Major Cities where Whites Voted for Romney? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:03:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2012 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Major Cities where Whites Voted for Romney? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Major Cities where Whites Voted for Romney?  (Read 16609 times)
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« on: June 06, 2016, 10:07:05 AM »
« edited: June 06, 2016, 10:11:04 AM by President Griffin »

No way he won Atlanta whites:

Even if you assume black turnout was 100% of VAP and Obama won 100% of the black vote in 2008 + assume that Latino/Asian turnout was 100% of VAP and Obama won 70% of them, then Obama would have won 61% of whites.

In reality, Latino/Asian turnout was likely 1/3 of its VAP and Obama probably won around 96% of the black vote. That'd mean Obama won 70% of ATL whites in 2008; probably closer to 65% in 2012.

It's worth noting that whites in Fulton County - the northern half of which mostly includes heavily white areas that come closer to voting for the GOP in numbers like the outer suburbs do, and has very high turnout - was 42% Obama in 2008 and 37% Obama in 2012. Basically, whites in the non-ATL portions of Fulton vote 70-80% R; the whites in ATL are 60-70% D and skew the numbers/hide that reality.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2016, 10:23:43 AM »

^^^ Also, I forgot to really promote my 2012 white vote project by county that I linked to in my previous post. It can help answer at least one other one:

Since Marion County, IN = Indianapolis, apparently, then I can report that Obama won 50% of the white vote there in 2012, plus or minus a couple of points. It is more accurate in counties where the share of the non-white, non-black vote is lowest. It's safe to say that the white vote was effectively tied in Indianapolis.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2016, 12:30:57 AM »
« Edited: June 07, 2016, 12:38:35 AM by President Griffin »

Since Marion County, IN = Indianapolis, apparently, then I can report that Obama won 50% of the white vote there in 2012, plus or minus a couple of points. It is more accurate in counties where the share of the non-white, non-black vote is lowest. It's safe to say that the white vote was effectively tied in Indianapolis.

Could you elaborate? Indianapolis seems like whites would narrowly vote Romney, simply because it annexed almsot all of its suburbs.

I hope this makes sense. I feel like I started repeating myself after a while.

I built the national map out by using formulas that combined voter registration/voter turnout data by race (where available), and where not, Census 2010/2012 data that compared the difference/discrepancy between the share of each state's electorate by race (2008/2012 exit polling) with the share of the population of each state. Essentially, the white share of the vote was calculated by reverse-engineering the totals using non-white support and turnout levels, which are far easier to project as a whole. With all of this information, I then had available the basis for a "national formula" that plugged in all of these variables (turnout as a share of their adult population + support for Obama), and proceeded to build custom state-by-state formulas based on the information I was able to find. For instance, the formulas had to be customized to a greater degree in states like Texas (Latinos), where I had to do three separate rounds of tweaking not only statewide, but at the county level in order to produce something that is still probably quite inaccurate at the county level, but definitely less so than before.

In states like IN - where whites swung by some of the biggest margins of any state - I was able to use the formula with a combination of 2008 exit polling, the racial makeup of the state/likely electorate in both cycles, and the amount of the overall swing statewide from 2008-2012 to further refine the white share of the vote. States like IN were a bit easier to do due to their relative whiteness, and on top of that, analyzing that statewide swing to calculate the white share of the vote was more reliable since whites were such a large share of it. That was then extrapolated to the county level.

I'm quite confident with my projections in Indiana; +/- 2 points or so. However, if it is off, then it is more likely that Obama did even better: I observed - where it was possible for me to do so thanks to exit polling - that my formulas more often under-represented Obama's share of the white vote than it did over-represent it. It's also worth noting that my statewide formula for IN spat out the exact same number as the NYT exit poll ("38.0%" in my formula; "38%" for NYT).

Indianapolis may be to a greater extent like ATL. It seems to me at a glance that the (real) city comprises a greater share of the county's population than ATL proper does of Fulton County; it's possible that just like in Fulton/ATL, your city whites were overwhelmingly Democratic (65-70%) and the suburban folks were 30-40%. Those are just approximations/examples; I haven't actually broken down the county's population proportions et al to see what the most likely ratio would be in that case.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies