Federal Employees Labor Relations Act of 2014 (Vetoed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 04:41:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Federal Employees Labor Relations Act of 2014 (Vetoed)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Federal Employees Labor Relations Act of 2014 (Vetoed)  (Read 2985 times)
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: February 17, 2015, 11:23:19 AM »

Does the 72-hour period apply here as well?

If not, well, AYE

Hate me for it, but I oppose the process of vetoing bills in principle. Probably that's just as I come from a parliamentary democracy, a country where that single figure outside the legislative that we call President has just no power whatsoever (understandable when you know our history), where all legislative decisions are completely left to the Legislative. Well, yeah.

The Pinko European strikes again, I guess.

It's funny, because in part the history of my country plays a large role in my belief in a strong executive (given that Chile has been presidentialist during most of its time, and I happen to admire the politician who consolidated that system in the consitution). Presidents can make awful mistakes here, but every time the Legislative power gains the upper hand things really go downhill, xD

Well, it was just the other way round in Austria Tongue The beginning of Austrofascism happened just when the Parliament was "deactivated" by Dollfuß, and how the system that followed afterwards came into place is I believe well known...

Which politician was this you admire for consolidating the presidential system?
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #51 on: February 17, 2015, 12:53:49 PM »

Does the 72-hour period apply here as well?

If not, well, AYE

Hate me for it, but I oppose the process of vetoing bills in principle. Probably that's just as I come from a parliamentary democracy, a country where that single figure outside the legislative that we call President has just no power whatsoever (understandable when you know our history), where all legislative decisions are completely left to the Legislative. Well, yeah.

The Pinko European strikes again, I guess.

It's funny, because in part the history of my country plays a large role in my belief in a strong executive (given that Chile has been presidentialist during most of its time, and I happen to admire the politician who consolidated that system in the consitution). Presidents can make awful mistakes here, but every time the Legislative power gains the upper hand things really go downhill, xD

Well, it was just the other way round in Austria Tongue The beginning of Austrofascism happened just when the Parliament was "deactivated" by Dollfuß, and how the system that followed afterwards came into place is I believe well known...

Which politician was this you admire for consolidating the presidential system?

That would be Diego Portales, a conservative politician that ended a decade of civil unrest and coups and, in my opinion brought real stability to Chile, all of that as a minister (never holding the Presidency until he was assassinated). The man was very flawed and quite authoritarian, but he is partly why Chile was comparatively more stable than our neighbors through most of the 20th Century. And indeed, he believed that a presidential system was exactly what the country needed.

If one makes a comparison with later times we did try to have something loosely resembling a parliamentary government from 1891 to 1925, with a very weakened President and a cabinet that could easily be brought down by Congress, called the Parliamentary Republic. The result was that most of the cabinets lasted three to four months only to be brought down again and again, causing major gridlock for years.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #52 on: February 18, 2015, 11:23:37 AM »

Okay, thank you for your answer. I have to admit, I know nothing about Chile pre-Allende/Pinochet, and even after that, my knowledge is extremely limited. It is always interesting though to learn new things about countries, even though they might be far away from home, they still have a story to tell, if you want so.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies