Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 23, 2017, 02:29:13 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Be sure to enable your "Ultimate Profile" for even more goodies on your profile page!

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  General Politics
| |-+  Political Debate (Moderators: Beet, Apocrypha)
| | |-+  $15 minimum wage
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Poll
Question: Is a federal $15 minimum wage a good idea?
Yes   -5 (17.2%)
No   -24 (82.8%)
Show Pie Chart
Total Voters: 29

Author Topic: $15 minimum wage  (Read 4026 times)
John Dibble
YaBB God
Japan

View Profile
« on: April 22, 2005, 05:16:21 pm »
Ignore

Simple question - is a $15 federaly enforced minimum wage a good idea?

Having a decent understanding of economics, I must say NO.

Sam Spade
SamSpade
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2005, 05:20:24 pm »
Ignore

Anyone with a decent understanding of economics would clearly say no.

Obviously then, I agree.
Emsworth
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2005, 05:32:39 pm »
Ignore

Decidedly not. The federal government's intrusion into the economy is already too much as it is.
opebo
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2005, 05:36:32 pm »
Ignore

Why not make it $25/hour coupled with a 35 hour work week to not only eliminate poverty BUT increase leisure time as well?

I think $15 is a reasonable minimum, not $25.  However $25-35 per hour is the level one would have to recieve to be a 'breadwinner' - in other words support a family of four or so. 

I'm all for a 32 hour work week - four eight hour days.  Or possibly as  an interim move a 36 hour work week - four nine hour days.  I don't see the point of a 35 hour work week - what are you going to do, work a half day?  I isn't worth it to go in.

The essence of democracy at its purest is a lynch mob

WalterMitty
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2005, 05:39:01 pm »
Ignore

Why not make it $25/hour coupled with a 35 hour work week to not only eliminate poverty BUT increase leisure time as well?

I think $15 is a reasonable minimum, not $25.  However $25-35 per hour is the level one would have to recieve to be a 'breadwinner' - in other words support a family of four or so. 

I'm all for a 32 hour work week - four eight hour days.  Or possibly as  an interim move a 36 hour work week - four nine hour days.  I don't see the point of a 35 hour work week - what are you going to do, work a half day?  I isn't worth it to go in.

opebo you really dont have a clue.

tell us how your $15 minimum wage wouldnt cause massive inflation and unemployment.

Rob
Bob
YaBB God
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2005, 05:54:44 pm »
Ignore

Um, no.

Here’s what Sarah Palin represents: being a fat fucking pig who pins “Country First” buttons on his man titties and chants “U-S-A! U-S-A!” at the top of his lungs while his kids live off credit cards and Saudis buy up all the mortgages in Kansas.
DanielX
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -4.70

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2005, 06:23:26 pm »
Ignore

If $15 were the minimum wage, prices would almost triple, canceling out the effect.

Yankee Capitalist Scum!
opebo
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2005, 06:24:34 pm »
Ignore

opebo you really dont have a clue.

tell us how your $15 minimum wage wouldnt cause massive inflation and unemployment.

Well, the sweat shop owners would be forced to increase productivity. 

Also even if it did cause some inflation and unemployment it is preferable than labouring for the current miserable wages.   Certainly the unemployment could be easily dealt with by providing a generous, comfortable Welfare State for the unemployed to relax in.

opebo
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2005, 06:26:05 pm »
Ignore

If $15 were the minimum wage, prices would almost triple, canceling out the effect.

No, prices would only go up by a very small amount.  Aren't you right-wingers always arguing that not that many people live on the minimum wage anyway? 

Besides, whatever increase in prices did occur it would effect not only the working class but also the rich, therefore the net result would be redistribution - excellent!

A18
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2005, 06:27:40 pm »
Ignore

Um, no. There would be some 'inflation,' but nothing like that, and since one party reaps the benefits of the increase while the prices are spread out amongst everyone, it would help people earning minimum wage.

However, it's an idiotic idea and would increase unemployment while screwing over the 97% of the population that is somewhat productive.
DanielX
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -4.70

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2005, 06:44:48 pm »
Ignore

No, prices would only go up by a very small amount.  Aren't you right-wingers always arguing that not that many people live on the minimum wage anyway? 

Besides, whatever increase in prices did occur it would effect not only the working class but also the rich, therefore the net result would be redistribution - excellent!

Strongly disagree.

Maybe I overestimated. But, I might add, that your theory sounds absurd. If $15 were the minimum, a great many jobs would be automated or exported out of the country, and many businesses would understaff in an attempt to keep prices down.

Plus, I don't think redistribution is a desirable effect.

Yankee Capitalist Scum!
Gabu
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2005, 06:49:31 pm »
Ignore

A simple "no" does not do it justice, so I'm forced to bring out the big guns:

"To me, 'underground' sounds like subway trains.  That's the only sound I associate with 'underground'." - Everett
Lunar
YaBB God
Ireland, Republic of
View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2005, 07:20:14 pm »
Ignore

Most of Opebo's opinions aren't worth putting to the poll.

this is real
David S
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2005, 08:14:15 pm »
Ignore

Plus throw in free government funded bimbos to fill the leisure time. Heck Opebo might even get a job if that was the case.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2005, 02:26:25 am »
Ignore

Not at the current rate of inflation

opebo
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2005, 06:13:08 am »
Ignore

Maybe I overestimated. But, I might add, that your theory sounds absurd. If $15 were the minimum, a great many jobs would be automated or exported out of the country, and many businesses would understaff in an attempt to keep prices down.

Jobs being automated is also known as increasing productivity.  The remaining jobs are better paid and any unemployment can be taken care of by a generous welfare state.

Plus, I don't think redistribution is a desirable effect.

Well of course you wouldn't.

MasterJedi
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2005, 11:06:46 am »
Ignore

Definitly not!

Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2005, 11:26:12 am »
Ignore

Well, it should (eventually) be closer to $15 than it is to $5, but $15/hour is a bit too high....the national median wage is only $17/hour, so this would really have seismic effects on the economy.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2005, 12:18:40 pm »
Ignore

The federal minimum wage should be somewhere between $7.50-$9.00 an hour. $15 is too high.

E: -3.25
S: -2.72

On the GOP side, for 2016, look out for Gov. Phill Kline (KS), Gov. Ralph Reed (GA), Gov. JD Hayworth (AZ), Sen. David Vitter (LA), among others.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout