Describe a Santorum 06/Obama 08 voter
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:23:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Describe a Santorum 06/Obama 08 voter
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Describe a Santorum 06/Obama 08 voter  (Read 3806 times)
Thunderbird is the word
Zen Lunatic

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 03, 2015, 11:22:41 PM »

I feel gross just writing Santoum.
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2015, 11:27:08 PM »

Um...knowing how this person voted in every other election in their life might help.

I guess black Republican.
Illuminati Blood Drinker
phwezer
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.42, S: -7.30

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2015, 12:37:21 AM »

Blue-collar voter pissed at the GOP over the economic collapse.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2015, 01:34:34 AM »

A few black republicans. But this would be a very small number of voters.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2015, 02:15:36 AM »

I don't know, but my grandmother is a Santorum 06/Wolf 14 voter.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2015, 10:31:35 AM »
« Edited: April 04, 2015, 10:37:52 AM by Stone Cold Conservative »

I am thinking probably a socially conservative voter (based on the optics I am guessing probably either a middle class white Catholic or a black Republican (I hesitate to say "blue collar" given Casey's pro-labor chops)) who puts the sanctity of marriage in their top five issues.  Rick Santorum made his name by being a strong defender of "traditional marriage" and Obama in 2008 took the PC position of the time that marriage was between a man and a woman but that he was in favor of civil unions.  Fair enough, this was probably Casey Jr.'s position as well, but more often than not among swing voters perception is king.  And I imagine quotes like this one made in October 2005 didn't help him among some of these types:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Which to a staunch anti-gay marriage advocate sounds more like "I am pro-gay equality, but I am too spineless to say I oppose it because I need religious voters!"

I mean it has to be that, because Santorum was likely on the right of every economic position Casey Jr. had and Casey Jr. was pro-gun enough to cancel out the "Muh NRA" voters.

Another possibility are socially liberal Republican types who might view Casey as too pro-labor and too socially conservative to replace Santorum.  Particularly on abortion they might see this as a net sum loss and that Santorum would at least be more "pro-growth" or "pro-business".  Meanwhile in 2008 Obama was definitely seen as way more socially liberal but not liberal enough on economics to cause real damage.  As well, McCain was widely seen as Bush's third term, which might turn off these voters.

Of course, not that many people voted on the gay issue alone, which probably explains Santorum's borderline landslide loss.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2015, 03:08:43 PM »

Santorum actually is not a right-wing hardliner on economic issues.

But he's certainly to the right of Bob Casey Jr.  That's my point.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2015, 03:20:20 PM »

Another possibility are socially liberal Republican types who might view Casey as too pro-labor and too socially conservative to replace Santorum.  Particularly on abortion they might see this as a net sum loss and that Santorum would at least be more "pro-growth" or "pro-business".  Meanwhile in 2008 Obama was definitely seen as way more socially liberal but not liberal enough on economics to cause real damage.  As well, McCain was widely seen as Bush's third term, which might turn off these voters.

This is actually how Santorum was re-elected in 2000. Dems nominated the SoCon Ron Klink, which sent the socially liberal suburban swing voters right into Santorum's arms. History will repeat itself if Dems nominate a joke like Chris Carney (luckily that's extremely unlikely.)
Thunderbird is the word
Zen Lunatic

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2015, 03:35:27 PM »

This is actually how Santorum was re-elected in 2000. Dems nominated the SoCon Ron Klink, which sent the socially liberal suburban swing voters right into Santorum's arms. History will repeat itself if Dems nominate a joke like Chris Carney (luckily that's extremely unlikely.)

I think that because Democrats have become more uniformly socially liberal even a Bob Casey type now would have trouble getting the nod if he wasn't already a sitting senator.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2015, 03:55:33 PM »

Another possibility are socially liberal Republican types who might view Casey as too pro-labor and too socially conservative to replace Santorum.  Particularly on abortion they might see this as a net sum loss and that Santorum would at least be more "pro-growth" or "pro-business".  Meanwhile in 2008 Obama was definitely seen as way more socially liberal but not liberal enough on economics to cause real damage.  As well, McCain was widely seen as Bush's third term, which might turn off these voters.

I think that because Democrats have become more uniformly socially liberal even a Bob Casey type now would have trouble getting the nod if he wasn't already a sitting senator.

Yeah and even in the case of Casey he largely got away with it due to a combo of Legacy politics and heavy union support.  As well, unlike his dad he didn't make abortion the center of his political career.  In fact he regularly got accused by Santorum and crew because it was perceived that he was positioning himself as a Pro-Life Democrat to get votes and didn't really seem to have any dog in the actual debate.
bobloblaw
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2015, 04:39:20 PM »

How about a Santorum 2000 and Obama 2008 voter?
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2015, 05:22:38 PM »

Generic Republican with a connection to Penn State. Some things transcend all aspects of ideology.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2015, 07:18:54 PM »

How about a Santorum 2000 and Obama 2008 voter?

That seems like something more likely to happen. In 2000, Santorum hadn't revealed himself as a lunatic yet. Pennsylvania likes moderate personalities. Santorum didn't seem like a crazy right winger yet.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2015, 02:00:44 AM »
« Edited: April 07, 2015, 02:05:17 AM by maxwell »

Republican Party loyalist who viewed McCain as something of a maverick for vain reasons (to purposefully distance himself from the party) and, maybe naively, admired Obama's allusions to the skills of Reagan and Eisenhower.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2015, 11:49:29 AM »

My guess on the Santorum part would be one of those people that just vote for the incumbent who they don't know much about just because they're the incumbent.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies