Scott Walker - America's answer to Stephen Harper?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 05:47:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Scott Walker - America's answer to Stephen Harper?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Scott Walker - America's answer to Stephen Harper?  (Read 5173 times)
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2015, 09:24:46 AM »

At top 10-15 US schools, undergrad econ is usually considered an equivalent to engineering, physical science, comp sci, and math because there is a very high degree of quantitative emphasis according to Wall Street Oasis.

I know at least one Ivy League school has a two-track major in Economics: Economics with calculus for future economists and quants; economics without calculus for people heading into investment banking or consulting who aren't up for the math and just need a general ground in how economies work.

Columbia, right? I know they do Financial Economics or something. I've heard it's only slightly easier due to like 2-3 upper level classes, but yeah that was the point I was going for.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2015, 09:43:10 AM »

At top 10-15 US schools, undergrad econ is usually considered an equivalent to engineering, physical science, comp sci, and math because there is a very high degree of quantitative emphasis according to Wall Street Oasis.

I know at least one Ivy League school has a two-track major in Economics: Economics with calculus for future economists and quants; economics without calculus for people heading into investment banking or consulting who aren't up for the math and just need a general ground in how economies work.

Columbia, right? I know they do Financial Economics or something. I've heard it's only slightly easier due to like 2-3 upper level classes, but yeah that was the point I was going for.

That would be news to me. All Econ here has calculus.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2015, 09:57:54 AM »

For the theories, I don't doubt it, but I heard for upper level electives, the difference between the 2 majors is often Corporate Finance and Financial Econ vs. Pretty mathematically heavy stuff.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2015, 11:48:19 AM »

Uh, no.  There is no comparison.  Unlike Scott Walker, Stephen Harper has brains -love him or hate him, you have to give him that.

That's what comparing apples to oranges means.  It means you can't compare them.  They're different.

And like I said previously, Stephen Harper is brilliant.

I do not consider Walker to be brilliant.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2015, 12:05:58 AM »

HW was not corrupt.

Barbara would never have let him.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2015, 06:03:26 PM »
« Edited: March 05, 2015, 06:20:02 PM by Adam T »

Michael Campbell, brother of former British Columbia Premier Gordon Campbell is a business talk radio show host and either has a Masters or a PhD in economics.  He is also a failed businessman (his magazine 'Equity' went under shortly after they published an issue showing former B.C Premier Glen Clark in a photoshopped nazi uniform) and is possibly the stupidest person on the planet.

He does a daily weekday editorial on CKNW laughingly called a 'business comment' in which he never actually discusses business at all but gives essentially the same editorial every time "leftists are bad..."

He also hosts a weekly radio show on the same station which features regular guests some of whom are of highly questionable ethics.  I won't name any names, but anybody interested can check out Michael Campbell's guest list and then look up articles by retired Vancouver Sun business reporter David Baines.

One of his regulars though who is highly ethical is jeweler turned business analyist Michael Levi (who may or may not have a degree in economics).  Although Levi is also an economic conservative (he was the 1988 Social Credit byelection candidate in Vancouver-Pont Grey against Dr. Tom Perry) he, unlike the clown Campbell, is thoughtful and highly intelligent.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Michael-Campbells-MoneyTalks/213159332044122
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2015, 03:21:24 PM »

For the theories, I don't doubt it, but I heard for upper level electives, the difference between the 2 majors is often Corporate Finance and Financial Econ vs. Pretty mathematically heavy stuff.

If you're an Econ-Math major then sure. As electives, yes.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies