🇦🇹 Austria General Discussion
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:53:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  🇦🇹 Austria General Discussion
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 25
Author Topic: 🇦🇹 Austria General Discussion  (Read 67862 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #300 on: May 31, 2018, 11:21:45 PM »

A 15-year old girl was brutally raped by 3 "dark-skinned" men with "foreign languages" in a wooded area in Lower Austria.

All 59 men in a nearby asylum seeker centre have been DNA-tested ...

https://kurier.at/chronik/niederoesterreich/15-jaehrige-in-tulln-vergewaltigt-erstmals-massen-dna-test-in-oestereich/264.211.550

In a verdict that is causing a HUGE outcry right now, 2 men (Somali and Afghan asylum seekers) who were charged with the rape, have been aquitted because 2 jury members didn't believe the girl.

And this despite sperm and DNA-evidence of the men were found on the victim. A 3rd suspect has even disappeared from the country alltogether ...

https://www.wienerzeitung.at/nachrichten/oesterreich/chronik/955374_Freisprueche-im-Zweifel-im-Prozess-um-Vergewaltigung.html

Unbelieveable. I think this was definitely a wrong verdict.

The Afghan will be deported to Kabul today.

Smiley

Justice.

https://kurier.at/chronik/niederoesterreich/nach-freispruch-wartet-nun-der-abschiebeflieger/400043920
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #301 on: June 03, 2018, 02:06:20 AM »

A nasty Dutch con-artist was recently arrested here in Zell am See for several fraud and theft cases:

https://www.meinbezirk.at/pinzgau/lokales/betruegerin-in-zell-am-see-festgenommen-d2621729.html

The Dutch woman, who stole a car in the Netherlands, then drove to Austria where she stole license plates from cars.

She then filled up at gas stations without paying and slept in hotels ... without paying.

She also had fake ID documents from the Netherlands and Belgium with her.

She was arrested and brought to the Salzburg City prison.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #302 on: June 08, 2018, 09:16:14 AM »

Austria to shut down mosques, expel foreign-funded imams

You must be logged in to read this quote.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-austria-politics-islam/austria-plans-to-shut-down-mosques-expel-foreign-funded-imams-idUSKCN1J40X1

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2018/06/austria-shut-7-mosques-expel-dozens-imams-180608074940766.html

Excellent stuff.

We have long been way too naive in Europe on these developments and it's time to take our countries back from the claws of these Islamists and their foreign aiders and abettors.
Karpatsky
Ukraine

« Reply #303 on: June 08, 2018, 10:03:26 AM »

Good. Shut down the churches next.

</edge>

Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #304 on: June 08, 2018, 12:19:29 PM »

</edge>

Our churches are as empty as never before and not breeding grounds for extremism like the Muslim inner-city mosques ...
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #305 on: June 08, 2018, 12:24:43 PM »

The mosques have already been closed today.

Signs reading "closed" in Arabic and Turkish languages have been put on the entrance.

4 of them are in Vienna (among them the infamous Grey Wolves mosque, where Nazi-like Turkish salutes were commonplace, even among kids).

"Worshippers" who wanted to get into the mosque today for "prayer" stood outside in disbelief, while passers-by in cars shouted "Oh, you finally got to pack your bags ?", "Go home !" and "F**k off !" to them ...

https://derstandard.at/2000081246064/Geschlossene-Moscheen-Ratlose-Muslime-besorgte-Experten
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #306 on: June 08, 2018, 01:40:17 PM »

Austria leads the way.
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #307 on: June 08, 2018, 04:55:12 PM »

Good for Austria. I think it's also high time for only imams educated in the EU to be allowed to preach in EU mosques. Many other professions have such requirements, so why shouldn't this apply to the imams, when it has been repeatedly shown how dangerous their influence can be.
Lachi
lok1999
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -1.06, S: -3.02

« Reply #308 on: June 08, 2018, 06:19:28 PM »

</edge>

Our churches are as empty as never before and not breeding grounds for extremism like the Muslim inner-city mosques ...
But as has been proven elsewhere, they are breeding grounds for rampant child sexual abuse.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #309 on: June 09, 2018, 05:20:06 AM »

Although I'm not a fan of Sebastian Kurz and his government coalition, but I fully support the decision to take on political Islam and expell some problematic preachers. That sends a strong signal that anyone who wants to welcome in Europe must respect the rule of law and basic things such as women's rights. I wish Germany would be much tougher on this whole subject as well. It would also weaken the AfD nutjobs.
EPG
« Reply #310 on: June 09, 2018, 05:24:00 AM »

Why should a religion have a positive fundamental view on society? Most religions want a fundamental re-making of society in a holy alternative image, except the captive state organisations like the Church of England. This is Chinese Communist Party-level stuff.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #311 on: June 09, 2018, 06:10:27 AM »

I don't know how to think about this. Recently I have to started to generally shift towards a more American perspective on freedom of speech/expression (and before anybody asks, that includes for the alt right as well) and I'm uncomfortable with the idea of shutting down dissent for political gain. Then again, Islamism is generally a menace that doesn't play fair in the "marketplace of ideas" due to its subsidy by foreign governments, so I dunno really.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #312 on: June 09, 2018, 08:04:46 AM »

I don't know how to think about this. Recently I have to started to generally shift towards a more American perspective on freedom of speech/expression (and before anybody asks, that includes for the alt right as well) and I'm uncomfortable with the idea of shutting down dissent for political gain. Then again, Islamism is generally a menace that doesn't play fair in the "marketplace of ideas" due to its subsidy by foreign governments, so I dunno really.

Very good points. The ironic thing is that these "foreign governments" are being lavishly subsidized by our governments.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #313 on: June 09, 2018, 09:55:44 AM »

So is Israel the emblematic example of Political Judaism? Are American evangelical political activists Political Christianity?

This is yet another example of criminalizing Muslims who dare to speak out - or worse, declaring them a terrorist national security threat. F--k that disgusting bigoted bullsh*t.
nicholas.slaydon
Ukraine

« Reply #314 on: June 09, 2018, 11:59:12 AM »

Although I'm not a fan of Sebastian Kurz and his government coalition, but I fully support the decision to take on political Islam and expell some problematic preachers. That sends a strong signal that anyone who wants to welcome in Europe must respect the rule of law and basic things such as women's rights. I wish Germany would be much tougher on this whole subject as well. It would also weaken the AfD nutjobs.
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: 2.43

« Reply #315 on: June 09, 2018, 12:12:07 PM »

Is it just in America where we hold freedoms of speech and religion as sacred? It sounds like many of the European posters in this thread agree with this, while I know of many Americans, from far-right to far-left, that would see this as violating freedoms of religion.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #316 on: June 09, 2018, 12:36:31 PM »

Is it just in America where we hold freedoms of speech and religion as sacred? It sounds like many of the European posters in this thread agree with this, while I know of many Americans, from far-right to far-left, that would see this as violating freedoms of religion.
Yeah, I don't think radical imams (foreign-funded or not) should have a right to spread their hatred in our societies and intoxicate the minds of their followers with ideas that do not have a place in Europe, prevent integration, and cause the distance between Muslim communities and mainstream society to increase: it's bad for everybody involved to allow this.
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: 2.43

« Reply #317 on: June 09, 2018, 12:38:51 PM »

Yeah, I don't think radical imams (foreign-funded or not) should have a right to spread their hatred in our societies and intoxicate the minds of their followers with ideas that do not have a place in Europe, prevent integration, and cause the distance between Muslim communities and mainstream society to increase: it's bad for everybody involved to allow this.
I'm not sure I'm fully educated on the matter - what exactly do these people do?
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #318 on: June 09, 2018, 02:43:58 PM »

There's no freedom of association in Europe, as it turns out. Not good!

I hate these mosques as much as anyone else but this is not a panacea or a solution, it's a cheap political strategy. I don't think that multiculturalism has worked but neither have the heavy-handed actions of states seeking to force conformity among immigrants.
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #319 on: June 09, 2018, 02:54:20 PM »

Sounds like a lot of the Kurz-Strache government to be honest, lots of symbolic identitarian stuff, but very little to address the underlying cause behind why certain immigrant groups, even after three generations, have not succesfully integrated into Austrian (or German, Dutch, French for that matter) society.

But then, Europe is a big and diverse place, and the experience of one migrant group in one country does not necessarily set a template for the experiences of every immigrant group on the continent.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #320 on: June 09, 2018, 03:52:18 PM »

Yup. I'll say that in general Americans have a more "laissez faire" approach to freedom of religion and freedom of speech while most European countries have more restrictive approaches. Whether that's a good or a bad thing though I don't know.

I will say that for my country (Spain), freedom of speech is almost certainly too restricted (tons of people have been unfairly sent to jail). But I will say we are doing ok in freedom of religion.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #321 on: June 09, 2018, 06:12:35 PM »

Yup. I'll say that in general Americans have a more "laissez faire" approach to freedom of religion and freedom of speech while most European countries have more restrictive approaches. Whether that's a good or a bad thing though I don't know.

I will say that for my country (Spain), freedom of speech is almost certainly too restricted (tons of people have been unfairly sent to jail). But I will say we are doing ok in freedom of religion.

If my country were say throwing journalists in prison, I would not say we are doing ok in freedom of the press... Why do you say Spain is doing ok in freedom of speech? Am I missing something?
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #322 on: June 09, 2018, 06:21:14 PM »

I will say that most of those radicalised by Isis have not done so in mosques. Which is not to say that the salafi mosques are not an issue, but I don't know how important they are in the specific context of violent jihadism.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #323 on: June 09, 2018, 07:50:19 PM »
« Edited: June 09, 2018, 08:02:00 PM by DavidB. »

I will say that most of those radicalised by Isis have not done so in mosques. Which is not to say that the salafi mosques are not an issue, but I don't know how important they are in the specific context of violent jihadism.
Yeah, I think here they were mostly not welcome in mosques, and those who have gone that far down the rabbit hole are also likely to be paranoid enough to avoid going there, as intelligence services usually know damn well in which mosques they should have infiltrators and sources. Those who are at that stage of radicalization usually meet up in living rooms. Radicalization often does start in these mosques though.

Not completely convinced salafism was the issue here, even though Kurz and Strache did mention political Islam, because they also talked about far-right extremism and ties to the Grey Wolves. That's a whole different issue, I'd say. At least organizations tied to the Grey Wolves here are associated with different types of problematic behavior (violent crime, mafia stuff, intimidation of political opponents in other Turkish organizations), but not with salafism, which is more of a problem in Arab than in Turkish mosques in the first place.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #324 on: June 09, 2018, 08:40:33 PM »

Yeah, I think here they were mostly not welcome in mosques, and those who have gone that far down the rabbit hole are also likely to be paranoid enough to avoid going there, as intelligence services usually know damn well in which mosques they should have infiltrators and sources. Those who are at that stage of radicalization usually meet up in living rooms. Radicalization often does start in these mosques though.

Not completely convinced salafism was the issue here, even though Kurz and Strache did mention political Islam, because they also talked about far-right extremism and ties to the Grey Wolves. That's a whole different issue, I'd say. At least organizations tied to the Grey Wolves here are associated with different types of problematic behavior (violent crime, mafia stuff, intimidation of political opponents in other Turkish organizations), but not with salafism, which is more of a problem in Arab than in Turkish mosques in the first place.

Yeah, the Grey Wolves connection is a lot less sticky a reason to target these mosques and organisations; they're basically a criminal syndicate like the Mafia.

I don't think people or religions should be targeted because they are conservative though, as long as they are not preaching hate (calls to genocide etc). That said, I think the state should work with religions to make them less patriarchal and closed off.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 25  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies