What is the farthest place you have visited and your opinion of it?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 10:03:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  What is the farthest place you have visited and your opinion of it?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: What is the farthest place you have visited and your opinion of it?  (Read 3246 times)
retromike22
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 03, 2015, 02:56:12 PM »

Don't post something like:

D.C., I liked it.

Here's my example:

Washington D.C.

I really liked it, the farthest east I had visited before was Kansas City, MO so this was my first visit to the east coast. The very first thing I noticed was their lovely subway system, which was very useful and even fun to use. The second thing I noticed, once I exited the subway... the humidity. It's a foreign climate to us L.A. folks but it was nowhere near as bad as Kansas humidity so it wasn't really that bad. It was strange to see so many older buildings, especially ones made of brick. Again, due to being on the west coast I don't really see buildings that are that old. At certain moments, especially when I visited Mount Vernon, it felt like I was a time traveler.

The monuments were impressive and amazing to see, but the White House was smaller than I expected, probably because so much is hidden by trees. But the Capitol... wow that was like a palace! I visited the office of my local Rep. and they got a friend and I some House visitor passes. I got to see a few min of House proceedings, which unfortunately was mostly Rep. Virginia Foxx Sad Sometimes when walking about all the department buildings, and seeing the international restaurants, D.C. would remind me of London or some European city. Another odd thing that D.C. reminded me of... was Disneyland. There are different lands (Monument land, museum land, Capitol land, etc) and a efficient train system takes you where you need to go.

Another odd thing... D.C. was really, really clean. No grafitti and I only saw one homeless person. But that also might be due to the areas I had visited.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2015, 03:00:38 PM »

San Francisco. Everybody knows my opinion of it.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2015, 03:21:34 PM »

Paris, France.

A city with a lot of cool stuff to see, but ridiculously expensive, more so than the United Kingdom.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2015, 03:40:49 PM »

Zutphen, the Netherlands.

Nice country. Not much to see in that particular town though (except family).
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2015, 03:45:38 PM »

I just visited 24,901 miles to the east of me by taking a shortcut one foot walk to the west. It's about the same as it is back home. I like it.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2015, 04:23:19 PM »

Montreal is amazing!
Kushahontas
floating_to_sea
Kenya

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2015, 04:30:19 PM »

Rome, Italy.

It was great. Unlike ODF, I was able to truly appreciate and bask in densely-developed major metropolitan areas full of culture, diversity, and walkability. It was a fitting end to an 11 day trek that had seen me traverse Spain, visually (and gastronomically) appealing southern France and finally, the boot.

I took in the sights, visited/toured all the big names, enjoyed my time, tried not to burn to death in the early July sun, took full of advantage of the city's free fountains, and stayed in a four star hotel in the hills south of the city. On my final night, I got lost in a red-light district and thought I was a goner. Fun!
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2015, 04:33:38 PM »

Rome, Italy.

It was great. Unlike ODF, I was able to truly appreciate and bask in densely-developed major metropolitan areas full of culture, diversity, and walkability. It was a fitting end to an 11 day trek that had seen me traverse Spain, visually (and gastronomically) appealing southern France and finally, the boot.

I took in the sights, visited/toured all the big names, enjoyed my time, tried not to burn to death in the early July sun, took full of advantage of the city's free fountains, and stayed in a four star hotel in the hills south of the city. On my final night, I got lost in a red-light district and thought I was a goner. Fun!

Italian cities are wonderful. I'm really glad I've gotten to know many of them over the last couple years. I spent entire days walking in Rome and Florence to see just a little bit of what there is to see.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2015, 04:56:31 PM »

Berlin, Germany. It had an endearing, hippie/club kid feel to it. Much less hectic than New York or London. Berlin is not the most classically beautiful city in Europe, because it was almost completely destroyed during WWII, but still a good visit. The Cathedral, of course, was very pretty. I stayed at a hostel in a Turkish neighborhood, so it was interesting to see a less stereotypically German side also. I was surprised to see that the subway worked on the honor method. Germans are clearly much more reliable than Americans.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2015, 06:11:13 PM »

I just visited 24,901 miles to the east of me by taking a shortcut one foot walk to the west.

You live on the Equator?
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2015, 06:21:47 PM »

I don't know how to answer this question, because I was born in Milwaukee, but currently live in Perth, which is as far away from Milwaukee as I've ever been.  So is this "the farthest place I've visited"?  Or should I count the farthest place from Perth?  If so, then I guess that would be somewhere in the northeastern US.  Nantucket maybe?  I guess that's slightly farther away than NYC is.

Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2015, 06:24:58 PM »

I guess it would be Ephesus, Turkey. I really enjoyed it even though it was something like 107 degrees Farenheit.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2015, 06:26:21 PM »

Lisbon, Portugal

This trip was the only time I've ever been to Europe, and it was probably the best thing I ever did. There's so much history, and it's such an accessible city without a car; in fact, we were mostly on foot. The winding, narrow streets were gorgeous, the churches were some of the most ornate things I've ever seen, and the museums were world class.

I think what I most loved, though, were the views. Lisbon is built on seven hills, so almost everywhere you go, there's a great view of the Lisbon skyline with its orange terracotta roofs. Sitting at restaurant patios and looking out over the city make up, without question, my best memories of the trip. And the food! I don't think there's better seafood anywhere else. So fresh.

Anyway, yeah. Now I want to go back. Damn. Tongue
moderatevoter
ModerateVAVoter

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2015, 06:34:36 PM »

South Asia. Love it.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2015, 06:45:03 PM »

Florianopolis, Brazil. It's in the southern part of Brazil on the coast, it's south of Paraguay. I took a day trip there from Rio to see a total eclipse of the sun in 1994. The city was the most European I saw on my visit to Brazil, and the second language there was German, but I heard some Italian, too. The city sits on Santa Catarina island at the the point where a bridge connects to the mainland. Outside of the city on the island were perhaps the most stunning beaches I have seen, and they were uncrowded in late Oct 1994! FC.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2015, 06:54:52 PM »
« Edited: February 05, 2015, 04:23:54 PM by L.D. Smith, Knight of Appalachia »

Prague, Czech Republic.

Farthest from both Berkeley and the little town lost in the Blue Ridge Mountains where I reside currently

I can't say too much, since it was for only 3 days, a decade ago when I was there and I was taking in Salzburg, Rome, Venice, Assisi, and Siena during that point. The architecture was pretty gorgeous if I remember correctly, and it was easy to get around on foot. So much history

However, the Astronomical Clock is what stands out the most. Easily the coolest bell tower I ever have seen, with the skeletons coming out every hour....if that's not entirely accurate...it has been ten years, and I was 12 at best.

@Antonio: Where do Siena, Pisa, and Assisi fall into things?  Because for myself...I much prefer them to the big big cities of Italy.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2015, 06:57:03 PM »

Thailand. Loved it.  The folks were just so ... friendly.  Smiley
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2015, 07:56:29 PM »

RIP Torie
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2015, 07:58:48 PM »

RIP Torie

I suspect I will be around to haunt you for decades to come Memphis. I'm too mean and tough to die easily. Tongue
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2015, 07:59:53 PM »

Somewhere in Greece. I was a baby. I don't remember it at all.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2015, 08:08:10 PM »

RIP Torie

I suspect I will be around to haunt you for decades to come Memphis. I'm too mean and tough to die easily. Tongue
Yes, I know the rules don't apply to the mods. I was being a bit cheeky, but failed to use an emoticon, which isn't really good form.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2015, 09:56:11 PM »

Kyoto. It's a great city, and would be even greater if going there in July didn't feel like standing on the sun. Specifically, the furthest west I got in the city and thus the furthest from Massachusetts was Arashiyama, the place where they filmed that one part of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. It's even cooler in person.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2015, 09:59:22 PM »

Orlando. It's in Florida so guess.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2015, 10:02:03 PM »

Belfast, Northern Ireland. Really cool city. A lot of history.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2015, 10:09:14 PM »

Chestertown, NY.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies