Women in Parliament (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 06:05:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Women in Parliament (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Women in Parliament  (Read 3430 times)
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« on: April 26, 2005, 12:53:42 PM »

Of course they do. Its name is "Congress". The Lower House of Parliament is called "House of Representatives" and the Upper House is called "Senate".
No, actually we don't have a parliament.  BRTD's point is dead-on: if Congressmen in the U.S. were simply appointed by the party we would have way more women and minorities in office.
New Mexico irony: the last two 'minorities' in federal office were both Republicans: Heather Wilson (female, duh) and Manuel Lujan (Hispanic, also duh). All the Democrats are white males. Cheesy
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2005, 01:03:02 PM »

Of course they do. Its name is "Congress". The Lower House of Parliament is called "House of Representatives" and the Upper House is called "Senate".
No, actually we don't have a parliament.  BRTD's point is dead-on: if Congressmen in the U.S. were simply appointed by the party we would have way more women and minorities in office.
New Mexico irony: the last two 'minorities' in federal office were both Republicans: Heather Wilson (female, duh) and Manuel Lujan (Hispanic, also duh). All the Democrats are white males. Cheesy

Bill Richardson... a "white" male?

Point. Its easy to forget that with such a name. Smiley And he was succeeded by two white males, Bill Redmond and Tom Udall, in the most 'minority' of districts. Wink Mind you, I bring this up because the NM Dems bitch about having no Hispanics in Federal office... *looks at Udall* *looks at Bingaman* ...uh, sure, pal, whatever. Cheesy
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2005, 01:41:04 PM »

Governor is a federal office?

He represented the 3rd CD for many years before going to become Clinton's UN Ambassador and later Secretary of Energy. He will most likely become a U.S. Senator at the first opportunity.

He wants to be President or Vice President. I can't see him settling for Senator...I mean, he wouldn't be able to order things at whim. Roll Eyes
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2005, 01:53:27 PM »

Well, you should know. I haven't lived there since 2000.
You've missed the reign of 'King Bill', then...the Democrats in the Legislature are so his bitches. They'll do anything he asks, no matter how hypocritical it makes them look ('we're opposed to even a shred of voter ID!' KB: 'I support a limited form of voter ID.' 'okay, we're not opposed to even a shred of voter ID...'). He actually swiped control of half the capital outlay money from them and they just rolled over and took it. After that, anybody from either party who dares defy him gets their capital outlay money for their district line-item vetoed. The NM Dems actually found a way to make me think less of them. Wink

So why would King Bill give that up to be one equal among a hundred?
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2005, 01:55:19 PM »

Governor is a federal office?

He represented the 3rd CD for many years before going to become Clinton's UN Ambassador and later Secretary of Energy. He will most likely become a U.S. Senator at the first opportunity.

But I believe he falls outside of the range of the "last 2" officials.

He was in Congress after Manny Lujan had left to become Secretary of Interior under George H.W. Bush. I think he still qualifies.

New Fed is right - I had my order wrong. Richardson came after Lujan - although there was an overlap period where both of them served at the same time - and before Wilson.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2005, 02:10:15 PM »

Is Richard Romero still the Majority Leader in the Senate? If so, I am surprised and disappointed that he does nothing about all this!
He ran against Wilson in 2002 and 2004 but lost both times, obviously. He had to not run for re-election in 2004 (when his State Senate seat was up) in order to go for the re-match, so he's not in office at the moment. His seat is now held by an ultra-leftist who I despise. Angry
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2005, 02:01:34 PM »

As Angus points out, murdering Hutus had been a Tutsi sport for centuries with the occassional genocide occurring something like twice a century before the hutus rose up in 1994. I thought the main reason for the number of women was that so many men were killed, but that was a pure guess from me. Wink

In Rwanda, the Hutus rose up much earlier, in 1959, and proceeded to murder the Tutsi in turn afterwards, until they were defeated in 1994 by the RPF (who still rules today).

Of course, down south in Burundi, the Tutsi stayed in power and kept up their own massacres of Hutu, ending...err, this year I think.

Two sides of a bloody looking-glass...
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies