Latest Gallup Poll Numbers
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 02:45:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  Latest Gallup Poll Numbers
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Latest Gallup Poll Numbers  (Read 9198 times)
Truman

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 18, 2003, 01:42:07 PM »

"Rally for Bush"
Dean really does look like McGovern now, down by 23 points. But Lieberman isn't doing any better--his poll numbers also plummeted to 20 down after Saddam's capture. Even Clark is down by 16 points. Is there anything the Dems can do?
jravnsbo

« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2003, 02:27:08 PM »

Yes save their money for 2006 and 2008.

Bush is surging and as the economy continues to improve Bush will look even better.  Then add in Saddam's trial, handover of the Iraqi government and passing Energy bill will help int he farm states.

Looks dim for Dems.
CHRISTOPHER MICHAE
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2003, 02:41:09 PM »

Yes save their money for 2006 and 2008.

Bush is surging and as the economy continues to improve Bush will look even better.  Then add in Saddam's trial, handover of the Iraqi government and passing Energy bill will help int he farm states.

Looks dim for Dems.
No, they should energize their base. I think Wesley Clark looks so good right now, even after Saddam's capture. He sticks to his beliefs about the war. He has said all along that we shouldn't have gone into Iraq, but that now that we're there, we just can't pull out now. If he keeps to his story, his campaign will gain momentum. Clark also stated, just recently, that he would have captured Saddam a long time ago. He probably would've.
jravnsbo

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2003, 02:44:46 PM »

How would he have captuired him earlier?

Clark continues to make these wide blanket statements like the conspiracies he didn't have any proof of, just heard in whispers of Washington.
Bandit3 the Worker
bandit73
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2003, 03:04:08 PM »

Run a leftist in every election they possibly can.

I know how Bush's friends in the media and Big Business are determined to pull out all the stops to reinstall their object of affection as absolute dictator. If the Democrats truly have no hope of winning, then there's no reason why they shouldn't mount a big leftist insurgency that at least allows them to publicize their ideas.

And the more liberal areas that they do win should then form a separate nation - freeing themselves from the right-wing police state that America has become. And if they do form a new country, let's hope they save some room for me!
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2003, 03:20:52 PM »

To be honest I've never trusted Gallup... their polls are just...awful... and tend to exagerate everything...

If Bush tops 60% I'll go swimming in the Tyne. In January.
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2003, 03:23:34 PM »

I tend not to trust the Gallup poll.  Maybe it is just PA, but of the people I know who voted Bush, some have switched and will vote for the Dem.  Of those who voted Gore, I know no one who is switching to Bush.
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2003, 03:30:23 PM »

I know how Bush's friends in the media and Big Business are determined to pull out all the stops to reinstall their object of affection as absolute dictator. If the Democrats truly have no hope of winning, then there's no reason why they shouldn't mount a big leftist insurgency that at least allows them to publicize their ideas.

And the more liberal areas that they do win should then form a separate nation - freeing themselves from the right-wing police state that America has become. And if they do form a new country, let's hope they save some room for me!

What would be the point of that?  To be the first nation ever to surrender to France???
Bandit3 the Worker
bandit73
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2003, 03:36:39 PM »

I tend not to trust the Gallup poll.  Maybe it is just PA, but of the people I know who voted Bush, some have switched and will vote for the Dem.  Of those who voted Gore, I know no one who is switching to Bush.

I don't know hardly anyone who voted for Bush in 2000 - yet somehow he managed to get 61% in my county.

There's a small county in Texas called Loving County where Bush actually got more votes than the number of people who live in the county.

I think we can safely say there's been a great deal of election fraud going on.
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2003, 03:37:38 PM »

"Rally for Bush"
Dean really does look like McGovern now, down by 23 points. But Lieberman isn't doing any better--his poll numbers also plummeted to 20 down after Saddam's capture. Even Clark is down by 16 points. Is there anything the Dems can do?
I'm not convinced that the Democrats are done.  I certainly think if Hillary Clinton were running her poll #'s would be higher than any of the candidates ... but we won't see her run until 2008 at the earliest.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2003, 03:40:56 PM »

What would be the point of that?  To be the first nation ever to surrender to France???

Need I remind you that France has one of the most RIGHT WING government's in the industrial world at the moment?
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2003, 03:56:24 PM »

Need I remind you that France has one of the most RIGHT WING government's in the industrial world at the moment?

And yet I wish that your "left-wing" Tony Blair would get on a kit plane with a water pistol and take over the whole place Smiley
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2003, 04:02:53 PM »

The way things are going in France at the moment (ie: VERY badly), I think that even some of the French wouldn't mind that Smiley
DarthKosh

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2003, 04:11:02 PM »

Did your little choo-choo go flying off the tracks?
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2003, 04:12:48 PM »

you mean his brain "went Amtrak"?
CHRISTOPHER MICHAE
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2003, 04:13:01 PM »

You're way out there man, way out there!

[not that that's a bad thing]
Chris
jravnsbo

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2003, 04:30:31 PM »

Sure run a left liberal candidate every time, go right ahead!
M

« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2003, 07:16:41 PM »

Tony Blair is one of the most awesome liberal guys in the world. Do not elect Hugh Grant PM, he will try to end the Special Relationship. Or maybe that's Red Ken. If there's a difference.
zorkpolitics
United States

« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2003, 10:06:17 PM »

The latest poll confirms that positive international news rapidly translates into support for Bush.  This maybe the most controllable thing a President can do.  For Bush I would expect him to exploit this power in a politically useful way, perhaps September/October news from Iraq (troops coming home), Afghanistan (OBL found?), the Mideast : a signed agreement?, Europe:  A NATO or UN based International Force?
Meanwhile the Economy looks to be in excellent shape next year.  With a strong Economy and good news internationally, it could be blow-out victory for Bush in the Electoral College
Bandit3 the Worker
bandit73
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2003, 10:11:17 PM »

The right-wing bias of the media continues.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2003, 08:39:40 AM »

A little side note on Gallup polls, since that company is active in Sweden too. In our recent referendum on the euro, Gallup, alone among polling institutes showed a yes victory 43-42 in their final poll, published the day before the refeendum. The actual result was a no victory 56-42. So I would agree with Realpolitik that they are not entirely trustworthy.
jravnsbo

« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2003, 10:17:16 AM »

Polls  are a "snapshot" only, but show trends and President Bush's trend is now going up!

Signed Medicare/Presc drugs bill, economy is improving, Captured Saddam, DOW over 10,000 and climbing, definately been a good month.
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2003, 10:51:41 AM »

I don't know hardly anyone who voted for Bush in 2000 - yet somehow he managed to get 61% in my county.

There's a small county in Texas called Loving County where Bush actually got more votes than the number of people who live in the county.

I think we can safely say there's been a great deal of election fraud going on.
Well, I don't know anything about the Loving County thing ... but I don't necessarily believe there has been election fraud.

I just tend to believe that polls do not accurately reflect the feelings of the general population.  A great deal of it is how you phrase the question.  And in times of war people are usually (although Vietnam was certainly an exception) very reluctant to give a negative opinion of the President ... even if they intend to vote against him.

It could just be the people I know or the area I live in, but I've seen a decrease in the # of Bush voters amongst the people I know.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2003, 11:02:12 AM »

The sad truth is that everyone always sees the political winds going there way before an election. I don't know why, but it might have something to do with people who have different opinions don't vent them in front of politically dedicated people. But I know a lot of prominent Swedish politicians argue that they felt people were warming to the euro even they were constantly losing support for 12 months. I can also share a personal experience. In my district I was handing out no-ballots on election day, and I definitely felt that people were split rather evenly, which was remarkable considering that my district was a typical yes-stronghold. The result on election day was 75-25 to the yes-side. The voters who disagree with you are there, you just don't spot them!
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2003, 11:05:31 AM »

Tony Blair is one of the most awesome liberal guys in the world. Do not elect Hugh Grant PM, he will try to end the Special Relationship. Or maybe that's Red Ken. If there's a difference.

Aha. Ken Livingstone is the Mayor of Greater London(currently Independent Labour, all but certain to be Official Labour next year), and makes all GOP sniping about Dean being "far left" look rather silly.
And Hugh Grant is a bad actor who always plays himself in any film he appears in.

BTW Ken breeds Newt's!
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies