Northern Ireland Local Election Maps
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 12:57:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Northern Ireland Local Election Maps
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Northern Ireland Local Election Maps  (Read 1134 times)
joevsimp

Political Matrix
E: -5.95, S: -4.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 11, 2015, 04:15:27 PM »

using data from ark.ac.uk and a basemap that I made myself as I couldn't find one online I've created maps of last years inaugural elections to Nor'n Ir'n's new councils.

Councillors are elected to represent District Electoral Areas, each DEA has 5, 6 or 7 Cllrs, elected, as everyone in Ireland apart from Westminster MPs is, by Single Transferable vote.

First up the leading party by number of first preference votes: the DUP and Sinn Fein won the vast majority with the UUP picking up some here and there, the SDLP only managing one or two in each of their strongholds and the Alliance taking a handful in their strongest areas

afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, 04:34:52 PM »

Fantastic work. You beat me to it Cheesy
joevsimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2015, 04:37:15 PM »

next the number of seats for each party in each DEA using the same key as this map from Wiki, showing the results of the 2011 assembly elections (yes I know I've used Red for the SDLP on one map and light green on another, sorry)

those of you who are good at maths may have noticed that 3/5 is a higher percentage than 4/7, but I decided to let that discrepancy slide as there are only eight DEAs where any one party gained four or more seats.

First the DUP and Sinn Fein, showing them distributed largely as you'd expect, with the DUP doing a little better in Sinn Fein's territory than vice versa

joevsimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2015, 04:52:20 PM »

the UUP had a good election compared to their recent form(outside of Belfast anyway) and they look to have done well in the westminster seats that they hope to regain, like South Antrim and Upper Bann. The SDLP on the other hand didn't do too badly but they still lost votes, hard to tell in Sputh Belfast but they seem to be neck and neck with SF in Foyle but staying ahead in South Down.

joevsimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2015, 05:03:28 PM »
« Edited: February 12, 2015, 03:13:59 PM by joevsimp »

the Alliance also dropped back a bit but remained strong where you'd expect them to, I don't know whether them doing much better in Co Down than in Co Antrim is a long term trend or if its a result of the flag dispute

of the other parties, the TUV had a great result, their assembly seat in  North Antrim should be safe based on this, and they expanded beyond that stronghold.  the Greens did better than projected and had a near miss as well and the PUP also had a few decent results. meanwhile UKIP picked up a few seats, NI21 had a slight meltdown on election day and only managed to pick up one seat and People Before Profit (Irish Swappies) gained a seat in one of SF's uber strong areas. the independents are not broken down into unionist/nationalist/other as its not possible to describe yourself as that on the ballot paper

key
Teal   Traditional Unionist Voice x1
Dark Teal   Traditional Unionist Voice x2
Cyan   NI21
Dark Red   Progressive Unionist Party
Scarlet   People Before Profit
Green   Green Party in NI
Purple   UK Independence Party
joevsimp

Political Matrix