Virginia Republicans among those calling for Constitutional Convention
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 10:24:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Virginia Republicans among those calling for Constitutional Convention
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Virginia Republicans among those calling for Constitutional Convention  (Read 8780 times)
Beet
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 03, 2015, 11:33:52 PM »

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/virginia-politics/some-va-republicans-want-to-amend-us-constitution-but-a-party-splits-in-the-way/2015/02/03/06a28c86-abcb-11e4-9c91-e9d2f9fde644_story.html?hpid=z2
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2015, 12:24:22 AM »

I shudder to think what type of conservative mess of a Constitution we'd get with the current political situation.

No thanks.

With the current situation, we wouldn't get much.  Any amendment that seriously tilts the playing field to either the left or the right has no chance of getting 38 states to ratify it.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2015, 11:45:48 AM »

A can of vipers.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2015, 03:24:22 PM »

I oppose the Constitution but I suspect that whatever these reactionary nuts are planning is far more terrifying.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2015, 06:17:46 PM »

This is essentially the only way to pass decent amendments to address Citizens United and anti-voting laws, so I'm all in favor of a new Constitutional Convention.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2015, 08:16:45 PM »

This is essentially the only way to pass decent amendments to address Citizens United and anti-voting laws, so I'm all in favor of a new Constitutional Convention.
There's no way amendments to do that would be adopted by the needed 38 states right now.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2015, 11:48:24 PM »

This is strictly for a Balanced Budget Amendment. Almost 30 states have passed resolutions calling for such a convention. You need 34.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2015, 11:51:13 PM »

There's no way amendments to do that would be adopted by the needed 38 states right now.

Thanks to Kaine and DWS's "leadership", it's best to focus on having 13 states to block batsh**t insane amendments.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2015, 12:23:47 AM »

Considering how polarized the country is at the moment, I see little chance of any nontrivial amendment being passed. It's for the best, really.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2015, 12:31:00 AM »

This is strictly for a Balanced Budget Amendment. Almost 30 states have passed resolutions calling for such a convention. You need 34.

It's open question whether a convention could be limited to a specific topic.  Fears that it couldn't are why the Senate finally approved the Seventeenth Amendment and sent it to the States for rapid ratification with the call being four states short and momentum such that it looked likely there would be a call if the Senate didn't preempt it.  For those who think a convention could be limited, I remind you that technically the Constitutional Convention was supposed to only propose amendments to the existing Articles of Confederation, not a total replacement that wouldn't even use the Articles method of amending.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2015, 01:39:56 PM »

This is almost as bad an idea as returning to the gold standard.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies