Opinion of this exchange (from a church video)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:19:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Opinion of this exchange (from a church video)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Opinion of this exchange (from a church video)
Freedom Quotes

Horrible Quotes

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 15

Author Topic: Opinion of this exchange (from a church video)  (Read 1534 times)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 08, 2015, 11:55:54 PM »

This played before the sermon today. Basically these two ultra-hipster looking guys (one with a very stereotypical hipster looking beard who the other guy mentions "even looks like Jesus" and the other guy with very hipster glasses) are sitting at a table and talking while drinking beers in color that's from an Instagram like filter. This part happens at one point (obviously this is a very loose paraphrase):

Beard guy: So anyway I think religion is a lot like that big name kngeg beer you likely drunk at college keg parties.
Glasses guy: How so?
Beard guy: Well it's gross. And odds are you don't really like it. But you drink it anyway because everyone else around is and it's kind of a societal expectation. And at the time you don't really know any better.
Glasses guy: Ha! That's so true!
Beard guy: But you see the sad thing is that it really does turn people off to Jesus. Like in college you discovered better beers. And there's plenty of better ways to God's word than the bad beer you drank when you were young and likely underage. Plenty of better ways to give the message just like all those awesome craft beers we have all around, and unique ways from other countries. But for some reason, people keep drinking the heavily advertised beer that's basically just slightly beer-flavored water and the toxic religion is the biggest out there and turning people off to Jesus. But just like the awesome craft beers flourish in the underground regardless, we're still getting people to buy into what Jesus is really all about. We just need to push the real message of Jesus more to let people know there's more it than religion, just as there's more to beer than what you'll see in a Super Bowl commercial.
Glasses guy: So true man! *they toast their bottles*

Seriously talk about knowing your audience. And honestly, it's a pretty good analogy.
BaconBacon96
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2015, 03:12:08 AM »

In my opinion, these hipsters really don't know about the real Jesus any more than the toxic beer/religion that they claim is turning people away from him.

Sure they had a point about the religion being like popular beer but how can they go ahead and say that their religion is any different? They sound to me like any other religious person who says 'We're right and all those other people are wrong. We know the real message of Jesus and all those other people don't."

Jesus was a nice guy you know, who said some nice stuff. Don't over think it.

This Agnostic votes Horrible Quotes.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2015, 06:00:16 AM »

Decent, but I agree with Bacon. Plus also I hate all manifestations of hipster Christianity reflexively now.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2015, 09:25:07 AM »

In my opinion, these hipsters really don't know about the real Jesus any more than the toxic beer/religion that they claim is turning people away from him.

Sure they had a point about the religion being like popular beer but how can they go ahead and say that their religion is any different? They sound to me like any other religious person who says 'We're right and all those other people are wrong. We know the real message of Jesus and all those other people don't."

Remember that these are the "It's not about religion, it's about a relationship with Jesus Christ" people. They don't claim to be religious.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2015, 02:42:04 PM »

Remember that these are the "It's not about religion, it's about a relationship with Jesus Christ" people. They don't claim to be religious.

The very word CHRIST is religious.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2015, 06:02:25 PM »

No matter the marketing ploy or brand, you consume too much and you are left with frequently violent, obnoxious and unreasonable behavior. 
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2015, 07:29:04 PM »

That's still super dumb.  A religion is an organized or codified collections of beliefs about a metaphysical entity.  "Religion" has never exclusively meant "prescribed rituals and rules."  If you want to draw that distinction, that's fine, but the "relationship not religion" thing is marketing gobbledygook.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2015, 08:02:14 PM »

It reinforces the snobby Gnostic message that the unwashed masses can't truly appreciate "real religion".  I hate Gnosticism in all its forms.  Even Atheism is better.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2015, 03:00:35 AM »
« Edited: February 11, 2015, 03:03:02 AM by Grad Students are the Worst »

It reinforces the snobby Gnostic message that the unwashed masses can't truly appreciate "real religion".  I hate Gnosticism in all its forms.  Even Atheism is better.

Snobby is in the eye of the beholder, though, right?

I'm also not sure what you think this quote has to do with Gnosticisim, or claims that the "unwashed masses can't appreciate 'real religion.'"  I think the point is that "religion" (which again is a dumb way of phrasing it) is a bad vehicle for the important elements of Christianity.  How do you relate Gnosticism to this?
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2015, 08:35:52 AM »

Beer snobbery and Gnosticism both have at their core the belief that certain truths are incapable of being appreciated by all.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2015, 02:59:30 PM »

Revealing in its own silliness: that one selects the beer based on personal tastes rather than a belief that it is actually true.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2015, 12:46:37 AM »
« Edited: February 12, 2015, 12:51:15 AM by Grad Students are the Worst »

Beer snobbery and Gnosticism both have at their core the belief that certain truths are incapable of being appreciated by all.

This is a form of Gnosticism because it holds that "certain truths are incapable of being appreciated by all"?  It only holds that "certain truths are being incapable of being appreciated by all" in the sense that the cartoon argues that a lot of Christians misunderstand the true value of Christianity.  so, basically: "All craft beer drinks are snobs.  Snobbery is an aspect of Gnosticism.  Therefore, all craft beer drinkers are Gnostics"?

I don't think I need to explain why that's fallacious.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2015, 01:10:52 AM »

That's still super dumb.  A religion is an organized or codified collections of beliefs about a metaphysical entity.  "Religion" has never exclusively meant "prescribed rituals and rules."  If you want to draw that distinction, that's fine, but the "relationship not religion" thing is marketing gobbledygook.

Even if it's just a marketing term, I think the distinction is pretty valid. Especially as Christianity fundamentally varies from other religions in this, but some denominations miss this big time, for example no Christian denomination insists that you have to pray at least five times a day pointing in a certain direction, and most denominations don't have all sorts of forbidden foods or forbid certain activities on certain days of the week but some do like create all sorts of arbitrary rules, and it's something the type of people at these type of places try to escape. Think of the video's content and how so many conservative evangelical colleges will expel students if found to be drinking any alcohol, even if legal aged.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2015, 01:23:58 AM »

This is a form of Gnosticism because it holds that "certain truths are incapable of being appreciated by all"?  It only holds that "certain truths are being incapable of being appreciated by all" in the sense that the cartoon argues that a lot of Christians misunderstand the true value of Christianity.  so, basically: "All craft beer drinks are snobs.  Snobbery is an aspect of Gnosticism.  Therefore, all craft beer drinkers are Gnostics"?

My argument is more like "Craft beer drinkers are snobs", "Gnostics are snobs" "Belief in snobbery as a good thing in one area makes other types of snobbery seem better."  Hence thinking craft beer drinkers are better makes gnosticism appear to be better.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2015, 01:31:31 AM »

My argument is more like "Craft beer drinkers are snobs", "Gnostics are snobs" "Belief in snobbery as a good thing in one area makes other types of snobbery seem better."  Hence thinking craft beer drinkers are better makes gnosticism appear to be better.

That's weirdly obscure, but logical.  Withdrawn.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2015, 05:03:10 PM »

Oh God, the smug is just too much.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2015, 05:36:43 PM »

This played before the sermon today. Basically these two ultra-hipster looking guys (one with a very stereotypical hipster looking beard who the other guy mentions "even looks like Jesus" and the other guy with very hipster glasses) are sitting at a table and talking while drinking beers in color that's from an Instagram like filter. This part happens at one point (obviously this is a very loose paraphrase):

Beard guy: So anyway I think religion is a lot like that big name kngeg beer you likely drunk at college keg parties.
Glasses guy: How so?
Beard guy: Well it's gross. And odds are you don't really like it. But you drink it anyway because everyone else around is and it's kind of a societal expectation. And at the time you don't really know any better.
Glasses guy: Ha! That's so true!
Beard guy: But you see the sad thing is that it really does turn people off to Jesus. Like in college you discovered better beers. And there's plenty of better ways to God's word than the bad beer you drank when you were young and likely underage. Plenty of better ways to give the message just like all those awesome craft beers we have all around, and unique ways from other countries. But for some reason, people keep drinking the heavily advertised beer that's basically just slightly beer-flavored water and the toxic religion is the biggest out there and turning people off to Jesus. But just like the awesome craft beers flourish in the underground regardless, we're still getting people to buy into what Jesus is really all about. We just need to push the real message of Jesus more to let people know there's more it than religion, just as there's more to beer than what you'll see in a Super Bowl commercial.
Glasses guy: So true man! *they toast their bottles*

Seriously talk about knowing your audience. And honestly, it's a pretty good analogy.

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies