$15 minimum wage
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:40:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  $15 minimum wage
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Is a federal $15 minimum wage a good idea?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 31

Author Topic: $15 minimum wage  (Read 4595 times)
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 22, 2005, 05:16:21 PM »

Simple question - is a $15 federaly enforced minimum wage a good idea?

Having a decent understanding of economics, I must say NO.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2005, 05:20:24 PM »

Anyone with a decent understanding of economics would clearly say no.

Obviously then, I agree.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2005, 05:32:39 PM »

Decidedly not. The federal government's intrusion into the economy is already too much as it is.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2005, 05:36:32 PM »

Why not make it $25/hour coupled with a 35 hour work week to not only eliminate poverty BUT increase leisure time as well?

I think $15 is a reasonable minimum, not $25.  However $25-35 per hour is the level one would have to recieve to be a 'breadwinner' - in other words support a family of four or so. 

I'm all for a 32 hour work week - four eight hour days.  Or possibly as  an interim move a 36 hour work week - four nine hour days.  I don't see the point of a 35 hour work week - what are you going to do, work a half day?  I isn't worth it to go in.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2005, 05:39:01 PM »

Why not make it $25/hour coupled with a 35 hour work week to not only eliminate poverty BUT increase leisure time as well?

I think $15 is a reasonable minimum, not $25.  However $25-35 per hour is the level one would have to recieve to be a 'breadwinner' - in other words support a family of four or so. 

I'm all for a 32 hour work week - four eight hour days.  Or possibly as  an interim move a 36 hour work week - four nine hour days.  I don't see the point of a 35 hour work week - what are you going to do, work a half day?  I isn't worth it to go in.

opebo you really dont have a clue.

tell us how your $15 minimum wage wouldnt cause massive inflation and unemployment.
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2005, 05:54:44 PM »

Um, no.
DanielX
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -4.70

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2005, 06:23:26 PM »

If $15 were the minimum wage, prices would almost triple, canceling out the effect.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2005, 06:24:34 PM »

opebo you really dont have a clue.

tell us how your $15 minimum wage wouldnt cause massive inflation and unemployment.

Well, the sweat shop owners would be forced to increase productivity. 

Also even if it did cause some inflation and unemployment it is preferable than labouring for the current miserable wages.   Certainly the unemployment could be easily dealt with by providing a generous, comfortable Welfare State for the unemployed to relax in.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2005, 06:26:05 PM »

If $15 were the minimum wage, prices would almost triple, canceling out the effect.

No, prices would only go up by a very small amount.  Aren't you right-wingers always arguing that not that many people live on the minimum wage anyway? 

Besides, whatever increase in prices did occur it would effect not only the working class but also the rich, therefore the net result would be redistribution - excellent!
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2005, 06:27:40 PM »

Um, no. There would be some 'inflation,' but nothing like that, and since one party reaps the benefits of the increase while the prices are spread out amongst everyone, it would help people earning minimum wage.

However, it's an idiotic idea and would increase unemployment while screwing over the 97% of the population that is somewhat productive.
DanielX
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -4.70

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2005, 06:44:48 PM »

No, prices would only go up by a very small amount.  Aren't you right-wingers always arguing that not that many people live on the minimum wage anyway? 

Besides, whatever increase in prices did occur it would effect not only the working class but also the rich, therefore the net result would be redistribution - excellent!

Strongly disagree.

Maybe I overestimated. But, I might add, that your theory sounds absurd. If $15 were the minimum, a great many jobs would be automated or exported out of the country, and many businesses would understaff in an attempt to keep prices down.

Plus, I don't think redistribution is a desirable effect.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2005, 06:49:31 PM »

A simple "no" does not do it justice, so I'm forced to bring out the big guns:

Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2005, 07:20:14 PM »

Most of Opebo's opinions aren't worth putting to the poll.
David S
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2005, 08:14:15 PM »

Plus throw in free government funded bimbos to fill the leisure time. Heck Opebo might even get a job if that was the case.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2005, 02:26:25 AM »

Not at the current rate of inflation
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2005, 06:13:08 AM »

Maybe I overestimated. But, I might add, that your theory sounds absurd. If $15 were the minimum, a great many jobs would be automated or exported out of the country, and many businesses would understaff in an attempt to keep prices down.

Jobs being automated is also known as increasing productivity.  The remaining jobs are better paid and any unemployment can be taken care of by a generous welfare state.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Well of course you wouldn't.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2005, 11:06:46 AM »

Definitly not!
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2005, 11:26:12 AM »

Well, it should (eventually) be closer to $15 than it is to $5, but $15/hour is a bit too high....the national median wage is only $17/hour, so this would really have seismic effects on the economy.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2005, 12:18:40 PM »

The federal minimum wage should be somewhere between $7.50-$9.00 an hour. $15 is too high.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies