Opebo *Watch*!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 06, 2024, 11:58:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Opebo *Watch*!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8
Poll
Question: Is Opebo a real character or is he just playing?
Real

Fake

Not sure but scary either way!

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 78

Author Topic: Opebo *Watch*!  (Read 13995 times)
opebo
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: June 28, 2005, 11:13:30 PM »

Why should I redistribute anything States?  I think my income is about the same as yours - the only difference is I don't have to work to get it.
DanielX
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -4.70

« Reply #126 on: June 28, 2005, 11:15:54 PM »

Why should I redistribute anything States?  I think my income is about the same as yours - the only difference is I don't have to work to get it.

All the more reason why you should give it up...
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #127 on: June 28, 2005, 11:18:25 PM »

All the more reason why you should give it up...

No, no one should 'give it up'.  I'm happy to pay the same tax as everyone else at the median pays, and I'm happy to see those with much larger incomes pay a much higher rate.  The source of income, whether work or return on capital, is irrelevant, and besides is hard to determine.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #128 on: June 29, 2005, 09:00:25 AM »

Come now, boys, what youths have failed to think of murdering the old tyrannical parents?

Nope. My mother was never tyrannical, and the only times my father was a tyrant was when I deserved it.

Do you view everything in life as part of a class struggle? If so, your philosophy is more Marx then Freud...

Our fantasies were fueled about equally by a desire for the money and a dislike of being oppressed.

Well, for me, given that my father was/is the breadwinner and we don't have a huge amount of money (ie, i'm a 'poor' by your standards), money was never a big consideration. I must say that if i really wanted to hurt my parents (i don't), i would kill myself. Of course, your motives were more based on greed then anger.

Ah, just the pleasant fancies of youth.  In adulthood we face the fact that we must simply wait, and wait, and kiss ass all the while. Wink

You know, you could take some of your trust fund income, and instead of wasting it on whores, invest it. That way, you can have your own little income pot anyway.

No, the income is very small.  Besides, I do not consider money spent on prostitutes to be 'wasted', by any means!
Reminds me of that old line...
"I spent most of my fortune on alcohol, drugs and prostitutes, and squandered the rest."
TX_1824
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.06, S: 2.17

« Reply #129 on: June 29, 2005, 10:58:06 AM »

I still stand by my original statement that opebo might be an interesting person to share a beer with. However, the more and more I read of his post, the more I begin to believe that his views are formed for the sole purpose of a hostile response. I think the "forum" opebo is a perversion of the real opebo.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #130 on: June 29, 2005, 11:26:47 AM »

opebo can i get your opinion on the following people...freedom fighters or not:

4. the guy they just caught with notebook entries describing his many sexual encounters with young boys  - yes.  By the way, how can writings be illegal?

Notebooks and diaries cannot be accpeted as evidence, IIRC.
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #131 on: June 29, 2005, 12:41:15 PM »

4. the guy they just caught with notebook entries describing his many sexual encounters with young boys  - yes.  By the way, how can writings be illegal?

Yes they can, when the object of inquiry is a Republican, q.v. Sen Bob Packwood
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #132 on: June 29, 2005, 02:34:46 PM »

Yes they can, when the object of inquiry is a Republican, q.v. Sen Bob Packwood

bob packwood, there is a blast from the past.

i dont condone his behavior, but they (the democrats) made it out like he committed the crime of the century.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #133 on: June 29, 2005, 02:42:55 PM »

Good lord, man, we meddled in the middle east, and were rightly resented for it, and then some of the most extreme resenters knocked down a couple of buildings. 
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #134 on: June 30, 2005, 06:41:25 AM »

I have a question for Opebo.  Why do you often use adjectives as nouns?  It's incredibly annoying.  'Intolerant', 'poor', 'religious', and 'dumb' ARE NOT NOUNS.  Angry
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #135 on: June 30, 2005, 08:19:00 AM »

Ahh, the old Opebo

Because he is a Chinese ultra-nationalist who views democracy and human rights with utter contempt.

You've just described the vast majority of the population of China.

John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #136 on: June 30, 2005, 08:24:02 AM »

I have a question for Opebo.  Why do you often use adjectives as nouns?  It's incredibly annoying.  'Intolerant', 'poor', 'religious', and 'dumb' ARE NOT NOUNS.  Angry

It's because he's an ignorant. Wink
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #137 on: June 30, 2005, 10:08:48 AM »

i suspect he does it just to get under people's skins (ie get attention)  it is all part of the opebo character.

i was around for the old opebo and i dont recall him using adjectives as nouns back then.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #138 on: June 30, 2005, 11:17:42 AM »

Sure its a wind up. StatesRights does the same thing- but im pretty sure he exists! Smiley
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #139 on: June 30, 2005, 11:44:12 AM »

You are an intolerant.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #140 on: June 30, 2005, 12:36:13 PM »
« Edited: June 30, 2005, 12:41:59 PM by angus »

i suspect he does it just to get under people's skins (ie get attention)  it is all part of the opebo character.

i was around for the old opebo and i dont recall him using adjectives as nouns back then.

nah, it's all the rage now among the hipsters.  when did "dumb" become a verb?!  Yet, we're always hearing about "dumbing it down" when it comes to public schools.  Not in respectable outlets like NYT and WaPo, mind you, but in the free alt weeklies they're constantly doing this sort of thing.  Hell, right here on this forum "conservative" and "liberal" are used as nouns more often than they are used as adjectives.  Ah, such is the evolution of language.  And it's just going to get worse, now that the softwarevolution has made everyone a publisher.  Or made him think he is.

as an aside, I do think "the religious" is a term that's been around a long time, in order to distinguish the religious (i.e., nuns and monks) from the clergy (priests) and the lay (people who attend church.)  Not that this is the way Opebo's using the term.  But what he's doing, at least in principle, is no less offensive to the linguist than when people talking about someong being "a liberal" or "a conservative"  In fact, it's exactly the same sort of usage.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #141 on: June 30, 2005, 12:41:41 PM »

I believe the correct term for opebo would be 'a psychotic' *nods*
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #142 on: June 30, 2005, 01:47:07 PM »

Well then he's succeeded on that front as far as I'm concerned.  Wink
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #143 on: June 30, 2005, 04:36:26 PM »

as an aside, I do think "the religious" is a term that's been around a long time, in order to distinguish the religious (i.e., nuns and monks) from the clergy (priests) and the lay (people who attend church.)  Not that this is the way Opebo's using the term.

Using adjectives as plural nouns is generally quite standard (just look at the title of one of the most popular musicals ever: Les Misérables).  Using them as singular nouns, however, sounds very awkward.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #144 on: June 30, 2005, 10:46:57 PM »

Sociopath, not psychotic.
DanielX
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -4.70

« Reply #145 on: July 01, 2005, 09:27:13 AM »

Sociopath, not psychotic.

Ah, my mother has a sociopathic boss.
Huckleberry Finn
Finn

« Reply #146 on: July 01, 2005, 02:35:54 PM »

I don't know about Opebo. Sometimes he sounds like a fake person. And he does it very much same way like Migrendel does. Both are irritating elitist and say things which are absolutely out of mainstream. Sometimes I like to believe that they are same person.

But if you read Opebos early posts you can see a HUGE difference compare to new ones not only his political views but the style. His early posts were all very serious and without any humour.  By degrees his posts have become more and more unserious and yes... funny. (most of times)

Also his lifestyle in Thailand existed those old posts too. For example he told me once that there is nothing bad about libertine orgies. And this time he was defending Arnold Schwarzenegger.

So I think he's real but his views are always not. He  definitely try to provoke people. In his early posts he did it by fascist foreign politics views now by sexual perversions.
Huckleberry Finn
Finn

« Reply #147 on: July 01, 2005, 02:50:06 PM »

Oh I just remembered one major difference between Migrendel and Opebo. Migrendel has always participated Fantasy Elections but Opebo hasn't. So probably not same person or....
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #148 on: July 01, 2005, 05:45:51 PM »

Just putting things in perspective.

Thousands of people DIED in a pretty horrible way

No doubt, but the only reason we hear so much about it is they were americans.  Thousands of foreigners die in horrible ways all the time, sometimes at american hands, and of course we hear nothing about it.

In any event, the point is the way to prevent the death of any more 'little Eichmans' is to stop meddling, not to go kill a bunch of foreigners.

And we banned NixonNow? lol  Roll Eyes
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #149 on: July 01, 2005, 05:50:50 PM »

Oh I just remembered one major difference between Migrendel and Opebo. Migrendel has always participated Fantasy Elections but Opebo hasn't. So probably not same person or....
Opebo has begun participating in Fantasy Politics actually.  He ran for Mideast Governor.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies