The Lief Reservoir of Simple Truths and Smart One-Liners
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 06:06:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  The Lief Reservoir of Simple Truths and Smart One-Liners
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 73 74 75 [76] 77 78 79
Author Topic: The Lief Reservoir of Simple Truths and Smart One-Liners  (Read 228178 times)
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1875 on: February 16, 2019, 05:39:32 PM »

Just to recap a couple things real quick:

Fuzzy Bear and Calthrina: "Ilhan Omar's choice of language about Israel and AIPAC reeks of antisemitism!"

Fuzzy Bear on immigration: "Those illegals are crashing our border like mindless zombies!"
Calthrina on immigration: "What we need is a final solution to this problem."

Donald Trump, every other day:  [something antisemitic], [something racist], [something sexist]
Fuzzy Bear: "Trump doesn't need to apologize; his opponents would never accept it, and that's their problem, not his."

Fuzzy Bear and Calthrina: "Omar needs to apologize!"
* Omar apologizes *
Fuzzy Bear: "I don't accept her fake apology.  She should be stripped of her committee assignments."

I think that about sums things up.

This is why Joe has been consistently the best poster on here for over a decade.

Him and Al, yes.
YE
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #1876 on: February 17, 2019, 09:45:16 AM »

Open borders is an ideal situation that will probably never happen though. I could support it down the line when it looks like it could work...if ever. But for now, and the foreseeable future, this gives Trump some prime fodder. I guess she figures that she won't have much of a presence in an increasingly crowded field, so f*** it, she's going all out.

No, it really isn't and I say that as a Gillibrand supporter.  Truly open borders would be a complete and utter disaster.  There's middle ground between open borders and Mortimerian xenophobia-fueled unconditional exclusion of anyone coming here from a poorer country. 
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1877 on: February 18, 2019, 11:45:24 PM »

Even those at their low can be redeemed, after all, we all turn to the dark roads at our worst once in a while. You just need to grow from these experiences and move forward with yourself.
Karpatsky
Ukraine

« Reply #1878 on: February 19, 2019, 08:47:51 AM »

Also, one very important point that I think is missed on a lot of Americans - US intervention abroad is not opposed by people in these countries anywhere near as much as some will have you believe. I wonder how many of the "not our problem" non-interventionists have actually talked to someone from a country where the US has intervened post-Cold War and conveying their opinion, and how many are just trying to use their position as a privileged white person to put words in their mouth and speak on their behalf about why they should pull themselves up by their bootstraps and fix their own problems.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #1879 on: February 19, 2019, 08:56:52 AM »

also, in my experience, nobody EVER complains about the patriarchy when there is a spider in the room.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #1880 on: February 19, 2019, 05:33:31 PM »

You can drink rat poison or you can drink roach poison.

... and yet you'd still have more intellectual capacity left over than a Libertarian.

Hey, at least we took Econ 101.

And promptly ceased your education then.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1881 on: February 20, 2019, 09:09:46 PM »

In no way did he imply that. Youre being disingenuous and its embarrassing.
I would ignore the bait if I were you
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #1882 on: February 21, 2019, 04:51:36 PM »

It's a resume booster. Looks great when applying for jobs working with the mentally handicapped.
No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1883 on: February 23, 2019, 11:41:31 AM »

These lawmakers should mind their own business.

Can we say the same for abortion?

(In regards to conversion therapy.)
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1884 on: February 24, 2019, 03:03:37 PM »

Interesting how whenever Sanders addresses criticism that he faces (and I'm not saying that he shouldn't face scrutiny; he should), it's never "enough." In his first week, he's admitted some of the mistakes that he made during his campaign four years ago, and is already starting to take a different tone, but his detractors seem to think that we should forgive any mistakes that other candidates made in the past, but that anything Sanders did wrong is unforgivable.
Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -0.87

P P P
« Reply #1885 on: February 25, 2019, 10:15:31 AM »

Im glad Atlas Posters arent in charge of actual political campaigns.
YE
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #1886 on: March 02, 2019, 09:58:20 AM »

Free trade = good

Unregulated free trade = bad

Tariffs = usually bad

Cooperation to ensure worker safety, consumer safety, environmental safety and fair competition as part of a trade deal = good.
Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #1887 on: March 02, 2019, 05:25:37 PM »

McCain and Romney weren't racist enough for them. Trump gave them exactly what they wanted.

Uh, if that was the case then I highly doubt Republicans across the country who are more moderate than Trump would be doing just as well as he did with these voters. look at Mike DeWine in Ohio or Rick Scott in Florida for example.

I think a bigger part of this is that many ancestrally Democratic voters in Appalachia and the rust belt have died and been replaced by younger voters who no longer feel any connection to the Democratic Party.
It’s not worth arguing with IceSpear. He thinks everyone who isn’t him is a racist and his takes are about 90% incorrect.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #1888 on: March 04, 2019, 12:32:09 PM »

Guys please stop making fun of his face.

He is blind.

Well that's his lifestyle choice.

This is amazing.

And then only gets more amazing once you realize that it's actually true.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1889 on: March 04, 2019, 08:31:32 PM »

"I'm not racist against this group, this group is actually a problem" is an admission, not a defense.
Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #1890 on: March 05, 2019, 10:44:09 AM »

It wont matter because by then OH would have become a titanium R state. Anyone would beat Brown by 15 points Tongue
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1891 on: March 05, 2019, 01:35:24 PM »

Looks like the House is getting ready to vote on a resolution condemning anti-Semitism: https://t.co/vNrxLyZ9PV. The Democratic leadership is definitely responding to this differently from many of the posters on here. As I've said before, I honestly think some of you would be standing up for Omar even if she called for jihad and for the deaths of those opposed to Islam.
This is blatant Islamophobia.

This is ridiculous. People on here are "offended" if someone were to attack Muslims, but anti-Semitism gets a free pass on here. My point was that even if Omar were espousing extreme views, people on here would run to her defense, as you just did.
Or maybe it's just that anti-Semitism doesn't make Islamophobia okay? You can clearly be against both, and you should if you actually care about religious discrimination instead of your pearl-clutching.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1892 on: March 06, 2019, 12:12:17 PM »

Yeah, that one's a winner.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #1893 on: March 07, 2019, 04:16:04 PM »

Trump voters dont actually care about this since most just voted for him cuz they like him and their entire reasoning and justification for continuing to support him is just made up with the story reajusted daily to avoid looking like complete hacks
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1894 on: March 09, 2019, 01:54:29 PM »

The notion of Mississippi doing something right is enough to send BRTD in to a BSOD.
Atlas Force
mlee117379
United States

« Reply #1895 on: March 09, 2019, 05:41:22 PM »

What people are missing here over all the usual complaints about Democratic virtual signalling is that this is actually a rather hilarious backfire on the part of the GOP. They intended the bill to put Democrats in an awkward position by making Omar singled out as a target for condemnation, but Democrats kept adding so many amendments to dilute the intent of the bill and make it possible for even Omar to vote in favor of it. This of course, caused 23 Republicans to vote against it.

The messaging takeaway from this has been that Republicans singled out Omar for condemnation over anti-semitic comments and then had 23 of their own members vote against an anti-semitism bill. Turning the bill into an empty virtue signal was the point, it caused a PR flop for House Republicans because McCarthy couldn't hold the caucus together after the revisions.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1896 on: March 09, 2019, 09:19:04 PM »

How can an unvaccinated person sicken a bunch of vaccinated people?

The same way people who get flu shots still get the flu.

The point of vaccines isn't that if you're vaccinated you're forever immune to the disease. That's true of most people, but not all. And there are people who can not be vaccinated due to other medical conditions. However if everyone else is vaccinated, then that results in herd immunity. This is why not being vaccinated isn't defensible as "muh personal freedoms and choice!" sort of thing, it's a health risk that threatens others.

It is just like how they still throw around personal freedom to defend secondhand smoke and then attack the science.

You are free to be an idiot, but you are not free to endanger other people with your idiocy.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1897 on: March 10, 2019, 01:53:22 PM »

There must be some reasonable middle ground between the two extremities: "but he's a great artist and nothing else matters" and going full damnatio memoriae.
Atlas Force
mlee117379
United States

« Reply #1898 on: March 11, 2019, 10:43:58 AM »

Not yet, but she needs to learn how to talk about foreign policy without putting her foot in her mouth.

The disingenuous and selective “outrage” Republicans have about antisemitism is pretty patronizing to me, personally. Yes, there are antisemitics on the left. That doesn’t mean you get to claim moral superiority on the issue and ignore antisemitism that is less politically convenient to point out.
YE
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #1899 on: March 12, 2019, 09:20:23 PM »

Thank you for establishing how Warren is good at drafting policy and writing bills, and how Sanders is able to captivate an audience and sell policy to the public. Thats one of the big reasons Sanders is above Warren in my ranking, Warren is not charismatic but good on policy, shes more suitable for State Senate Majority Leader, and while Sanders doesnt have all the details, he oozes Charisma, which is what you need to win the presidency and govern as an executive.
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 73 74 75 [76] 77 78 79  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies