WaPo / ABC nat. poll: Clinton leads Bush/Christie/Huck/Paul/Romney by 13-17 pts.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 06:28:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential General Election Polls
  WaPo / ABC nat. poll: Clinton leads Bush/Christie/Huck/Paul/Romney by 13-17 pts.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: WaPo / ABC nat. poll: Clinton leads Bush/Christie/Huck/Paul/Romney by 13-17 pts.  (Read 3514 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 18, 2015, 08:47:08 PM »
« edited: January 22, 2015, 07:49:22 AM by Mr. Morden »

Washington Post / ABC national poll:

http://www.langerresearch.com/uploads/1166a1HuckabeeClinton.pdf

Clinton 56%
Huckabee 39%

It looks like they may have tested other candidates as well, who'll be included in a full release (perhaps tomorrow), but wanted to release the Huckabee matchup this morning because of Huckabee being a guest today on ABC's "This Week".

UPDATE:

They've also released results for these additional matchups:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/page/2010-2019/WashingtonPost/2015/01/18/National-Politics/Polling/release_382.xml?uuid=oFZiJp8ZEeSR_H3_laFEWA

Clinton 54%
Paul 41%

Clinton 54%
Bush 41%

Clinton 53%
Christie 40%

Clinton 55%
Romney 40%
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2015, 08:59:07 PM »

By the way, this is an RV poll.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2015, 10:03:15 PM »

Dominating!
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2015, 10:09:45 PM »

Washington Post / ABC national poll:

http://www.langerresearch.com/uploads/1166a1HuckabeeClinton.pdf

Clinton 56%
Huckabee 39%

It looks like they may have tested other candidates as well, who'll be included in a full release (perhaps tomorrow), but wanted to release the Huckabee matchup this morning because of Huckabee being a guest today on ABC's "This Week".

Devastating. Probably splits the vote 57-43... Reagan got almost 59% of the vote in 1984.

Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2015, 10:20:27 PM »

Polling is reflective and not predictive - I think it suggests that at the moment, Clinton is a strong and viable national candidate... BUT things can and often do change. I don't see any reason to get excited about this yet.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2015, 10:24:32 PM »

This is how Bush/Gore looked in '99...
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2015, 10:27:11 PM »

Mmmhmmm
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2015, 10:41:26 PM »

My guess on what a 57-43 election looks like with Clinton against Huckabee

Out on a limb? Sure. The strongest percentage for a Democratic nominee since 1964 was Barack Obama in 2008, so a 57-43 split of the popular vote for a Democrat is uncharted territory. Huckabee has a regional strength, but huge regional weaknesses.     
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2015, 11:06:19 PM »

Early or not, I'd rather be ahead than behind. It's not like any candidate actually thinks: "Wow, I'm glad I start out behind double digits. Now I can be the second coming of Al Gore!"
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2015, 11:09:39 PM »

Out on a limb? Sure. The strongest percentage for a Democratic nominee since 1964 was Barack Obama in 2008, so a 57-43 split of the popular vote for a Democrat is uncharted territory. Huckabee has a regional strength, but huge regional weaknesses.     

Yeah... this won't happen.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2015, 12:53:57 AM »
« Edited: January 19, 2015, 10:50:15 AM by pbrower2a »

Huckabee has too many weaknesses for Republicans outside his core area of support to win the Republican nomination.

Some early polls suggest elections that will never happen -- like Obama vs. Palin in 2008.
Württemberger
Rookie
Germany
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2015, 06:26:07 AM »

LOL Huckabee being the Republican nominee would be the Democrats' wet dream.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2015, 05:04:01 PM »

It's beginning to look like a landslide folks.
pikachu
United States

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2015, 10:33:08 PM »

Huckabee has too many weaknesses for Republicans outside his core area of support to win the Republican nomination.

Some early polls suggest elections that will never happen -- like Obama vs. Palin in 2008.

I know this won't happen, but in any scenario, why would Huckabee lose Kansas, Nebraska, or the Dakotas...?
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2015, 11:52:59 PM »

It's beginning to look like a landslide folks.

Yeah, against Mike Huckabee (who won't sniff the nomination).
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2015, 11:57:09 PM »

I know this won't happen, but in any scenario, why would Huckabee lose Kansas, Nebraska, or the Dakotas...?

Yeah.  This is completely unrealistic.  If Hillary did win that big, she would do it by winning like 75% of college grad women.  The margin would come from getting 70%+ in CA and NY.  Something like this perhaps?

Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2015, 09:13:36 AM »

Huckabee isn't gonna be the nominee, but if he is, this is the main reason why he would be crushed.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2015, 01:02:58 PM »

What happened to Huckabee? I remember back in 2008 he was considered a decently strong candidate. I even remember one person who was knowledgeable about politics and a Democrat, say he was worried about the possible matchup due to Huckabee's charisma and his ability to steal economic issues away from Hillary.
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2015, 01:07:15 PM »

What happened to Huckabee? I remember back in 2008 he was considered a decently strong candidate. I even remember one person who was knowledgeable about politics and a Democrat, say he was worried about the possible matchup due to Huckabee's charisma and his ability to steal economic issues away from Hillary.
I think a lot of it has to do with the general electorate shifting away from his stances on some social issues.
Senate Minority Leader Lord Voldemort
Joshua
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: -5.91

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2015, 03:07:11 PM »

Is there any polling on how a Clinton/Huckabee race would pan out in Arkansas?
Württemberger
Rookie
Germany
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2015, 07:52:58 PM »

Is there any polling on how a Clinton/Huckabee race would pan out in Arkansas?

The last Clinton-Huckabee poll in Arkansas was done in August 2014 by PPP. Huckabee leads Clinton 55-39 in the state. Hillary won't win Arkansas.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2015, 07:28:28 AM »

He is that poor a cultural match for the Plains states other than Oklahoma and Texas.

Sometimes, early polls show the results of an election that never happens... think of how bad things looked for an Obama-Palin matchup in early 2009. I don't know if I can get to the polling patterns from then, but I noticed that she could not relate to people who are not native speakers of English. To talk to such people, even if they are highly proficient in English, one is  wise to cleave closely to the formal register as do the phrasebooks and the formal teaching of English to non-native speakers.  I learned that quickly at a highly-regarded university in California. Sarah Palin did not.

Huckabee does well to the extent that Southern Baptists are a part of the electorate.     
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2015, 07:50:11 AM »

*bump*

They've released the results on the other matchups from the poll:

Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2015, 07:54:56 AM »

Q: Jeb Bush's father and his brother both served as president. Does that make you more likely to support Jeb Bush for president, less likely, or does it make no difference?

more likely 11%
less likely 33%
no difference 55%

Q: Hillary Clinton's husband served as president. Does that make you more likely to support Hillary Clinton for president, less likely, or does it make no difference?

more likely 23%
less likely 14%
no difference 62%

Q: Hillary Clinton would be the first female president. Does that make you more likely to support Hillary Clinton for president, less likely, or does it make no difference?

more likely 24%
less likely 10%
no difference 65%

Q: Mitt Romney ran as the Republican presidential nominee in 2012. Does that make you more likely to support Mitt Romney for president, less likely, or does it make no difference?

more likely 12%
less likely 26%
no difference 61%
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2015, 08:49:30 AM »

Q: Hillary Clinton's husband served as president. Does that make you more likely to support Hillary Clinton for president, less likely, or does it make no difference?

more likely 23%

Now, that is interesting to see quantified. It will be exciting to have Bill on the campaign trail after the good service he did Barack Obama in 2012.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies