Liberal Places/Conservative Places
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:10:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Liberal Places/Conservative Places
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]
Author Topic: Liberal Places/Conservative Places  (Read 31460 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: July 09, 2006, 04:55:18 PM »

Why are we all bumping ancient threads again?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #101 on: July 09, 2006, 07:55:15 PM »

I'd hardly call Princeton conservative. Tongue

Well, as far as Ivies go, Princeton University is certainly conservative.  Probably not as conservative as Dartmouth, though.

I would think the town is split.

No...Kerry won over 70 percent in Princeton Township and a victory of more than 3-to-1 in Princeton Borough.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #102 on: July 10, 2006, 04:35:06 PM »
« Edited: July 10, 2006, 04:39:46 PM by jfern »

The top 5 research universities are all in very liberal cities.

They were
- Stanford in Palo Altio, CA 77.71% Kerry
- UC Berkeley in Berkeley, CA 91.22% Kerry
- Univ. Michigan in Ann Harbor, MI not sure how much Kerry
- Cornell in Ithaca, NY low '80s Kerry
- Univ. Wisconsin in Madison, WI, around 80% Kerry I think

Palo Alto might be the most conservative, but East Palo Alto went 88.66% Kerry.

I found a different ranking this one goes

Stanford
UC Berkeley
Harvard
Univ. of Michigan
Princeton
MIT
Columbia
Yale
Univ. of Chicago
Cornell

Again fairly liberal. Wisconsin ranks 12th here.
http://www.philosophicalgourmet.com/topresearch.htm
Q
QQQQQQ

Political Matrix
E: 2.26, S: -4.88

« Reply #103 on: July 10, 2006, 06:55:07 PM »

Hey, I made up some random college rankings, too.  But I don't share them with people since I know they're wrong.  Kind of like those, actually.

I'd go with U.S. News & World Report over "Philosophical Gourmet" any day.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #104 on: July 11, 2006, 06:53:46 PM »

They were

I found a different ranking this one goes

Stanford
UC Berkeley
Harvard
Univ. of Michigan
Princeton
MIT
Columbia
Yale
Univ. of Chicago
Cornell

Again fairly liberal. Wisconsin ranks 12th here.
http://www.philosophicalgourmet.com/topresearch.htm

Ann Arbor went for Kerry 77-22 over Bush in 2004.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #105 on: July 11, 2006, 06:56:14 PM »

In my state.

Most Democrat:
Detroit
Flint
Ann Arbor
Southeastern Oakland County
Ypsilanti
Saginaw
Downriver Wayne County burbs
The UP (Local level only)

Most Republican:

Livingston County

Shouldn't Lake County be listed as Most Democrat? In some elections its the only one on the lower Peninsula besides Wayne and Washtenaw to vote Democrat. All the counties around it seem strongly Republican.

What is Livingston County like? It seems like ex-urban Detroit from what I can tell, do you think it will trend Democrat like Oakland, or is it too conservative for that?

Keeweenaw County rules Smiley

Lake County (economic lib, social conservative) leans democrat, but it's not a stronghold like it used to be. Posthumus and Bush (04) came close to winning it. Kerry only got 51% there so it's a purple county now. I believe Granholm closed a prison, so it may go GOP in the next election. The Baldwin area will certainly go democrat (large black population there), but the county itself may flip. It'll be close however.

Livingston's an exurban (about 1/2 suburban, 1/2 rural) county between Detroit and Lansing. It's not going democrat anytime soon and both economic and social conservative (and very pro-gun).

Oakland doesn't start treading democrat until East of I-275 (Farmington Hills, West Bloomfield - high Jewish populations) Novi MIGHT start to switch, but still is about 55% GOP. Oakland's flipped democrat not because of social issues (outside of Royal Oak and Birmingham areas), but because of migrations. Blacks make Southfield more democrat than Pontiac, and many of the Jews there moved to West Bloomfield and to a lesser extent Farmington Hills.

I've never been to Keewenaw County or the Western UP. I've been to Tahquanemon Falls,and that rules. Keewenaw is certainly on the list to visit.

Keewenaw county is very scenic. Highly recommended for anyone. The entire western UP is beautiful, and a very interesting area. Al would love it with its mining heritage.
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -3.55, S: 2.70

« Reply #106 on: July 13, 2006, 01:53:45 PM »

They were

I agree with Q.  You're an idiot if you call this list of random universities the top 5 research institutions in America.  That list is worse than U.S. News.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #107 on: October 18, 2006, 12:56:05 AM »

Minneapolis is an unusual case--it has large proportions of both feminist activists and pro-life activists.

Funny you should say that.  Because in Minnesota, it is also entirely normal and accepted to be a card carrying member of the NRA and the ACLU.

Minnesota:

Northeast:  Duluth is liberal, the iron range is economically liberal, socially moderate
Northwest:  Socially conservative, economically liberal
Southwest:  Socially conservative, economically moderate
Central:  Conservative
Minneapolis/St. Paul:  Liberal as can be
Suburbs:  Just like every other suburb in America:  White, upper-middle class, conservative
South:  Socially conservative, economically moderate.. very independent.

Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #108 on: October 18, 2006, 01:04:15 AM »

Sorry to post twice in a row, but I think our current representatives in congress provide a good picture of the state:

District 1:  Independent.  They generally go Republican, but their GOP congressman could be ousted by DFLer Tim Walz.  This convers the entire southern 5th of the state.

District 2:  Conservative.  This covers the soutehrn suburbs/exurbs down through the German farming country of south-central MN.  Their congressman is conservative.

District 3:  Moderate:  Can go either way, though it favors moderate Republicans.  Currently, Jim Ramstad, one of the more liberal Republicans, represents the district.

District 4 and 5:  Let's face it, Republicans don't stand a chance here (Minneapolis and St. Paul)

District 6:  Right leaning.  Mark Kennedy represents t his district.  I don't want to write about him, because it will simply make me mad, so you can find your own info on him.

District 7:  Collin Peterson is a conservative Democrat that has a strong liberal streak for farming issues, trade issues, education, and health care.  He is pro life, pro gun (probably the most avid hunter in the house), and opposes gay marriage.  I would call him a DINO, but that would be a slap in the face to the things he has done/tried to do for public education, farmers, and small business owners.

District 8:  Jim Oberstar is a pro-life liberal (I know, it's weird).  As long as this district runs pro-life liberals, Republicans don't stand a chance.

So, the typical makeup of a Minnesota delegation could swing back from 5/3 or evenly split for Democrats or Republicans.  With the wave coming in this election, it could very well lop over into a 6/2 split for Democrats, but I wouldn't call this a long term position.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #109 on: October 18, 2006, 01:13:29 AM »

District 1:  Independent.  They generally go Republican, but their GOP congressman could be ousted by DFLer Tim Walz.  This convers the entire southern 5th of the state.

That's where I live. It's a rather mixed bag. Generally conservative, but there are some very liberal pockets (obviously Mankato where I live and the Austin-Albert Lea area.) And Walz is running a great campaign and I've met him, awesome guy. I really hope he pulls this off.

District 6:  Right leaning.  Mark Kennedy represents t his district.  I don't want to write about him, because it will simply make me mad

Haha, I know exactly where you're coming from. At least we can enjoy watching him lose big to Klobuchar in November.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies