Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 17, 2019, 05:44:20 am
News: 2019 Gubernatorial Predictions are now active

Atlas Forum
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: Gustaf, afleitch, Hash, Both Sides™)
  Notre Dame is burning.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] Print
Author Topic: Notre Dame is burning.  (Read 4519 times)
Lechasseur
YaBB God
France

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: May 11, 2019, 01:35:32 pm »

https://www.rtbf.be/info/monde/detail_l-architecte-belgo-parisien-vincent-callebaut-propose-son-projet-pour-notre-dame?id=10216877&fbclid=IwAR15bCg0vvWW__Ih4Kvt0IiiHWkDsGLZJqHrPENg1h2nwRL8eGOFJDhQvQk

A serious proposal for the restauration of Notre Dame...it's disgusting!

I actually don't mind this, but that's primarily because I really, really love the interior of the Sagrada Familia.

It is very pretty, but it's not Notre Dame. Let this architect build his own cathedral somewhere else.

EXACTLY! You don't mix styles like that
Lechasseur
YaBB God
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #151 on: May 11, 2019, 01:41:13 pm »

https://www.rtbf.be/info/monde/detail_l-architecte-belgo-parisien-vincent-callebaut-propose-son-projet-pour-notre-dame?id=10216877&fbclid=IwAR15bCg0vvWW__Ih4Kvt0IiiHWkDsGLZJqHrPENg1h2nwRL8eGOFJDhQvQk

A serious proposal for the restauration of Notre Dame...it's disgusting!
If they actually build that glass monstrosity then frankly they should just raze the whole thing.

Exactly, I'd rather see it be left as a ruin at this point.

Most French people want it restored the way it was, or at least have it fit the original style, but Macron and LREM don't care, they're adamant on having a modern monstrosity built.

https://www.francetvinfo.fr/culture/arts-expos/architecture/notre-dame-de-paris-les-francais-majoritairement-opposes-a-une-loi-d-exception-pour-accelerer-la-reconstruction-selon-un-sondage_3435847.html?fbclid=IwAR2SujHYEfTl6s9KqQgT0ABD9YUx53VSLHmOm_rN3cEOgResAUWZMwTZnP4

The proof the French are opposed to "reconstruction" in a modern design, and with these abortions called "designs" being submitted, that number will continue to rise. Anyone with decent taste will be opposed soon.
Lechasseur
YaBB God
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #152 on: May 11, 2019, 01:42:55 pm »
« Edited: May 11, 2019, 01:47:28 pm by Lechasseur »

I reject the notion that cosmopolitcan secularism would want to ruin Notre Dame by building some IM Pei-style monstrosity. I really don't know if that trend really has a demographic supporting it beyond architects who want to make a name for themselves.

You'd be surprised.

Our government and LREM fit that demographic and they support it.
Both Sides™
Kalwejt
YaBB God

« Reply #153 on: May 11, 2019, 01:58:47 pm »

That new spire is probably intended to represent Macron's manhood. He'll probably like it to be furnished with gold too.
RoboWop
AMB1996
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: 5.74

« Reply #154 on: May 11, 2019, 02:17:28 pm »

mfw Macron attempts to rebuild Notre Dame as some modernist disaster

Img
¢®🅰ß 🦀 ©@k€ 🎂
CrabCake
YaBB God
Kiribati

« Reply #155 on: May 11, 2019, 02:19:16 pm »

What I'm most worried about is if they super rush the rebuild so Macron can be in charge of opening it in his second term, which would doubtless cause an embarrassingly shoddy bit of workmanship.
Deeply Disturbing
jk2020
YaBB God

« Reply #156 on: May 11, 2019, 03:00:08 pm »

Eh, I actually think that mixing styles of architecture like this can work quite well in some instances.

But this really isn't the proper scenario to be doing it. As someone said above, it's not Notre Dame.
Both Sides™
Kalwejt
YaBB God

« Reply #157 on: May 12, 2019, 02:10:11 pm »

What I'm most worried about is if they super rush the rebuild so Macron can be in charge of opening it in his second term, which would doubtless cause an embarrassingly shoddy bit of workmanship.

The last thing we need is to see another fire because someone screws up.
Blairite
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #158 on: May 12, 2019, 03:22:00 pm »

I think a modern rebuild could be the right call, if done correctly. Look to the Reichstag for more. Trying to make it like it was as if the fire never happened and it was still the 1300s just seems disingenuous. Preserve and salvage all that stands, but build the roof to represent contemporary France (and TBF, I've always found the interior of the Notre Dame far too dark.)
Lechasseur
YaBB God
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #159 on: May 12, 2019, 03:27:21 pm »

I think a modern rebuild could be the right call, if done correctly. Look to the Reichstag for more. Trying to make it like it was as if the fire never happened and it was still the 1300s just seems disingenuous. Preserve and salvage all that stands, but build the roof to represent contemporary France (and TBF, I've always found the interior of the Notre Dame far too dark.)

Eww gross no!

Leave it as it is now if that's your plan
Lechasseur
YaBB God
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #160 on: May 26, 2019, 08:31:51 am »

http://www.lefigaro.fr/flash-actu/notre-dame-hidalgo-veut-une-renovation-a-l-identique-de-la-toiture-et-la-charpente-20190526?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR3-GdnN9xkldBg737CTQuitbgQ5Dgr5KplKfcPEWA383vvJY2u3Nk8c5L8#Echobox=1558869035

Even the PS mayor of Paris, Anne Hidalgo, wants Notre Dame restored identically to how it was before. Jupiter needs to listen.
Lechasseur
YaBB God
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #161 on: May 31, 2019, 05:57:22 pm »

https://www.thelocal.fr/20190528/french-senate-says-notre-dame-must-be-restored-exactly-to-how-it-was?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&fbclid=IwAR2aFFGIb_O1rjm5Lv9kBbmzI4MxbFg41O0HcYs29j8MnTdYf71jDhrSg8E

The French Senate says Notre Dame must be restored exactly how it was
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.16, S: -6.52

« Reply #162 on: May 31, 2019, 08:28:16 pm »

https://www.thelocal.fr/20190528/french-senate-says-notre-dame-must-be-restored-exactly-to-how-it-was?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&fbclid=IwAR2aFFGIb_O1rjm5Lv9kBbmzI4MxbFg41O0HcYs29j8MnTdYf71jDhrSg8E

The French Senate says Notre Dame must be restored exactly how it was

Good. I'm fine with some internal structural updates, since it's not like we have a lot of enormous 800 year old oak trees laying around, but the restoration should be as close to original as possible.
Lechasseur
YaBB God
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #163 on: June 06, 2019, 08:36:24 am »

https://www.lemonde.fr/culture/article/2019/06/05/notre-dame-desaccord-profond-entre-l-assemblee-et-le-senat_5471717_3246.html

The National Assembly and the Senate can't come up with a compromise on the Notre Dame restoration (or as LREM would say, "reconstruction") bill, and given in France if both houses can't agree, the lower house has the last word, it looks like Macron will get the bill he wants and will be able to do whatever he wants to Notre Dame.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.16, S: -6.52

« Reply #164 on: June 15, 2019, 01:39:50 pm »

AP: Notre Dame celebrates 1st Mass since devastating April fire

PARIS — The archbishop wore a hard-hat helmet, burnt wood debris was still visible and only about 30 people were let inside, but Notre Dame Cathedral on Saturday held its first Mass since the devastating April 15th fire that ravaged its roof and toppled its masterpiece spire.

Exactly two months after the blaze engulfed the landmark Gothic building in the French capital, the service was celebrated by Paris Archbishop Michel Aupetit in a chapel behind the choir, a place confirmed by construction experts as safe.

French Culture Minister Franck Riester said this week the cathedral remains in a "fragile" state, especially its vaulted ceiling, which is still at risk of collapsing.

For security reasons, only about 30 people — mainly priests, canons and church employees — were admitted inside the cathedral for the service, while Aupetit and others wore construction worker's helmets. Some of the workers rebuilding the church were also invited.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length
Logout

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies