BREAKING: Ron Paul still a racist
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:52:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  BREAKING: Ron Paul still a racist
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: BREAKING: Ron Paul still a racist  (Read 1901 times)
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 24, 2015, 03:02:14 PM »

http://www.buzzfeed.com/andrewkaczynski/ron-paul-congressional-black-caucus-only-against-war-because?utm_source=digg#.kmw9gAqxd

You must be logged in to read this quote.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2015, 03:04:47 PM »

For the record, there are just as many White people on food stamps as black people.

That's not racism, that's hyper-partisanism, which one still wouldn't expect from Ron Paul (and is still wrong).
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2015, 03:04:49 PM »

"The Pauls can flip minority voters!"
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2015, 03:04:59 PM »

Roll Eyes
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2015, 03:06:05 PM »

For the record, there are just as many White people on food stamps as black people.

That's not racism, that's hyper-partisanism, which one still wouldn't expect from Ron Paul (and is still wrong).

I'll play devil's advocate - is that as a percentage or a pure number? I absolutely don't agree with Paul, but I just wanted to ask.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2015, 03:09:53 PM »

I'll play devil's advocate - is that as a percentage or a pure number? I absolutely don't agree with Paul, but I just wanted to ask.

Percentage or pure number doesn't really matter. The fact that whites could be on food stamps is a number so large and in communities so large proves there is nothing infallible about whites as a race whether it's 1% of 100 million or 10% of 10 million and that the subject of race and food stamp usage can be safely dropped at that point.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2015, 03:15:08 PM »

Just under 11% of the US is white AND has SNAP benefits.
Just under 4% of the US is black AND has SNAP benefits.

Shouldn't really matter what exactly I'm using to estimate those numbers because it's not even close on an absolute basis. Though the other way is obviously reversed (31% vs 15% within a singular race).
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2015, 03:17:41 PM »

Just under 11% of the US is white AND has SNAP benefits.
Just under 4% of the US is black AND has SNAP benefits.

Shouldn't really matter what exactly I'm using to estimate those numbers because it's not even close on an absolute basis. Though the other way is obviously reversed (31% vs 15% within a singular race).

Thank you. That's all I wanted.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2015, 03:19:07 PM »

the race angle shouldn't matter -- the idea of killing people being more important than feeding people is morally bankrupt in its own right.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2015, 03:25:30 PM »

No.

I think the subtext is that black people are entirely "the other," apart from white people and only self-interested.  It's an inability to imagine that black people are thinking, reasoning human beings, rather they're like animals who are hungry and want "our" stuff.

And, there's the fact that Ron Paul has a history of publishing racist screeds, so you don't give him the benefit of the doubt where this could just be interpreted as a poor choice of words.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2015, 04:05:56 PM »

I'm starting to wondering if Ron is trying to deliberately sabotage his son, since Rand has a far better chance of winning the nomination than Ron ever did. Rand is no front runner, but he's definitely a contender. Jealousy can be present in a parent/child relationship when the parent and child are of the same sex.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2015, 05:43:18 PM »

....he's kinda of right in a weird way, but not in the context of how he said it.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2015, 05:58:36 PM »

“... the Black Caucus and others ... are really against war because they want all of that money to go to hybrid car subsidies for people here,” Ron Paul told Lew Rockwell." - Not Racist.

“... the Black Caucus and others ... are really against war because they want all of that money to go to DHS preparedness grants for people here,” Ron Paul told Lew Rockwell."- Not Racist.

“... the Black Caucus and others ... are really against war because they want all of that money to go to superfund cleanups for people here,” Ron Paul told Lew Rockwell."- Not Racist.

“... the Black Caucus and others ... are really against war because they want all of that money to go to  tax cuts for people here,” Ron Paul told Lew Rockwell."- Not Racist.

“... the Black Caucus and others ... are really against war because they want all of that money to go to  highway and airport construction for people here,” Ron Paul told Lew Rockwell."- Not Racist.

“... the Black Caucus and others ... are really against war because they want all of that money to go to  NIH research for people here,” Ron Paul told Lew Rockwell."- Not Racist.

“... the Black Caucus and others ... are really against war because they want all of that money to go to food stamps for people here,” Ron Paul told Lew Rockwell."- Racist!!! OMG! Did you see! He used "black" and "food stamps" in the same paragraph. That's racist. Because Lee Atwater.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2015, 06:04:36 PM »

I'm starting to wondering if Ron is trying to deliberately sabotage his son, since Rand has a far better chance of winning the nomination than Ron ever did. Rand is no front runner, but he's definitely a contender. Jealousy can be present in a parent/child relationship when the parent and child are of the same sex.

Oh, you're that kind of doctor? You will be known at Mr. Scholl from now on
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2015, 06:26:23 PM »

No.

I think the subtext is that black people are entirely "the other," apart from white people and only self-interested.  It's an inability to imagine that black people are thinking, reasoning human beings, rather they're like animals who are hungry and want "our" stuff.

And, there's the fact that Ron Paul has a history of publishing racist screeds, so you don't give him the benefit of the doubt where this could just be interpreted as a poor choice of words.

Yep.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2015, 06:31:38 PM »

No.

Yep.
It's worth noting that Lew Rockwell is head of the RPI, and was also the man behind the newsletters. Take that as you may.
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2015, 06:37:55 PM »

Percentage or pure number doesn't really matter. The fact that whites could be on food stamps is a number so large and in communities so large proves there is nothing infallible about whites as a race whether it's 1% of 100 million or 10% of 10 million and that the subject of race and food stamp usage can be safely dropped at that point.

A lot of people who want to cut for ALL food stamps (most of which go to Whites) are called racist sometimes, too, so I wouldn't necessarily say race and food stamps are being tied together by one side specifically.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2015, 07:24:46 PM »

He only mentioned the Black Caucus because it was the only other group that was consistently anti-war. Basically what he was said was, "These were the only other anti-war people, and they just wanted to use war funds for food stamps."
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2015, 07:29:47 PM »

A lot of people who want to cut for ALL food stamps (most of which go to Whites) are called racist sometimes, too, so I wouldn't necessarily say race and food stamps are being tied together by one side specifically.

Well, "food stamps!" is used as a racist dogwhistle*, despite the fact that there are plenty of whites on SNAP as well. That's how language works, it doesn't need to have a perfect correspondence with reality (and in cases like these it's often better that it doesn't).  That such usage erases the experience of poor whites on food stamps is merely another reason to oppose its use in public discourse.

*Not by every single person who brings it up, TBF.  But by most of them– and by Lew Rockwell in particular? That I'd bet on.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2015, 08:36:32 PM »

I think the more relevant question is whether the Black Caucus is more supportive of food stamps than the average Congressperson or even the average Congressional Democrat, and the answer to this is clearly yes.  Support for spending on programs for the poor domestically is in fact one reason why the Black Caucus tends to be less hawkish than other members of Congress, though not the main one - the more definitive factor being a historic experience that tends toward a less positively nationalistic view of America's role in the world.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2015, 11:21:46 PM »

Ron Paul says typically racist stuff reflective of octegenarian Texan. Forum internet libertards line up to defend him. Film at 11
CapoteMonster
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.49, S: -2.61

« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2015, 11:48:29 PM »

Ron Paul's very partisan in terms of compromising any form of his ideology, and let's not act like that isn't wrong. It's no wonder he ends up with people like Lew Rockwell editing his newsletters.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies