Saskatchewan provincial election 2015/2016 (more likely in 2016)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:52:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Saskatchewan provincial election 2015/2016 (more likely in 2016)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5
Author Topic: Saskatchewan provincial election 2015/2016 (more likely in 2016)  (Read 20335 times)
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 16, 2015, 07:13:07 PM »

Riding boundaries have been redrawn for this election.  There will be 61 constituencies up from 58.
The NDP has started nominating candidates for the election.   

Saskatoon
1.Vicki Mowat, Saskatoon-Fairview, Sociology Lecturer, Canadian Forces Reserve Captain, B.A (Hons) and M.A-Sociology, Half Marathon Runner, Acclaimed, 2011 old boundaries result 50.98-46.22%

2.Jesse Todd, Saskatoon-Eastview, Canada Food Inspection Agency Inspector and Union Chief Shop Steward, Football and Rugby Coach, B.A-, 2011 result 57.51-39.56

3.Michael Karras, Saskatoon-Southeast, K-12 School Vice Principal, Former Special Education Teacher, Past President Learning Disabilities Association of Saskatchewan, Acclaimed, 2011 result 75.41-19.32

4.Nicole White, Saskatoon-Meewasin, READ Saskatoon Financial Literacy  Coordinator, Quint Development Corporation Director, Former Executive Director AIDS Saskatoon, Former Reporter, Ryan Meili for Leader Campaign Manager, B.A- English and History, 2011 candidate in Saskatoon-Northwest?, Acclaimed, 2011 result 54.05-41.73

5.Zaighan Kayani, Saskatoon-Silverspring-Sutherland, Owner All Season Driving School, President Pakistan Canada Cultural Association, CFCR Radio Weekly Show Host and Freelance Journalist, B.A-English and Political Science

Regina
6.Heather McIntyre, Regina-Pasqua, Former Vice President Montessori School of Regina, 2010 Regina South candidate for nomination, 2009 and 2012 City Council Candidate (narrowly defeated both times), Acclaimed, 2011 Regina South Result 53.79-42.61

7.Nicole Sarauer, Regina-Douglas Park, Pro Bono Lawyer and Pro Bono Law Society Program Manager, Regina Catholic School Trustee, Hons Law Degree, defeated for nomination Stephen Moore, Lingenfelter Chief of Staff, 2011 result 52.00-10.34

8.Ted Jalata, Regina-Coronation Park, Canada Revenue Agency Collections Contact Officer, Former University of Regina Track and Field and Cross Country Coach, Former Long Distance Runner, 2011 result 53.59-44.04

9.Brett Estey, Regina-Rochdale, Canadian Cancer Society Cancer Control Coordinator, former High School Assistant Offensive Line Coach, Former High School Football Player, B.A-Political Science (with distinction) and History, Acclaimed

10.Faycal Haggui, Regina-Gardiner Park, Saskatchewan Ministry of Labour Senior Policy Risk Assessment and Planning Analyst, Former Economics Professor, M.A-Economics and Management, PhD-Agricultural Economics, Acclaimed

Prince Albert
11.Nicole Raincourt, Prince Albert-Northcote, Mental Health and Addictions Social Worker, Acclaimed, 2011 result 50.23-46.93

12.Shane Lazorwich, Prince Albert-Carlton, Prince Albert Multicultural Council Executive Director, President Prince Albert Branch of the Canadian Mental Health Association, Roots Band Member 'All Mighty Voice, B.A (Hons)-Political Studies, defeated Justin Gaudet, 63 total voters, 2011 result 60.17-37.56

Rural and Towns
13.Leonard Dales, Melville-Saltcoats, Cow and Calf Farmer, Health Facility Maintenance Power Engineer, 2011 candidate, Defeated Theresa Wilson Catholic School Trustee, 2011 result 73.46-24.47

14.Adam Duke, Humboldt-Watrous, Royal Canadian Legion Branch Branch Services Officer, Political Science Student, Acclaimed, 2011 result 73.02-23.24

15.Cameron Robock, Esteven, Purolator Emplyee, former Oil Field Worker, 2008 and 2012 Estevan City Council Candidate, Acclaimed, 2011 result 79.24-17.27

Oddly the NDP hasn't yet nominated anybody for either of the two Moose Jaw ridings even though these are long time NDP seats and the former long time NDP MLA, cabinet minister and 2007 leadership candidate Deb Higgins is now the mayor.

Retiring MLAs
NDP
1.John Nilson, Regina-Lakeview, MLA 1995-2015/2016, former Attorney General and Health Minister

A number of Sask Party MLAs are retiring as well
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2015, 04:34:54 PM »

Riding boundaries have been redrawn for this election.  There will be 61 constituencies up from 58.

Do you have a link to the new map? I can commence work on an updated blank map for on here.
lilTommy

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -5.04

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2015, 04:39:24 PM »

Do you have a link to the new map? I can commence work on an updated blank map for on here.

not sure if a link to the Maps on http://www.elections.sk.ca/voters/maps/new/ will help you at all?
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2015, 05:08:06 PM »

Boring Saskatchewan Party majority I assume.

Have the Liberals managed to organize this time around?
Boston Bread
New Canadaland
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2015, 08:14:15 PM »

Boring Saskatchewan Party majority I assume.

Have the Liberals managed to organize this time around?
The latest poll (from April 2014) has the liberals polling 9x higher than what they got in 2011. Up to 5.1%. Yeah, that's how dead the SK Liberal party is.
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 3.00, S: -0.41

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2015, 08:44:34 PM »

New Poll
SK Party-54
NDP-25
Liberal-14
Green-4

http://insightrix.com/saskparty-maintains-lead-liberals-climb-federal-election/#sthash.WxZuYIH2.dpbs/

Would be truly Shocked if the Liberals won more then 5% next election.
trebor204
TREBOR204

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2015, 12:23:51 AM »

This hasn't been posted:

Election Date is now Monday April 4th

http://www.elections.sk.ca/media/news-releases/provincial-election-moved-to-april-2016/
Njall
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -5.91

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2015, 02:32:28 AM »

Amusingly, as of Nov. 23, only the Saskatchewan Green Party had a full slate of 61 candidates.  The Sask Party was at 59 candidates, the NDP at 40, the PCs at 2, and the Liberals at 0, with 1 independent.

http://www.elections.sk.ca/candidates-political-parties/candidates/register-of-potential-candidates-by-party-november-23-2015.pdf
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2015, 03:47:22 AM »
« Edited: December 04, 2015, 04:10:27 AM by Adam T »

Amusingly, as of Nov. 23, only the Saskatchewan Green Party had a full slate of 61 candidates.  The Sask Party was at 59 candidates, the NDP at 40, the PCs at 2, and the Liberals at 0, with 1 independent.

http://www.elections.sk.ca/candidates-political-parties/candidates/register-of-potential-candidates-by-party-november-23-2015.pdf

Including the eight incumbents who are all likely to run again (John Nilson is retiring), the NDP is now up to 50 nominated candidates.  Nine of the remaining eleven ridings are in rural areas (roughly half in the strongly anti NDP rural southern part of the province) and the other two are in the small city ridings of Yorkton and The Battlefords.  The NDP not having nominated a candidate yet in The Battlefords is a surprise to me as it is a potential winnable riding for them.

This is the updated list: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saskatchewan_general_election,_2016#Candidates_by_party

A couple of the ridings the person behind that wiki page put into 'Central Saskatchewan' I would consider being in Southern Saskatchewan especially Cypress Hills and possibly Rosetown-Elrose.  

In addition to the relativity bigger cities of Moose Jaw and Prince Albert (each with populations of around 35,000) these are the cities with populations of around 15,000 meaning they more or less completely make up the riding:

1.Yorkton
2.Swift Current
3.North Battleford

These are the cities with populations of around 10,000 meaning they make up around half the riding
1.Weyburn
2.Lloydminster (the Saskatchewan side of the city.)
3.Estevan

The town of Martensville was apparently a few years ago the fastest growing town in Saskatchewan and reached about 7,500 people but I don't know what's happened since then.

I used to think Melfort was one of the small cities in Saskatchewan with a population in the range of 15,000, but I looked it up and its population is only around 5,000.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2015, 10:40:59 AM »

Wonder if Brad Wall being an ass lately will effect his numbers or not. Can't possibly get any more popular, I'd say.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2015, 12:08:45 PM »

Wonder if Brad Wall being an ass lately will effect his numbers or not. Can't possibly get any more popular, I'd say.

I was wondering that as well.  Wall going after the federal Liberals will probably not help him get the votes of many of the 14% of people in his province who say that they plan to vote for the provincial Liberals.  That said, as the Conservative Party got nearly 50% of the vote in Saskatchewan in the federal election, it won't stop him from getting reelected.

However,I absolutely believe that he is going after the Federal Liberals because he is testing the waters on a potential bid for the Conservative leadership.  The idea that he won't run for leader because he doesn't speak French leaves out proven new tools for learning a language like Rosetta Stone where a person can learn at least the basics of a language in around two weeks.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2015, 12:11:10 PM »

Why do the PC's still bother existing?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2015, 12:26:36 PM »

Possibly as a support group for former MLAs convicted on corruption charges.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2015, 04:49:23 PM »

That said, as the Conservative Party got nearly 50% of the vote in Saskatchewan in the federal election, it won't stop him from getting reelected.

And the worst province for the Liberals as well.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2015, 05:49:59 PM »

There was never a merger or disbandment vote. The vast majority of Tory politicians and supporters just left to join the Saskatchewan Party. This left the PC party:

1) With substantial assets, but no membership
2) In the hands of a few anti unite the right types.

If a party is deregistered in Saskatchewan, all the assets are forfeit to the provincial government, so the guys in charge of the PC Party run a few paper candidates each election to keep the party registered until... they return in glory?
DL
Canada

« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2015, 10:45:43 PM »

The idea that he won't run for leader because he doesn't speak French leaves out proven new tools for learning a language like Rosetta Stone where a person can learn at least the basics of a language in around two weeks.

Tell that to Paul Dewar! That is ridiculous - to achieve true fluency in a new language as an middle aged unilingual person would require YEARS of total immersion. If Wall resigns as Premier and lives in a village in rural Quebec with a family for like two years...then i will believe he is serious about national leadership.

I've heard he just wants to make post of money in the private sector.

Apropos of nothing, there has NEVER been a Canadian PM who was ever a provincial premier. Every provincial premier who has taken a stab at federal politics has flopped.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2015, 05:03:18 AM »

The idea that he won't run for leader because he doesn't speak French leaves out proven new tools for learning a language like Rosetta Stone where a person can learn at least the basics of a language in around two weeks.

Tell that to Paul Dewar! That is ridiculous - to achieve true fluency in a new language as an middle aged unilingual person would require YEARS of total immersion. If Wall resigns as Premier and lives in a village in rural Quebec with a family for like two years...then i will believe he is serious about national leadership.

Apropos of nothing, there has NEVER been a Canadian PM who was ever a provincial premier. Every provincial premier who has taken a stab at federal politics has flopped.

There are some people that have difficulty for whatever reasons learning languages like Paul Dewar apparently, and John Crosbie, but according to this site, most people can become fluent in another language using Rosetta Stone in 3 months.  I have a friend who has a degree in physics, so obviously a bright guy, who used Rosetta Stone for some language for some business trip he was going on and, as I indicated above, learned the basics of that language in two weeks (enough to carry out basic conversations) and he learned the language while still working full time.

http://www.fluentin3months.com/rosetta-stone-review/

If the Conservative leadership campaign isn't for another two years, as appears to be the case, Brad Wall would have plenty of time to lead the Sask Party through the next election, set up the next government (seems a safe bet the Sask Party will be reelected) resign and retire from provincial politics and then set himself up to learning French full time.

You could be right that he wants to go into the private sector but it's possible he's just putting that out to keep his options open.  I don't see what reason he would have to be acting as the de facto leader of the federal opposition if he weren't seriously considering running for the federal Conservative Party leadership, as, as I pointed out above, based on the 2015 federal election results and the 2011 provincial election results, the clear majority of people in Saskatchewan who voted for the Federal Liberals in 2015 would have voted for the Sask Party in 2011.

I'm not saying that Brad Wall will run and I'm not saying that he won't, but the idea that his current lack of French is an impediment is nonsense.
platypeanArchcow

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -7.65

« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2015, 10:44:11 AM »

There are some people that have difficulty for whatever reasons learning languages like Paul Dewar apparently, and John Crosbie, but according to this site, most people can become fluent in another language using Rosetta Stone in 3 months.  I have a friend who has a degree in physics, so obviously a bright guy, who used Rosetta Stone for some language for some business trip he was going on and, as I indicated above, learned the basics of that language in two weeks (enough to carry out basic conversations) and he learned the language while still working full time.

If the Conservative leadership campaign isn't for another two years, as appears to be the case, Brad Wall would have plenty of time to lead the Sask Party through the next election, set up the next government (seems a safe bet the Sask Party will be reelected) resign and retire from provincial politics and then set himself up to learning French full time.

You could be right that he wants to go into the private sector but it's possible he's just putting that out to keep his options open.  I don't see what reason he would have to be acting as the de facto leader of the federal opposition if he weren't seriously considering running for the federal Conservative Party leadership, as, as I pointed out above, based on the 2015 federal election results and the 2011 provincial election results, the clear majority of people in Saskatchewan who voted for the Federal Liberals in 2015 would have voted for the Sask Party in 2011.

I'm not saying that Brad Wall will run and I'm not saying that he won't, but the idea that his current lack of French is an impediment is nonsense.

Lol, there's a huge difference between learning enough phrases to get by in another country and learning enough of a language to give meaningful speeches and debate in it without sounding like a 5-year-old with a speech defect.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2015, 12:38:21 PM »
« Edited: December 05, 2015, 12:40:27 PM by Adam T »

Lol, there's a huge difference between learning enough phrases to get by in another country and learning enough of a language to give meaningful speeches and debate in it without sounding like a 5-year-old with a speech defect.

Did you miss the part where I quoted that Rosetta Stone (or programs like it) can teach a person to become fluent in a language in three months?
platypeanArchcow

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -7.65

« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2015, 01:05:50 PM »
« Edited: December 05, 2015, 01:09:13 PM by platypeanArchcow »

Did you miss the part where I quoted that Rosetta Stone (or programs like it) can teach a person to become fluent in a language in three months?

Did you miss the part where that's bullshıt peddled by marketers who want to make it sound like learning a language is easy if you use their magic formula?
adma
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2015, 03:05:45 PM »

If a party is deregistered in Saskatchewan, all the assets are forfeit to the provincial government, so the guys in charge of the PC Party run a few paper candidates each election to keep the party registered until... they return in glory?

Also cf. the BC (Progressive) Conservatives at various points over the past 60 or so years.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2015, 04:21:21 PM »
« Edited: December 05, 2015, 04:24:38 PM by Adam T »

Did you miss the part where that's bullshıt peddled by marketers who want to make it sound like learning a language is easy if you use their magic formula?

Did you miss the article by The Economist that said that Rosetta Stone and programs like it were actually very useful in conjunction with more traditional methods of learning a language.  

I don't know why this should even be an issue.  It took Ruth Ellen Brosseau to become competent in French in, what 3 months? and after a year or so she was fully fluent.  

The Conservative leadership race isn't expected to be held for around two years.  If Brad Wall resigns as Premier shortly after the next Saskatchewan election, he would easily have enough time to master French before the leadership campaign kicks off if he so desires to do so.

If Wall so chooses he also could move to Quebec and immerse himself completely with the language.  If he needed money (I don't know if he's eligible for either an MLA pension or for a municipal pension for his previous position of Swift Current economic development officer) I'm sure the Conservative Party or some 'think tank' would be happy to employ him for a well paying part time job that didn't actually involve much work.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2015, 04:52:01 PM »

Ruth Ellen was already a native Francophone who spent several weeks sprucing up her rusty French skills. The idea that she spoke no French at all was promoted by the party in order to lower her constituents' expectations of herself, and therefore increase her popularity.

In any case, Brad Wall can't resign before 2017 without seeming nakedly opportunistic.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2015, 04:56:37 PM »

In any case, Brad Wall can't resign before 2017 without seeming nakedly opportunistic.

Why?
adma
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2015, 05:33:26 PM »

Incidentally, wouldn't it be proper to change the thread title?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies