriously when I insist I'm a vegetarian, because I like salad.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1836 on: November 27, 2018, 06:10:03 PM »

I watched Trump's rally in Tupelo and everyone in the audience was white.  I couldn't even find one black person.  In Mississippi.  The most black state in the nation.

Also, when he spoke about African-American unemployment being at an all-time low, I heard some boos (and almost no cheers), and when he followed that by saying that the Republican party is the party of Lincoln, the crowd all of a sudden went very quiet.  I'm guessing Lincoln isn't a very popular figure in Mississippi (certainly not as popular as Jefferson Davis).

Why must Lincoln be especially popular among Mississippi's whites? It was a slaveholding state with so many slaves, that they comprised a majority at some periods. One of the crucial elements of Lincoln's program (abolition of slavery) was, for Mississipi's rural whites, a nightmare - their economic positions and way of life they got accustemed to, could utterly be destroyed. And so on.

Because Lincoln abolished a terrible, evil practice. I don't care if Mississippi was a slaveholding nation- quite the contrary, it should make them feel shame for their past. Do Germans still feel any sympathy for Hitler? No, and neither should Mississippi whites feel sympathy for its evil past. The fact that they're so proud of it and hate Lincoln for abolishing it makes them terrible people, or in other words, deploreable.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1837 on: November 27, 2018, 06:12:07 PM »

Democrats nominated the most experienced and qualified candidate in history and lost. Voters don’t care about that at all.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1838 on: November 27, 2018, 07:36:19 PM »

Trump has a reputation as a "protectionist," but I think that label is misspelled. It should be "projectionist."
Former Dean Phillips Supporters for Haley (I guess???!?) 👁️
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1839 on: November 28, 2018, 11:23:58 PM »

Beto Beto Beto, Beto Beto Beto Beto Beto Beto Beto Beto Beto Beto Beto, Beto Beto Beto Beto Beto Beto Beto Beto.

Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -0.87

P P P
« Reply #1840 on: November 30, 2018, 04:50:50 PM »

Then these "swing voters" are complete idiots....
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #1841 on: December 04, 2018, 05:42:57 PM »

In fairness, the best way to honor a Republican is to deny Americans a vital government service they rely on.
Atlas Force
mlee117379
United States

« Reply #1842 on: December 04, 2018, 09:02:34 PM »

The NCGOP could literally decide to send state police to kidnap the families' of the state Supreme Court and only release them if they upheld Harris winning and Bagel and Calthrina would still insist that the Democrats protesting their actions are the real problem because they're being "uncivil" and "sore losers".
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #1843 on: December 05, 2018, 04:27:50 AM »

Abolish the Senate, double the size of the House, introduce mixed member proportional, abolish the Presidency and have the executive chosen from the House as in a parliamentary system.

No thank you!

"And don't tell me about London and Berlin, god save us from the mess they are in".

Except the German and (admittedly slightly more arguably) the British constitutional systems are far more efficient than the American and in 2018 it's blind nationalism to argue anything else. US-style 'checks and balances' just leads to total legislative gridlock and periodic political crises, and in the power vacuum policy being enacted through dubious executive orders and SCOTUS legislating from the bench.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #1844 on: December 06, 2018, 02:45:02 AM »

Probably McCready even though Harris deserves it.

Wait, why would you support Harris?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Harris_(North_Carolina_politician)

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Ohhh, I see now..
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1845 on: December 06, 2018, 03:37:50 AM »

Makes sense. The GOP can't survive the demographic changes. It's only a matter of time before they collapse completely.

Good lord, STOP already. The GOP has survived far worse than this. Just 10 years ago Dems had like 260 House seats, 60 Senate seats, and the presidency. Not to mention tiny little things like the Great Depression and Watergate...

As if the GOP under Trumpism can adapt to demographic changes. The country will be the most ethnic it's ever been. I don't see anything wrong with what I said.

You’re assuming that the entire ethos of the GOP will remain stagnant, that demographics will remain stagnant, and that the reaction to Democrats in constant power with unchecked authority will be fully and always accepted.

In 1937 the GOP had been reduced to a tiny minority. They were relegated mostly to WASPs in New England. The youth vote had gone 85% for Roosevelt in the 1936 election (the GOP lost nationally by 24 points). They looked totally and utterly destroyed as a political party and the immigrant waves of Irish, Italian, Polish, Jewish, and other catholic groups looked poised to supplant them entirely. Southerners were still stubbornly Democratic. African Americans had been added to the Democratic Party coalition as well.

They still survived. It’s one thing to argue that demographic change will make Republican majorities both smaller and a less common event, but to argue that they’ll collapse entirely is naive.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #1846 on: December 06, 2018, 10:29:35 PM »

Keep in mind there were a lot of people (including many Trump voters) who wanted to simply burn down the establishment

This is both true and still desirable. Hell, the night my Uncle "came out" as a Trump supporter, he literally and drunkenly shouted "we're either going to restore this country or we're gonna burn it down!" I consider this quote to be the clarion call of Trumpism. It's just about tearing down as much as it is building up.

America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #1847 on: December 08, 2018, 10:15:09 AM »

No nation can claim it overall, and such thinking is just that path of arrogance.

I think we can. If not for us, the whole world would be overrun by the Axis in the 1940s
Wasn't aware you were Russian. In that case, good point.

If we weren’t supplying them post 1941, they would’ve been decimated. Notice the only thing that stopped the Germans in Russia was 1) American/British equipment 2) Winter. Before then the Germans were at the gates of Moscow and starving out St. Petersburg

Yeah bro, they only lost like 50x the amount of people you did, so they obviously sacrificed much less than you did, since you know, Murica!

The fact that the Soviet Regime was a POS does not give you the right to steal the honour of the fallen Russian soldiers who defended their country. You helped, they fought.

Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #1848 on: December 10, 2018, 01:42:33 PM »

The red avatars show partisan leans due to fact, Trump will be remembered as 3rd term Dubya
Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -0.87

P P P
« Reply #1849 on: December 10, 2018, 06:17:13 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 69 70 71 72 73 [74] 75 76 77 78 79  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length