Scott Walker - America's answer to Stephen Harper? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:53:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Scott Walker - America's answer to Stephen Harper? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Scott Walker - America's answer to Stephen Harper?  (Read 5139 times)
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« on: February 22, 2015, 06:19:30 PM »

Harper has a Master's Degree in Economics, he is brilliant.

Walker is not in Harper's league.

A master's in econ isn't that impressive........I mean, a BS in engineering is loads harder.

At top 10-15 US schools, undergrad econ is usually considered an equivalent to engineering, physical science, comp sci, and math because there is a very high degree of quantitative emphasis according to Wall Street Oasis. (At non-elite schools, it's sort of already at an in-between tier of difficulty between those and some of the more rules-based disciplines.) At the graduate level, that quantitative element is ubiquitous. The comparison you are making isn't really fair as much as you love your engineering.

Nonetheless, the argument was that graduate work in economics >>>> a 2.5 whatever in an incomplete Mickey Mouse stratego curriculum only done so that he could obtain power in a semi-meaningless organization. I don't usually believe education is very indicative of intelligence, but it should be obvious that Harper is very bright. Hard to tell with Walker so far.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 09:24:46 AM »

At top 10-15 US schools, undergrad econ is usually considered an equivalent to engineering, physical science, comp sci, and math because there is a very high degree of quantitative emphasis according to Wall Street Oasis.

I know at least one Ivy League school has a two-track major in Economics: Economics with calculus for future economists and quants; economics without calculus for people heading into investment banking or consulting who aren't up for the math and just need a general ground in how economies work.

Columbia, right? I know they do Financial Economics or something. I've heard it's only slightly easier due to like 2-3 upper level classes, but yeah that was the point I was going for.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2015, 09:57:54 AM »

At top 10-15 US schools, undergrad econ is usually considered an equivalent to engineering, physical science, comp sci, and math because there is a very high degree of quantitative emphasis according to Wall Street Oasis.

I know at least one Ivy League school has a two-track major in Economics: Economics with calculus for future economists and quants; economics without calculus for people heading into investment banking or consulting who aren't up for the math and just need a general ground in how economies work.

Columbia, right? I know they do Financial Economics or something. I've heard it's only slightly easier due to like 2-3 upper level classes, but yeah that was the point I was going for.

That would be news to me. All Econ here has calculus.

For the theories, I don't doubt it, but I heard for upper level electives, the difference between the 2 majors is often Corporate Finance and Financial Econ vs. Pretty mathematically heavy stuff.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies