General Senate Discussion
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:09:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  General Senate Discussion
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Author Topic: General Senate Discussion  (Read 18765 times)
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: July 02, 2016, 07:22:48 PM »

What is the status of SSM in Atlasia? I know that with the new constitution we transferred over all the American federal laws, however because SSM was legalized by individual states and the supreme court, their is no federal law legalizing it. 
My interpretation is that how things are in America now is how it is in Atlasia. So same-sex marriage is legal.
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 3.00, S: -0.41

« Reply #51 on: July 02, 2016, 07:34:44 PM »

What is the status of SSM in Atlasia? I know that with the new constitution we transferred over all the American federal laws, however because SSM was legalized by individual states and the supreme court, their is no federal law legalizing it. 
My interpretation is that how things are in America now is how it is in Atlasia. So same-sex marriage is legal.
The Confusion I had though is the fact DOMA and most of these SSM bans are still on the books but unenforceable, so does that mean these laws are unenforceable now, after all our constitution is not the same as the American one. Could someone propose legislation to clarify this potentially messy situation please?. What I don't want to see happen is for a similar situation as happened in Missouri in RL.     
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #52 on: July 09, 2016, 07:59:51 AM »

If this is the new constitution on amendments:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

two thirds of membership means what, the total of members in the body so 4/6 for Senate and 6/9 for House?

It doesn't depend on the number of legislators voting. If there is a vacancy is the membership total lower or it is always the total of seats in the constitution.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #53 on: July 25, 2016, 04:00:54 PM »

In the GM law, the GM can be dismissed by the President with agreement of legislators but is there a time period for the GM mandate? Does it end at the same time as the Presidential term or ends when the GM decided to resign (or dismissed). 
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #54 on: July 26, 2016, 09:12:36 PM »

Suggestion and question on the Federal electoral Act.

Section 14:
Voter needs to post 10 times in the 8 weeks prior to the election.
We could make it 8 times, equivalent to once a week. Less votes would be thrown out because of number of posts.

Voter is deregistered after missing three federal elections. Are federal elections Presidential and House and Senate considered regional?

Section 6 on absentee voting
It doesn't give much time for a voter to vote by absentee ballot if a voter is gone all weekend. Vote can only occur after there is an official ballot (I think candidates can declare for House 1 day before the election. Maybe a voter who knows will be gone could not have to wait for the official ballot and send his ranking of candidates to the Secretary of Elections before the end of candidate declaration. 
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #55 on: August 03, 2016, 01:54:55 PM »

I think it would be wise to consider reducing time of VP's undeclared absence time before the PPT can take over from 7 days to, let's say, 3 days.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #56 on: August 06, 2016, 10:27:04 PM »

In the Election law, waiting almost two weeks for elected candidates to take office tend to lead to lull period. Don't know if elected president need a long time to prepare before swearing in, but at least for other offices if for President is not possible, I prefer shorter lame duck period.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #57 on: August 21, 2016, 04:38:43 PM »

I'd like to urge the Congress to amend the GM Bill to provide for a deputy.
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #58 on: September 26, 2016, 05:40:50 PM »

Just wanted to let everyone know that dfwlibertylover has been confirmed by the South Chamber of Delegates.
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #59 on: October 02, 2016, 11:08:59 PM »

Pretty sure there will need to be an impeachment hearing for Spiral in the Senate based on the constitution.

Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #60 on: October 09, 2016, 10:06:54 PM »

On the Official language act, my opinion is English should be the official language for laws, elections and federal departments. All official government operations should be in English. All Atlasians don't have English as first language but if we want the game to function we need to use a common language.
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #61 on: October 12, 2016, 03:15:40 PM »

On the Official language act, my opinion is English should be the official language for laws, elections and federal departments. All official government operations should be in English. All Atlasians don't have English as first language but if we want the game to function we need to use a common language.
While I understand where you're coming from, I think that would only be worth implementing should we start to have a problem with it. English is the de facto official language for Government.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #62 on: October 28, 2016, 01:29:13 PM »

In a proposal to change the electoral act:

Does this cover Senators? Senators are elected by regional ballot so not a federal election.

I think Senators beginning of term can vary by region if regions don't specify when a term begins.   
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #63 on: October 28, 2016, 04:00:10 PM »

I think Senators beginning of term can vary by region if regions don't specify when a term begins.   
This is correct. Since senators are chosen by the regions, it's up to them to define when the old term ends and the new begins.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #64 on: November 19, 2016, 09:53:15 PM »

Even if it's legal I don't like a President who has that role by accident appoints a Supreme Court Justice. It should be done by the next elected President.
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #65 on: November 19, 2016, 10:04:14 PM »

Even if it's legal I don't like a President who has that role by accident appoints a Supreme Court Justice. It should be done by the next elected President.
Agreed
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 3.00, S: -0.41

« Reply #66 on: November 19, 2016, 10:10:18 PM »

Agreed
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #67 on: December 08, 2016, 11:15:48 PM »

What happens if there is a tie in the Senate for a confirmation of a Cabinet role ?
Does it fail or the VP breals the tie?
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #68 on: December 09, 2016, 03:25:51 AM »

I believe the VP would break the tie, unless of course the vote is on the VP in which case, hmm
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #69 on: December 09, 2016, 12:39:17 PM »

Since I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post directly into the bill discussion thread, I'm posting here to pester you guys on updating the constitution to allow proper regulation of ballots. Right now as per the SC ruling, very few regulations are not allowed and certainly not the update within the Ballot Integrity Act being discussed.

If you guys don't do this, you're encouraging another chaotic election. The last thing Atlasia needs is another contested election that goes to the Supreme Court.

So again I propose my amendment, which should cover all the necessary regulations (which would have to be passed by Congress/states):

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=208051.msg5404124#msg5404124
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #70 on: December 11, 2016, 03:46:38 PM »

Since I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post directly into the bill discussion thread, I'm posting here to pester you guys on updating the constitution to allow proper regulation of ballots. Right now as per the SC ruling, very few regulations are not allowed and certainly not the update within the Ballot Integrity Act being discussed.

If you guys don't do this, you're encouraging another chaotic election. The last thing Atlasia needs is another contested election that goes to the Supreme Court.

So again I propose my amendment, which should cover all the necessary regulations (which would have to be passed by Congress/states)

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=208051.msg5404124#msg5404124
I have introduced the bill to the Senate. Smiley
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #71 on: January 19, 2017, 11:24:34 AM »

Will there be a confirmation thread for DKrol?
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #72 on: January 19, 2017, 06:21:06 PM »

Will there be a confirmation thread for DKrol?

I was under the impression that was the VP's job--I shot rpryor a PM and the thread will be up as soon as we can figure out what's going on.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #73 on: January 21, 2017, 09:05:27 PM »

The Universal Healthcare and Affordability Act seems to be very complex. I don't understand how that system works. I would prefer government single payer for most health coverage.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #74 on: January 21, 2017, 09:52:08 PM »

There was a constitutional amendment passed by the House on language during voting:

While personally I don't see why someone would go to the trouble of changing language of ballot and find it more trouble than fun, I oppose this amendment. For some voting in another language is fun or creative and want to be able to do it. It seems people don't want boringness impose on them. We need citizens to vote and accept their creativity so they have fun participating.

I also don't know if it is applicable. If a candidate has a letter like é or ä in his name it could be ruled as not English.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies