The Sam Spade Memorial Good Post Gallery (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 12:03:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  The Sam Spade Memorial Good Post Gallery (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Sam Spade Memorial Good Post Gallery  (Read 90219 times)
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: February 15, 2015, 03:54:33 PM »

Wow, five posts in and not a single "good post" yet. This thread is off to a "good" start.

Seriously. And as much as Spade could make excellent points (when he occassionally would refrain from being needlessly cryptic or an outright a**hole), the above posts don't belong anywhere near ANY thread, let alone a 'Good Post Gallery'

Come to thing of it, that'll be fixed momentarily.....
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 02:03:44 AM »

Is this the sort of thing we're supposed to put in here?

Just let it go.  Pressing the issue is no reason to create even more unhappiness for you and for your family (which it will).  Maybe Torie's suggestion of a letter will work, but I'm not so sure.

Without knowing your entire situation, are you separate from them financially?  If so, then you should (1) really let it go or (2) tell them and be willing to accept the possibility that they'll shut you out of their life permanently - you have to be emotionally ready for that.

If you are not separate from them financially, you should aim for creating a situation for yourself where you are not reliant on them in this way, otherwise you could be shoved again into the same bad situation as you were 17.

Perhaps as the supposed gay-hater role I play with a certain amount of seriousness in the points I make sometimes, I can tell you this with some honesty.  Your parents and your sister would prefer you being gay and not knowing a whit about it, your lifestyle or even the fact that you are, as opposed to knowing about it and more importantly, throwing it in their faces.  

Always remember that, unless, of course, you don't really care about your relationship with them emotionally.

No. Only good posts.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2015, 10:31:54 AM »

Wow, five posts in and not a single "good post" yet. This thread is off to a "good" start.

Seriously. And as much as Spade could make excellent points (when he occassionally would refrain from being needlessly cryptic or an outright a**hole), the above posts don't belong anywhere near ANY thread, let alone a 'Good Post Gallery'

Come to thing of it, that'll be fixed momentarily.....

Reported for trolling.

George my friend, it's times like this I wish I had ready access to a middle finger emoticon. Wink

Re: the other new posts here--the Gallery is saved. Smiley
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2015, 06:35:55 PM »

Why was my inclusion here of one of this Gallery's namesake's posts deleted without being reported first?

I probably did. I was on vacation and having to navigate the Forum on my phone. I didn't feel like taking the time to report the post myself (and possibly assess points for it) then delete it, so I just cut out the middle man.

Seriously Joe, I don't remember what post of Spade's you put here, but if it is the one where he ended a disagreement by calling the other poster a fa#$ot, then I regret nothing. That sort of $hit doesn't belong anywhere on the Forum, let alone in a "Good Post Gallery".
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2015, 12:06:52 AM »

There's a stereotype of Canada, that Canadians don't know what their national culture is, except that they're not the United States.

That's was AAD reminds me of.  More than any other identity, they define themselves as not Dave Leip's Atlas.

Of course, that's where the analogy breaks down.  Last time I checked, Canadians are too polite to drive down to the US for the sole purpose of telling us Americans how superior they are.

I don't object to AAD's existence any more than I object to Canada's, but I do object to the way they act when they travel abroad.

Thank you for posting this directly into the gallery . Smiley
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2015, 12:41:48 AM »

I gotta stop reading through old threads, but this deserves recognition as a classic post. This thread was so bad.

I just want it to pop soon. It'll really screw over lots of suburbanites when it does.

Dolt

If the housing market where to *collapse* (like it did over here in the early '90's) it isn't just suburbanites that get effected; the overwhelming majority of Americans live in households that own their own home. Every single one of those families gets hurt (often very badly) and it could well plunge the entire economy into a pretty bad recession. And if the U.S economy has a bad recession, the rest of the world has a worse one.
Besides do you know what sort of family gets hurt hardest by a housing market collapse? Without putting too fine a point on it, it isn't rich people.

Discouraging to see BRTD hasn't changed a lick in 10 years.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2015, 09:17:38 PM »

Sorry for responding to something in one of the post galleries/mines but

Over 750,000 refugees have been resettled in the United States in the past 14 years; not one has been charged as a domestic terrorist; the United States has one of the most strict and extensive vetting process in the world for refugees entering the United States. The refugees fleeing Syria are escaping ISIL, and forcing them to stay in Syria only emboldens them. To close our borders to these people because of a terrorist attack committed in France by French nationals is immoral, prejudiced, and wrong.

He didn't mention the fact that the French nationals involved in the Paris attacks ultimately had roots in Muslim countries (or, in the case of one of them, partial roots; with his mother being Portuguese),

Even if you ignore the fact that it would be ridiculous and racist for our refugee and immigration policies to discriminate against an entire religion of one billion people just because of the actions of a handful of people, it's frankly absurd for you to imply that we should treat our own citizens any differently on account of their religious beliefs. Fortunately, our founding fathers envisioned that there might one day be people as absurdly bigoted as you, so they wrote the First Amendment to prohibit religious discrimination Smiley

You must be logged in to read this quote.

The Syrian passport was probably fraudulent. The refugee in question went very far out of his way to properly get his passport stamped in two different European countries at a time when the German government announced that the European customs enforcement was so incredibly overloaded that even the few refugees who agreed to be properly registered with them found it nearly impossibly to do so at all. This (probably fake) passport that was registered as a refugee's in both Greece and Serbia (despite the incredibly difficulty it would take to do so in either place, let alone the redundancy of doing it twice) managed to remain completely intact after the person holding it detonated a suicide bomb they were carrying. The only realistic possibility here is that the terrorist got a fake passport, got himself recorded as a Syrian refugee with it, then placed it on his body during his terrorist act in such a way that it would survive to be found once he died. ISIS wants Europe to close its doors to refugees - they hate the idea of Muslims living in Christian lands, and they want these Muslims to hate the West so they can potentially be recruited as footsoldiers and terrorists.

Or, of course, we could assume that the terrorist went through the proper bureaucratic channels when entering Europe just because he was a law abiding citizen, and he kept his passport on him while he was slaughtering innocents because hey maybe he might need to catch an international flight after he's done detonating a suicide bomb in a crowded stadium you never know

Hello yes I am denying your assertion and I see no credible evidence supporting it. As the Paris attacks demonstrate, ISIS has lots of supporters in Europe already and the bigger problem for them is getting those European terrorists to travel to Syria, not the other way around.

Taking like a million refugees hoping to reach a new life in Europe, and leaving them to die in a war zone because of our own intolerance? Yeah I'm sure that won't drive anyone to ideological extremes or compel anyone to take up arms against us nope no way

yeah and if the United States hadn't been so liberal in allowing immigration we wouldn't have had to deal with so many Japanese saboteurs during World War Two

oh wait

I don't think it'd be too smart of an idea to flood hundreds of thousands of disaffected refugees into the homeland of radical Wahhabism that produced Bin Laden most of the 9/11 hijackers

Props to you for this at least Smiley

thanks for reminding us why this thread is named for you, BK.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2015, 03:58:47 PM »

No, and I don't know the reason why Hillary's unpopular there.

She's universally unpopular there to the point that it will likely be her worst state and she has a better chance at winning Utah than she does Colorado. If she's elected president CO will likely secede from the union.

Is there any reason for that?

Shrillary has earned the animosity of Coloradans for her long support for socially repressive and war-mongering policies. Since at least 1996, Colorado has known what the Clintons were about, and they ain't about it. This can be evidenced in then-Senator Barack Obama's landslide win in the CO Caucus in '08. The people of Colorado are a peaceful, tolerant, and liberty-loving folk. None of this describes Hellary.

This is actually a rather hackish posy (especially for. Cathcon) and doesn't belog within these hallowed halls.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2015, 01:22:57 AM »

Posting your own lame single sentence post into the GPG, which is reserved for posting other people's well-crafted, thoughtful effortposts?  Wulfric is angling for worst poster on Atlas, it seems.

For shame, Wulfric. Sad
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2016, 11:14:35 PM »

As a moderator, I'm torn between non-interference in what are, formally, non-administrative matters, and the desire to maintain proper forum culture and etiquette (such as deleting ineligible posts from the GPG, for example).

By all means please intervene.

by all means don't
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2016, 11:20:41 PM »

It really amazes me to watch people who have voted Republican all of their lives, who endlessly cheered on the likes of Ronald Reagan, both George Bushes (especially the second one - have we forgotten already??) as they did much to wreak havoc on America (and the rest of the world!) through destroying the social safety net, launching pointless and devastating wars, appointing thousands of right-wing hacks to the federal judiciary and the federal bureaucracy; who nodded in approval as congressional Republicans have, without exception, blocked much of President Obama's legislative agenda in an unprecedented display of bitter sore-loserdom; who have stoked the ugly, base, racist, sexist, misogynistic, homophobic, xenophobic, chauvinistic instincts of White America, long before Donald Trump cared about being a politician; and who, more than anyone else, enthusiastically endorse, promote, and intellectually rationalize the modern American conservative ideology - the single most destructive ideology in American politics, not least of all to black Americans and other minorities, immigrants, women, the LGBT community, the poor and the working classes; it really amazes me, to watch these people be horrified by the out-of-control Frankenstein(Trump) that they are directly responsible for creating.

Donald Trump may say a lot of outlandish and awful, bigoted bulls-it, but that's par for the course for the Republican Party for the last 50+ years. Take a good, hard look at the other Republican candidates in the race: John Kasich? The "moderate, sensible" Governor whose favorite pastimes have included not allowing gay people to get married, wrecking the public education system in Ohio, and  quietly slipping vile anti-choice/anti-abortion provisions into larger, less controversial budget bills? Marco Rubio, the Republican Senator from the state that recently gave us such "moderates" as Jeb Bush and Rick Scott? Ben Carson? Ted Cruz? Are you f-cking kidding me?

I have no sympathy for the Republican Establishment as they utterly failed to see the likes of Trump coming. I have no sympathy for people who focus obsessively on Trump while ignoring (or worse, promoting) other, equally vile Republican candidates. I have nothing but contempt for wealthy, elite Republicans who themselves have nothing but contempt for the less well-off or less-educated members of their own party who have been gravitating to Trump in large numbers.

As far as support for Trump goes; for me, it is strictly schadenfreude at the inevitable consequences of Republican electoral strategy, the right-wing media (National Review, FOX News, etc.) and other lifelong water-carriers for America's main right-wing party being utterly discredited, and other Establishment pricks who failed to take Donald Trump's candidacy seriously - until it was too late. No, I don't actually support Donald Trump or what he stands for (I'm a liberal Democrat, FFS) , but I fail to see how he is any worse than the Republican Party as a whole - and that most definitely includes the so-called "moderate" Republican Establishment.

If Trump is a fascist, then the Republican Party as it has existed for the past several decades is directly responsible for creating and enabling fascism in America. They can't wash their hands of that, no matter how hard they try.

rename the mine, this one's a winner

truth be told, it should've been renamed long ago. Spade had flashes of brilliance, but his unrepentant homophobic a$$hole posting on AAD shows he was overrated to begin, and fell low since.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2016, 12:31:36 AM »

It's slightly more than flashes. Keep the name. Spade's glory must live on here too even though some don't have access to his gorgeous posts.

^ Spade is one of the all time greats and his name should forever be attached to this thread.

Was maybe, but I'm just unimpressed with posters who "ironically" sprinkle their posts with calling people f****ts and unapologetic racism. Oh, plus combining it with pseudo-Oracle like hints that mean nothing but implying I'm SOOOO much smarter than you plebes (but without having to put an actual prediction on the line to potentially fail).

And even his ratio of insightful good posts have dropped off dramatically in recent years. There are others far more worthy to have this hall named after them.

But....AAD folks gotta circle jerk, so.....
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2016, 12:36:29 AM »

I read in some American media that Russian trolls are paid 45,000 roubles a month for participation in Amrican  social networks. I have been active on this forum since the beginning of April. So I  could have earned 4*45,000 = 180,000 roubles. Lots of money. Enough to travel to the USA and back.

I'd note that after linking enough posts to media stories about Russian internet advocates for Putin's policies , he quit posting that same day.

Yeah, we got rid of one of Putin's pawns from Atlas. HOO-RAH!! Cheesy
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2016, 08:11:06 PM »

If you're a Fortune 100 CEO, you're a very smart, hard-working, highly successful person. That, of course, doesn't mean that millions of other people aren't also all of those qualities, but if I were running for president, I would want the support of all 100 of them. You (should) always want the smart, successful people on your side.

Well, you would put that turkey in this thread, wouldn't you?

I wouldn't actually have noticed the post if not for the discussion about it in this thread's opposite Tongue

It seems rather odd to me that "CEOs are smart, powerful people, and you should want them to be your allies" is even a controversial statement; there's no moral judgment of any sort being made and it struck me as simply being a true observation.

The founding principle of left-wing politics, as I understand it, is that powerful people ought to be, if not the enemy (whatever Schmitt said, I don't believe that politics should be about designing enemies), at least the adversary. Powerful people can become allies if and only if they acknowledge the fundamental injustice of their social position (in modern terms, if they "check their privilege") and embrace an agenda aimed at undermining it.

now THAT belongs in the Good Post Gallery. Smiley
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2017, 11:32:38 AM »

This "good post gallery" is literally named after a rape apologist / PUA MRA.

Who now exclusively posts on AAD.

Fair, though he has been largely MIA since October.

His vague predictions passing off as brilliance schtick fell apart, it seems.

Forgive the minor necroposting comma but just to reiterate my post from the other day that Spade is one of them overrated posters forum has had, and there are over a dozen better contenders to name this thread after.

So moved. Any seconds?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2017, 12:09:57 PM »

Forgive the minor necroposting comma but just to reiterate my post from the other day that Spade is one of them overrated posters forum has had, and there are over a dozen better contenders to name this thread after.

So moved. Any seconds?

We can't use both threads why?

Wait a minute. That's right. There's a new good post Gallery renamed for Virginia. I just found it on the second page. When a mine thread is replaced, isn't the old one usually locked? Why wasn't this one? Why do we have two good post threads now?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2017, 09:29:57 PM »

So moved. Any seconds?

We can't use both threads why?

Wait a minute. That's right. There's a new good post Gallery renamed for Virginia. I just found it on the second page. When a mine thread is replaced, isn't the old one usually locked? Why wasn't this one? Why do we have two good post threads now?

Some other genius didn't like Sam.  Perhaps the subsequent thread should be locked.  But in reality it violates no rule to have both and it's a pissing contest at this point.......and a silly one.

I don't think it's so much a pissing contest, Grumps, as simple longtime Forum tradition that threads periodically get renamed/restarted, and when a new one starts the old one is locked for posterity. It's simply redundant to have two good post threads.

Oh, and:

Sam Spade is terrible, Virginia is the best, and mods please lock this thread thx.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2017, 03:31:17 PM »

I was thinking about posting this to AAD in the Worst Posts thread, but I'm going to say it here.  It's probably a more appropriate place to vent about these sort of things.

Those of you who think that bad election nights are the worst days of your lives - and I mean this to those who are sincere in that judgment - guess what, you haven't seen tragedy.  I was literally sick the night that Trump won, and if it weren't for some self-medication, I would've spent the evening vomiting my brains out.  Sure, it was bad, but try coming home one night to find your father's corpse on the cold garage floor.  Try watching a festering skin disease slowly eat away at one of the only people who's still in your life, without support from extended family.  Try being violently stalked and harassed by total strangers who break into your house or apartment, piss in your pets' cage, walk out with your sht, hock on your front door, and continue to intrude on your rights and your privacy to the point of you losing your mind as well as your dignity.  That's tragedy.  And I in no way mean to discount the many lives that are in danger under Trump's presidency, but when life hits hard, you realize that elections are little more than blood sport that we just sit back and watch.  And, being honest, most of the folks here are capable of living their lives as normal regardless of who's president.

So don't tell us that a bad election was the worst day of your life.  Because if that must be the case, then clearly you've never experienced life.

Here here!
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2017, 03:35:53 PM »

How about we keep this thread open but change name for someone more deserving than a racist asshole?

How about Santander? I think we could all agree on that.

Guys, guys. You misread. It was suggested someone OTHER than a racist a******.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies