Who do you think is going to be the 2016 Republican Nominee and why?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:23:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Who do you think is going to be the 2016 Republican Nominee and why?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Who do you think is going to be the 2016 Republican Nominee (Assuming they run) and why?
Jeb Bush

Mitt Romney

Ted Cruz

Marco Rubio

Rand Paul

Bobby Jindal

Chris Christie

Ben Carson

Mike Huckabee

Rick Santorum

Scott Walker

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 72

Author Topic: Who do you think is going to be the 2016 Republican Nominee and why?  (Read 2942 times)
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 25, 2015, 12:00:16 PM »

I'm hoping for Rand Paul but expecting Jeb Bush to the be the nominee (as much as I hate to think that)
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2015, 12:06:02 PM »

I've been saying Rand for the longest time, but I think I'm going to be switching to Walker when the February poll comes out. Starting at a pretty high base and won't turn anybody off. We'll see if he's interesting enough against a ton of personalities though. That's the one negative.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2015, 12:31:32 PM »

Walker came off very well in Iowa.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2015, 12:42:01 PM »

I am hoping anbody but Jeb gets nominated. And the election would problably be a loss for the G O P. Because if anybody can compete with the hispanic vote, it is Jeb.

Make no mistake about it, it will be a hard fought campaign, and every last vote count, but that is the realization. So, I am rooting for Walker to be nominee.
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2015, 12:50:57 PM »

No Kasich??
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2015, 12:51:15 PM »

I'm still thinking that Rand Paul would have a legitimate shot.
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2015, 12:56:24 PM »

Oops. You forgot someone who is definitely running.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2015, 12:57:33 PM »

I like to think about this not in terms of who I see having the best shot at winning but who I see having the best shot at not being killed in the primary. That is, eliminating all the people with no chance like Santorum, Jindal, Carson, and Huckabee, then taking out people like Christie, Rubio, and Cruz, and then making a guess between Romney, Walker, Bush, and Paul. My guess would be Walker.
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2015, 01:50:10 PM »

Might as well guess this way again: Christie, whose "damage" over Bridgegate will largely fade, is conservative enough and will lock up the establishment money.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2015, 02:39:36 PM »

Romney or Bush, with a slight edge toward the former (although the pessimist in me says the latter). The closest any insurgent has gotten to the Republican nomination post 1964 was Reagan in 1976, and that was a unique set of circumstances. 2008 and 2012 featured a similar early revulsion to the establishment choice, only to have conservatives eventually swallow them after their opponents fizzled. Past nominees are underrated as contenders: Humphrey came close to winning the nomination in 1972, Ford would have won had Reagan not been a strong candidate, Gore could have easily gotten a rematch in 2004, and Gore and Kerry faced the same problem with Clinton as Ford did with Reagan. On the other hand, Romney seems out of vogue with the establishment at the moment, at least compared to the "fresh face" of another Bush.
AelroseB

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2015, 03:07:36 PM »

Ted Cruz's moderate populism is nothing but a catch-all message which can appeal to even the staunchest of liberals - he is, without doubt, a shoo-in.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2015, 03:10:11 PM »

Walker or Paul
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2015, 03:12:00 PM »

Romney will not run, and Jeb will thus be able to gain the lion's share of establishment support.  It comes down to a Bush/Paul race, and Bush will win an extended primary battle (similar to the Democrats' debacle in 2008). 
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2015, 03:38:20 PM »

My guess is Romney or Bush (the latter being more likely), since they'll likely have the most financial support from the Republican establishment. While Walker might be able to unify the Tea Party and the establishment, he might not be able to garner enough support from both early on to place better than third or fourth. I think Paul's chances of winning the nomination are a bit overrated, mainly because the establishment will likely see him as too far removed from the mainstream. He'd need a powerful grassroots movement to stand a chance.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2015, 03:45:03 PM »

Walker-can't see Bush being popular due to common core/immigration. Walker is tea party, union busting governor from a democrat state. He seems in an ideal position.

Would love Paul though
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2015, 05:20:14 PM »

Might as well guess this way again: Christie, whose "damage" over Bridgegate will largely fade, is conservative enough and will lock up the establishment money.

The establishment seems to want Bush and/or Romney over Christie.
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2015, 05:29:16 PM »

I remember some thread a year and a half ago asserting the nominee would almost definitely be Rubio or Christie. As of this post, 1 in 15 people think either one will win.
ShadowRocket
cb48026

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2015, 11:20:34 PM »
« Edited: January 25, 2015, 11:29:08 PM by Chris B »

I'm still going to say Christie. The reason being that I don't think Romney will run again ultimately and I think Jeb will turn out to be an underwhelming candidate once the campaign gets underway. Assuming that none of his scandals catch up with him, that leaves Christie as the remaing establishment candidate.

Barring that, either Walker is able to emerge as a compromise candidate or I'm currently underestimating Jeb Bush.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix
E: 10.00, S: -4.26

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2015, 11:27:19 PM »

But I feel like a lot of big donors are going to back Jeb and Romney.  A few months ago I came across a poll in the Wall Street Journal (though I regrettably can't find it again), something like 70+% of CEO's stated Jeb as their preferred candidate
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2015, 12:14:36 PM »

It's been a week and I think it's safe to say the consensus here is Romney will be the nominee.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2015, 02:08:27 PM »

Walker hits all the points the base is looking for, while having surprisingly few negatives. He's weathered more controversy and opposition than any of them, making him a far tougher campaigner and giving him a bigger national profile.

He'll likely face a small SoCon rebellion, but if they tolerated McCain and Romney, they'll tolerate Walker.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies