If we moved the nation's capital (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:17:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  If we moved the nation's capital (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: If we moved the nation's capital  (Read 6284 times)
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« on: January 01, 2015, 03:11:00 PM »

I would move it where the mean center of population is, which at the moment is in southern Missouri (in Texas County to be more precise).  Build a new city there from scratch.
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2015, 03:12:42 PM »

Denver would be a good spot for the capital. It's a beautiful city and would a lot more central than DC. The current capital is quickly becoming farther and father from the center of population which makes it harder and harder for the average American to visit it.

It is far easier to arrange a trip from Honolulu to DC today than from Atlanta to DC in 1800.  Possibly 1900.

No it's not.  I live in Honolulu and it's really difficult to travel to the East Coast.
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2015, 03:18:31 PM »

I don't like the idea of the Capital in New York. The city has enough security concerns and is crazy and crowded enough as is.

Philadelphia has the historic significance and seems like it would be the best option.

Yeah the best option is 3 time zones away from the nation's biggest state.

Like I said, the best option is the mean center of population.
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2015, 03:55:19 PM »

No one wants to live in f[inks]ing Kansas City. You realize that hundreds of thousands of people (and their families) have to willingly live in and around whatever city is selected, right?

No one would want to live in Washington either if it wasn't the nation's capital.
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2015, 05:21:55 PM »

No one wants to live in f[inks]ing Kansas City. You realize that hundreds of thousands of people (and their families) have to willingly live in and around whatever city is selected, right?

No one would want to live in Washington either if it wasn't the nation's capital.

Are you saying a 16 hour flight is harder than a 4-5 day train ride you'd get from a much closer city 1900?

WTF are you talking about?  First, you're replying to the wrong message.  Second, my point is that it is really difficult to fly from Honolulu to any city on the East Coast.  It's both incredibly expensive and time-consuming.  And forget Hawaii.  Flying from California (our biggest state) to the East Coast is also very expensive.  The point remains that having the capital on the East Coast is a bad idea in 2014.  I disagree with suggestions such as Denver or a city on the Pacific Coast because it would be too far from the East Coast, but if the capital was to move, a more central location should be chosen.

And that's actually what was done when the location of the current capital was chosen (the mean center of population in 1790-1800 was in the area where DC is).
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2015, 08:21:14 PM »
« Edited: January 02, 2015, 08:25:33 PM by locke lamora »

Would residents of the new capital, presumably created in an existing state, be stripped of their voting rights as a matter of tradition?

Only 38% of residents of the nation's capital are government employees. There's a lot more happening in D.C. aside from the federal government, believe it or not.

I've lived in the DC area before and I probably know the city better than you, but thank you for the information smartass.  My point is that DC was a swamp before it became the capital and much of what attracts people to the city would not be there if another city became the capital.  The new capital (even if it's a really boring place now) would eventually become an appealing destination.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies