2015 Academy Awards Discussion (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 11:34:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  2015 Academy Awards Discussion (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2015 Academy Awards Discussion  (Read 13896 times)
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« on: February 23, 2015, 10:46:33 AM »

Good results!

As to the staying power bit, I'm not sure a lot of them have it, though. I really doubt that American Sniper has a lot of staying power. Anyone really remember The Hurt Locker? Or The Departed? Meanwhile, Goodfellas, which did not win all the way back in '90, is remembered as a true classic.

I think from what I have read Birdman was a great choice. I hope to catch it this week, I'm interested in its analysis of the movie industry. Also hope to catch The Theory of Everything sometime soon.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 05:31:11 PM »
« Edited: February 23, 2015, 05:35:34 PM by DemPGH »

I generally agree with realisticidealist. These are good dramas. Do we have The Godfather here? No. Not close.

(I admit that I'm not a fan of Wes Anderson).

The most staying power might be The Theory of Everything because it concerns an individual for whom there is much interest and fascination. Also Interstellar, yeah, because of the publicity and the name recognition behind it.

The Artist might have been a better recent example to cite, but The Departed is surely not on the same level as Goodfellas or even Raging Bull, movies that did not win best picture. To me, at least. It's anecdotal, but the last time I heard someone talk about The Departed was a few years ago. Like 2010. The last time I heard someone talk about Goodfellas, a twenty-five year old movie, was last week, actually.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies