$15 minimum wage (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:46:18 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  $15 minimum wage (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Is a federal $15 minimum wage a good idea?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 31

Author Topic: $15 minimum wage  (Read 4631 times)
opebo
Atlas Legend

« on: April 22, 2005, 05:36:32 PM »

Why not make it $25/hour coupled with a 35 hour work week to not only eliminate poverty BUT increase leisure time as well?

I think $15 is a reasonable minimum, not $25.  However $25-35 per hour is the level one would have to recieve to be a 'breadwinner' - in other words support a family of four or so. 

I'm all for a 32 hour work week - four eight hour days.  Or possibly as  an interim move a 36 hour work week - four nine hour days.  I don't see the point of a 35 hour work week - what are you going to do, work a half day?  I isn't worth it to go in.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2005, 06:24:34 PM »

Why not make it $25/hour coupled with a 35 hour work week to not only eliminate poverty BUT increase leisure time as well?

I think $15 is a reasonable minimum, not $25.  However $25-35 per hour is the level one would have to recieve to be a 'breadwinner' - in other words support a family of four or so. 

I'm all for a 32 hour work week - four eight hour days.  Or possibly as  an interim move a 36 hour work week - four nine hour days.  I don't see the point of a 35 hour work week - what are you going to do, work a half day?  I isn't worth it to go in.

opebo you really dont have a clue.

tell us how your $15 minimum wage wouldnt cause massive inflation and unemployment.

Well, the sweat shop owners would be forced to increase productivity. 

Also even if it did cause some inflation and unemployment it is preferable than labouring for the current miserable wages.   Certainly the unemployment could be easily dealt with by providing a generous, comfortable Welfare State for the unemployed to relax in.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2005, 06:26:05 PM »

If $15 were the minimum wage, prices would almost triple, canceling out the effect.

No, prices would only go up by a very small amount.  Aren't you right-wingers always arguing that not that many people live on the minimum wage anyway? 

Besides, whatever increase in prices did occur it would effect not only the working class but also the rich, therefore the net result would be redistribution - excellent!
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2005, 06:13:08 AM »

If $15 were the minimum wage, prices would almost triple, canceling out the effect.

No, prices would only go up by a very small amount.  Aren't you right-wingers always arguing that not that many people live on the minimum wage anyway? 

Besides, whatever increase in prices did occur it would effect not only the working class but also the rich, therefore the net result would be redistribution - excellent!

Maybe I overestimated. But, I might add, that your theory sounds absurd. If $15 were the minimum, a great many jobs would be automated or exported out of the country, and many businesses would understaff in an attempt to keep prices down.

Jobs being automated is also known as increasing productivity.  The remaining jobs are better paid and any unemployment can be taken care of by a generous welfare state.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Well of course you wouldn't.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies