2015 Academy Awards Discussion
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 09:46:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  2015 Academy Awards Discussion
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8
Author Topic: 2015 Academy Awards Discussion  (Read 13889 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: February 09, 2015, 01:17:10 PM »

He's a hack.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #76 on: February 09, 2015, 01:20:01 PM »

I know your point. Hitchcock definitely deserved an Oscar. I disagree that James Cameron is one who didn't. He's definitely a worthy director.

Titanic was a disaster.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #77 on: February 09, 2015, 01:37:10 PM »

I know your point. Hitchcock definitely deserved an Oscar. I disagree that James Cameron is one who didn't. He's definitely a worthy director.

Titanic was a disaster.

The effects were the perfect blend of CGI and practical, seemless. The framing device of the elderly woman and the search had pay offs and built up the sinking of the ship, which was masterfully done. The romantic plot, though cornball, was probably the best way to show both classes of the ship in one story without making it an ensemble piece with multiple unrelated plots.

It was as good of a Titanic movie as one could make.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #78 on: February 09, 2015, 06:50:08 PM »

I think an ensemble piece with multiple only loosely related plots is exactly the sort of treatment that the Titanic calls for, honestly.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #79 on: February 09, 2015, 07:13:25 PM »

It's become very trendy to bash Titanic now. Of course forgetting that it was an incredible technical achievement. Even now, the effects don't look 'obvious'. Not that I'm a huge fan of Cameron... but singling him out when you have Tom Hooper, Mel Gibson etc etc to choose from.

On topic - this is going down to the wire. Yes, BAFTA is a good indicator - but frankly, in recent years, DGA has a better record. As mentioned, the last film to win PGA, SAG and DGA and lose BP was Apollo 13, and it should be noted that unlike Birdman, Howard wasn't nominated for Director.

As we know... I don't think Boyhood is a masterpiece, but I won't be annoyed if it wins (as I usually am most years) - I just think Birdman and TGBH are better pieces of overall filmcraft, and I frankly enjoyed both much more Tongue

What does bode well for Boyhood is the editing nomination from AMPAS that Birdman missed. Boyhood also won the ACE Eddie, which is actually a big get for it. Mind you TGBH hotel won the Comedy-Musical ACE.

What seems likely is that this year is going to be pretty divided, with no runaway winners.

Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #80 on: February 09, 2015, 07:19:35 PM »

Hitchcock, Gibson and Cameron all deserved oscars. The case for Cameron is shakiest, but only because he was going up against L.A. Confidential.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #81 on: February 09, 2015, 07:49:44 PM »

Hitchcock, Gibson and Cameron all deserved oscars. The case for Cameron is shakiest, but only because he was going up against L.A. Confidential.

This
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #82 on: February 09, 2015, 07:51:21 PM »

Come on guys. Cameron is just awful.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #83 on: February 09, 2015, 08:22:45 PM »

Cameron's dialogue is awful, but I don't think any other big budget director is better at creating a seamless, tightly plotted action movie. I think he's classic case of being called overrated to the point where he's underrated.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #84 on: February 09, 2015, 11:41:22 PM »

Cameron's dialogue is awful, but I don't think any other big budget director is better at creating a seamless, tightly plotted action movie. I think he's classic case of being called overrated to the point where he's underrated.

Terminator 1 and 2 and Aliens is a great resume by itself.  The problem is that he got overly praised by the media for Titanic and Avatar, despite the fact those are more works of film technology than storytelling.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #85 on: February 11, 2015, 01:35:38 PM »

Terminator 1 and 2 and Aliens is a great resume by itself.  The problem is that he got overly praised by the media for Titanic and Avatar, despite the fact those are more works of film technology than storytelling.

In fairness, Avatar was pretty awful.  However, I agree with the rest of your post.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #86 on: February 11, 2015, 02:01:36 PM »
« Edited: February 11, 2015, 02:09:14 PM by sex-negative feminist prude »

If we want to talk about questionable awards of the nineties let's talk about 1994. One can make an argument for Forrest Gump, Pulp Fiction, and The Shawshank Redemption all being very good films, but twenty years on it's hard to seriously argue that Forrest Gump is the best of the three. (Does anyone remember Four Weddings and a Funeral or Quiz Show any more?)
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #87 on: February 11, 2015, 05:28:34 PM »

Forrest Gump was an awful film.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #88 on: February 11, 2015, 06:10:32 PM »

Awful is a bit tough... but better or more deserving than Pulp Fiction or Shawshank? No. I do love Gump's soundtrack though.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #89 on: February 11, 2015, 06:19:01 PM »

(Does anyone remember Four Weddings and a Funeral or Quiz Show any more?)

I like both of them.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #90 on: February 11, 2015, 09:51:09 PM »

If we want to talk about questionable awards of the nineties let's talk about 1994. One can make an argument for Forrest Gump, Pulp Fiction, and The Shawshank Redemption all being very good films, but twenty years on it's hard to seriously argue that Forrest Gump is the best of the three. (Does anyone remember Four Weddings and a Funeral or Quiz Show any more?)

Quiz Show was better than Forrest Gump although both were good (but not great).  The Shawshank Redemption should've won that year although Pulp Fiction would've also been a worthy winner.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #91 on: February 11, 2015, 10:03:39 PM »

You obviously don't work in the British film industry, alas

As for Cameron being better than Gus Van Sant? Hahahaha whut. And I'm no fan of Van Sant.

Lost Highway was the best film of 1997 obviously
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #92 on: February 11, 2015, 10:06:57 PM »

I stopped going to the cinema regularly a few years ago so I'm not quite up to date but looking at the list of films that were nominated and won in the 90s I laugh in the face of anyone who thinks the academy's choices (or American cinema as a whole for that matter) has declined over the past 20 years.

Just felt like adding that.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #93 on: February 12, 2015, 01:42:52 AM »

van Sant has made some great films, but he also made the most pointless remake of all time, and also possibly the most pointless film of all time, and one of the most boring (Elephant).
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #94 on: February 12, 2015, 10:15:52 AM »

Van Sant directed Milk, that more than atones for the Psycho remake.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #95 on: February 12, 2015, 10:19:31 AM »

Van Sant is bland as hell. A true definition of a hack director. Milk and Good Will Hunting were entirely on the success of the screenplay. Any halfway competent Hollywood director could have made those movies.

Films he actually had complete creative control over (Gerry, Elephant, the Psycho remake) are the definition of unwatchable.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #96 on: February 12, 2015, 02:57:29 PM »

I'm obviously alone (well, that and the Cannes Jury) in thinking that Elephant is an excellent film albeit marred by one awful scene. Milk on the other hand is pure Oscar bait, not arguing that.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #97 on: February 12, 2015, 02:58:31 PM »

I've not seen Milk. Did it mention his links to the People's Temple or was it entirely sanitised?
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #98 on: February 12, 2015, 03:00:43 PM »

I've not seen Milk. Did it mention his links to the People's Temple or was it entirely sanitised?

I did say it was pure Oscar bait. Pity.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #99 on: February 12, 2015, 03:04:01 PM »

I did say it was pure Oscar bait. Pity.

That's a shame. Because there's a great film to be made about that bizarre episode in the history of California.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies