Women in Parliament
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 07:36:18 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Women in Parliament
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Women in Parliament  (Read 3417 times)
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 23, 2005, 02:15:39 PM »

Biggest surprises: Pakistan and Rwanda
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2005, 02:29:17 PM »

They're listing China? Er...not really comparable is it?
In India, the figure of female parliamentarians has actually been slowly falling since the 1950's, with minor ups and downs.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2005, 02:33:25 PM »

Doesn't Iraq have a 33% female requirement for their lists?
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2005, 02:33:33 PM »

They're listing China? Er...not really comparable is it?
In India, the figure of female parliamentarians has actually been slowly falling since the 1950's, with minor ups and downs.
Since 1996, there has been talk of setting a 33% quota for women in Parliament, but nothing seems to have actually been done.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2005, 07:09:29 PM »

Rwanda is not a surprise, because I already knew they were #1. (I analayzed this for a Women's studies essay)
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2005, 11:42:19 PM »

What's the point of this thread?
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2005, 11:43:07 PM »

To point out how backward the US is compared to great world powers like Rwanda, Cuba, and Sweden.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2005, 11:45:40 PM »

To point out how backward the US is compared to great world powers like Rwanda, Cuba, and Sweden.

I was asking the poll giver, but it was a rhetorical question anyways. So we don't have as many women in our Congress(we don't have a parliament, damnit!) - it's not like they can't run.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2005, 11:48:52 PM »

well you got to take into account what type of electoral systems are used in those countries. Lists and proportional representation are naturally going to end up with much more women. Including non-democratic countries is kind of pointless since all parlimentarians there are basically appointed and thus one can easily make almost half women to appear as egalitarian as possible. That's the reason for Rwanda by the way, after Tutsi rebel groups ended the genocide they set up their own government and while it's fairly autocratic and non-democratic it's a hell of a lot better than what the country had before, not that nothing would be.

Anyone seen Hotel Rwanda btw? I just did some rentals and almost got it. How good is it?
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2005, 11:00:35 AM »

The US doesnt have a "parliament".
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2005, 11:04:36 AM »

Of course they do. Its name is "Congress". The Lower House of Parliament is called "House of Representatives" and the Upper House is called "Senate".

Next thing you'll be claiming the US doesn't have a Head of State, they only have a President...

Grin
Blue Rectangle

Political Matrix
E: 8.50, S: -0.62

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2005, 11:09:05 AM »

Of course they do. Its name is "Congress". The Lower House of Parliament is called "House of Representatives" and the Upper House is called "Senate".
No, actually we don't have a parliament.  BRTD's point is dead-on: if Congressmen in the U.S. were simply appointed by the party we would have way more women and minorities in office.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2005, 12:53:42 PM »

No, actually we don't have a parliament.  BRTD's point is dead-on: if Congressmen in the U.S. were simply appointed by the party we would have way more women and minorities in office.
New Mexico irony: the last two 'minorities' in federal office were both Republicans: Heather Wilson (female, duh) and Manuel Lujan (Hispanic, also duh). All the Democrats are white males. Cheesy
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2005, 01:03:02 PM »

New Mexico irony: the last two 'minorities' in federal office were both Republicans: Heather Wilson (female, duh) and Manuel Lujan (Hispanic, also duh). All the Democrats are white males. Cheesy

Bill Richardson... a "white" male?

Point. Its easy to forget that with such a name. Smiley And he was succeeded by two white males, Bill Redmond and Tom Udall, in the most 'minority' of districts. Wink Mind you, I bring this up because the NM Dems bitch about having no Hispanics in Federal office... *looks at Udall* *looks at Bingaman* ...uh, sure, pal, whatever. Cheesy
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2005, 01:36:38 PM »

Governor is a federal office?
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2005, 01:41:04 PM »

He represented the 3rd CD for many years before going to become Clinton's UN Ambassador and later Secretary of Energy. He will most likely become a U.S. Senator at the first opportunity.

He wants to be President or Vice President. I can't see him settling for Senator...I mean, he wouldn't be able to order things at whim. Roll Eyes
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2005, 01:49:26 PM »

He represented the 3rd CD for many years before going to become Clinton's UN Ambassador and later Secretary of Energy. He will most likely become a U.S. Senator at the first opportunity.

But I believe he falls outside of the range of the "last 2" officials.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2005, 01:53:27 PM »

Well, you should know. I haven't lived there since 2000.
You've missed the reign of 'King Bill', then...the Democrats in the Legislature are so his bitches. They'll do anything he asks, no matter how hypocritical it makes them look ('we're opposed to even a shred of voter ID!' KB: 'I support a limited form of voter ID.' 'okay, we're not opposed to even a shred of voter ID...'). He actually swiped control of half the capital outlay money from them and they just rolled over and took it. After that, anybody from either party who dares defy him gets their capital outlay money for their district line-item vetoed. The NM Dems actually found a way to make me think less of them. Wink

So why would King Bill give that up to be one equal among a hundred?
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2005, 01:55:19 PM »

But I believe he falls outside of the range of the "last 2" officials.

He was in Congress after Manny Lujan had left to become Secretary of Interior under George H.W. Bush. I think he still qualifies.

New Fed is right - I had my order wrong. Richardson came after Lujan - although there was an overlap period where both of them served at the same time - and before Wilson.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2005, 02:10:15 PM »

Is Richard Romero still the Majority Leader in the Senate? If so, I am surprised and disappointed that he does nothing about all this!
He ran against Wilson in 2002 and 2004 but lost both times, obviously. He had to not run for re-election in 2004 (when his State Senate seat was up) in order to go for the re-match, so he's not in office at the moment. His seat is now held by an ultra-leftist who I despise. Angry
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2005, 02:53:51 AM »

BRTD's point about party control is correct (although MP's are not simply "appointed" by their party, it's a bit more complicated than that). But that's got nothing to do with the name of the US' parliament. The British parliament is fptp too (although parties have more control on who gets nominated).

Pakistan uses first past the post too btw. And that Pakistani parliament is full of Islamists.
Blue Rectangle

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2005, 12:26:00 PM »

BRTD's point about party control is correct (although MP's are not simply "appointed" by their party, it's a bit more complicated than that). But that's got nothing to do with the name of the US' parliament. The British parliament is fptp too (although parties have more control on who gets nominated).

Pakistan uses first past the post too btw. And that Pakistani parliament is full of Islamists.
Yeah, I over simplified.  But there's a reason why Pakistan has had a female PM, while the U.S. has not had a female president, and that reason has a lot more to do with political process than culture.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2005, 01:30:15 AM »

Yeah, I over simplified.  But there's a reason why Pakistan has had a female PM, while the U.S. has not had a female president, and that reason has a lot more to do with political process than culture.

In India, Indonesia, and the Philipinnes, women have become head of state as daughters of previously prominent male heads of state or politicians, following a tradition dating back at least to Elizabeth I. Interestingly, Hillary is the front runner among women in the US by far, due to her own familial relationship. Nature has a certain way of intruding in our carefully constructed sociology.

Tansu Ciller of Turkey is the only completely self-made woman to become head of state in a muslim country, as far as I know.

Still, it is interesting that the 3 largest muslim nations in the world have had female heads of state (India has the most muslims), all less than 50 years after the birth of those nations.
Blue Rectangle

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2005, 11:44:28 AM »

Tansu Ciller of Turkey is the only completely self-made woman to become head of state in a muslim country, as far as I know.
What was Bhutto's story?  That wasn't a family connection, was it?
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2005, 01:19:42 PM »

What was Bhutto's story?  That wasn't a family connection, was it?

Her dad was PM of Pakistan too.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies