General Senate Discussion
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 05:53:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  General Senate Discussion
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Author Topic: General Senate Discussion  (Read 18772 times)
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: February 10, 2017, 08:14:35 PM »

There was a constitutional amendment passed by the House on language during voting:
You must be logged in to read this quote.

While personally I don't see why someone would go to the trouble of changing language of ballot and find it more trouble than fun, I oppose this amendment. For some voting in another language is fun or creative and want to be able to do it. It seems people don't want boringness impose on them. We need citizens to vote and accept their creativity so they have fun participating.

I also don't know if it is applicable. If a candidate has a letter like é or ä in his name it could be ruled as not English.
It's an interesting point that you make and there should maybe have been some more clarity in the bill to determine what constituted "an English language ballot". Some names change in different languages, some don't and typing errors could effectively make the vote a different language depending on the word (such as "bleu" instead of "blue"):

For example, with my username in different Latin script languages:
English = Clyde1998
French = Clyde1998
German = Clyde1998
Italian = Clyde1998
Spanish = Clyde1998
Gaelic = Chluaidh1998 (technically only translates if you put "Clyde 1998" Tongue)

Although, if I took North Carolina Yankee:
English = North Carolina Yankee
French = Caroline du Nord Yankee
German = Nordkarolinische Yankee
Italian = Carolina del Nord Yankee
Spanish = Carolina del Norte Yankee
Gaelic = Carolina a Tuath Yankee

The question really should be: can the name be easily identified? The amendment was made after a vote was made in a non-Latin script language that everyone was forced to translate to identify what it was.  I could, personally, work out that if someone had voted using the name "Nordkarolinische Yankee" that it's probably a vote for North Carolina Yankee.
LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #76 on: February 20, 2017, 09:28:09 AM »

Is it time for another PPT election?
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #77 on: February 20, 2017, 09:35:03 AM »

Isn't it also March 3rd?
LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #78 on: February 20, 2017, 09:39:39 AM »

That would probably be it, then. Whoops.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #79 on: February 20, 2017, 09:42:11 AM »

rules are linked in the Noticeboard for both chambers, have been since I was VP in December. Wink
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #80 on: March 05, 2017, 05:51:43 PM »

I find the Make the Atlasia federal government more effcient amendment introduced in the House interesting. At the constituional convention some people expressed concern about adding another layer of government, that by having two legislative chambers it would slow down the process, that it was not practical for the game. Turns out they were right, but bicameralism was adopted even if it was a divisive issue and was narrowly adopted. Also this amendment seems to reduce the number of legislators in Nyman. That is a good step since there are too many offices in Nyman.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #81 on: March 12, 2017, 10:08:13 PM »

At least there was an effort to defend bicameralism in the Make the Atlasia federal government more efficient amendment. Explains the theory behind it. Better than argument at the constituional convention. 

The convention fell for it not listening to the voices of the practicality. Making the legislative process more complicated and slow. When I look at the government board, I have a hard time knowing what passed one chamber and is on the verge of becoming law if the other adopt it or what is just starting in the legislative process. I have a harder time to follow what is going on.

The other issue was the number of offices. With the two chambers, there are more offices in Nyman so the reduction in the total number of seats was smaller. It makes it more difficult for regions to have a good number of players for regional assemblies.

I had to count the vote in the convention and it looks like it was 9 for bicameralism, 7 for unicameralism, 2 absentations and 1 expressing reservations but not even voting. A very divisive plan and vote.   
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #82 on: March 14, 2017, 04:22:49 AM »

At least there was an effort to defend bicameralism in the Make the Atlasia federal government more efficient amendment. Explains the theory behind it. Better than argument at the constituional convention. 

The convention fell for it not listening to the voices of the practicality. Making the legislative process more complicated and slow. When I look at the government board, I have a hard time knowing what passed one chamber and is on the verge of becoming law if the other adopt it or what is just starting in the legislative process. I have a harder time to follow what is going on.

The other issue was the number of offices. With the two chambers, there are more offices in Nyman so the reduction in the total number of seats was smaller. It makes it more difficult for regions to have a good number of players for regional assemblies.

I had to count the vote in the convention and it looks like it was 9 for bicameralism, 7 for unicameralism, 2 absentations and 1 expressing reservations but not even voting. A very divisive plan and vote.   

The bills passing each chamber are listed at the bottom of this post: https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=260022.msg5556788#msg5556788

When they pass both chambers, they are put in the list at the very bottom and sent to the President. If you see a bill before the house or Senate, if it passed the other chamber, it will be in its respective list in that post.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #83 on: March 31, 2017, 09:55:20 PM »

Reading a suggestion made in Amending the federal electoral Act in the Senate

Would this deny the right to vote for persons not residing in a region for 168 hours, in the new region, the old region and federal election 168 hours after a move between region ? It's probably not the intent.

I'm in favor of wording that article for it to describe what it takes to have the right to register to vote instead of formulating it right to vote can't be denied. It would save lisitng all cases when a vote could be not counted. The article doesn't have to specify activity requirement with a number, it could be specified in legislation.

The House Voting rights amendment will make a big paragraph in the Bill of rights. I would prefer if the reasons to reject a ballot was in leggislation and not in that place. Even if I tend to agree with the reason, this could be seen as being boring and killing the fun for people with creativity (such as writing in another language) or throwing away too many votes (if a voter writes all candidates are great on a ballot or rank a candidate number 999 and is deemed campaigning because it's negative towards a candidate).

I see no problem making an activity requirement for all Atlasia, a minimum residency to become a voter for all Atlasia and an agreement between all regions on requirements for voters moving regions. Try and keep it simple.     
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #84 on: March 31, 2017, 10:40:41 PM »

Thanks for bringing this up, Poirot. This is going to be a bit of a tough nut to crack.
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #85 on: April 01, 2017, 01:17:19 AM »

Reading a suggestion made in Amending the federal electoral Act in the Senate

Would this deny the right to vote for persons not residing in a region for 168 hours, in the new region, the old region and federal election 168 hours after a move between region ? It's probably not the intent.

The intent is so we can make laws to keep people from moving a bunch of people into a new region the day before an election. Of course you can move regions and still vote in a federal election. The actual restrictions are in the statute (see I'm amending that as well in the legislation), the Constitution is simply being changed to allow for that statute to exist in the context of the recent court ruling.

I'll repeat: the actual restrictions are in the statute, the Constitution is simply being changed to allow for that statute to exist in the context of the recent court ruling.

Well the court disagrees. Are you really suggesting we go against the court's ruling? Shocked
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #86 on: April 02, 2017, 11:08:31 AM »

Keeping the same wording "vote shall not be denied, except" forces us to include all possibilities to reject a ballot in the Bill of Rights.

I would like to only list the rules and cases for valid and invalid votes in legislation and not in the constitution. So section 4 would not be about the undeniable right to vote. It could be about votes cast shall be counted if they respect legislation on voter registration and filling ballots, or about earning the right to vote, for example citizens become registered voter after 7 days in Atlasia and their vote is valid if respects all legislation on voter eligibility and valid ballot.       
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #87 on: June 14, 2017, 08:45:15 PM »

On the Absentee voting act, since a citizen could vote after the declaration period is over

for the House election, is the only possibility for voting then on Thursday ? One day is better than none but it is a short period.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #88 on: June 15, 2017, 11:19:02 AM »

On the Absentee voting act, since a citizen could vote after the declaration period is over

for the House election, is the only possibility for voting then on Thursday ? One day is better than none but it is a short period.

Since the declaration period is 24 hours before the election, I suppose it would be.  I think we should explore shortening the deadline for candidacy declarations (excluding write-in campaigns) so that people have more time to consider how they are going to vote before the election occurs.  I will likely introduce new legislation establishing a 72-hour window and amending the absentee voting bill accordingly if it passes.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #89 on: June 15, 2017, 03:43:15 PM »

On the previous page in a post from last year I commented on the absentee voting being too restrictive.

Section 6 on absentee voting
It doesn't give much time for a voter to vote by absentee ballot if a voter is gone all weekend. Vote can only occur after there is an official ballot (I think candidates can declare for House 1 day before the election. Maybe a voter who knows will be gone could not have to wait for the official ballot and send his ranking of candidates to the Secretary of Elections before the end of candidate declaration. 

I would let a voter vote before the end of declaration if the voter can't vote on the Thursday either. If a candidate waits until the last minute to declare it's not the voter's fault.   
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #90 on: June 15, 2017, 03:49:29 PM »

There is already a section on absentee voting in the Federal electoral Act. It was signed by President Leinad in July 2016.

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=239985.msg5222791#msg5222791

I think it contradicts the proposed absentee voting act because you can't vote absentee and in regular election.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #91 on: August 07, 2017, 06:52:26 AM »

I will be on the leave of the Senate until Tuesday evening.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #92 on: August 19, 2017, 10:52:37 AM »

Again, I must apologize for my absence over the last few days. I'm settling into my grad school now, so I should have a pretty reliable schedule.
Paul Weller
HenryWallaceVP
« Reply #93 on: August 21, 2017, 02:30:12 PM »
« Edited: August 21, 2017, 02:36:05 PM by Fremont Senator Henry Wallace »

I have some questions about the Foreign Relations Review, the creation of which is specified in this Act: https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=253166.0. Because about 3/4 of a year has passed since the Act was passed, and the Secretary of State has still not submitted such a review to Congress, I've been wondering if such a review is even still being developed. Do any of you, my fellow colleagues in the Senate, know if this is still being developed by the SoS, and if so, do any of you have any idea of when the SoS will submit this review to Congress?
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #94 on: August 21, 2017, 03:07:38 PM »

I have some questions about the Foreign Relations Review, the creation of which is specified in this Act: https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=253166.0. Because about 3/4 of a year has passed since the Act was passed, and the Secretary of State has still not submitted such a review to Congress, I've been wondering if such a review is even still being developed. Do any of you, my fellow colleagues in the Senate, know if this is still being developed by the SoS, and if so, do any of you have any idea of when the SoS will submit this review to Congress?
I asked this question during the present SoS's confirmation hearing, but don't remember getting an answer. I know Ted was working on completing the FPR at the time of his resignation, but IIRC it was not particularly close to being done. I have no idea if anyone has done any work on it since June.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #95 on: August 21, 2017, 09:55:47 PM »

Last I heard about the Foreign Relations Review, Ted was just about done with it.  I have a link to the Google Doc, but I will not post it here without executive permission.

Come to think of it, does Snowguy even have this link?  This should have been managed immediately after his confirmation if not before the hearing.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #96 on: September 21, 2017, 10:33:38 PM »

There is the Top Secret Classification Act up in the House right now:
https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=273230.0

Who is included in Cabinet for the sharing of information. Is the Registrar general included? th national archivist? The assisant secretary of elections?

I prefer when all people have all the information otherwise what is the point of trying to follow and judge what is going on. I hope there is not much private info kept from the players not in office.

I'm against the part with private trial to share this secret information. By the time there is a trial the information will be old and if you are really going to put on trial someone divulging an information, do it all in public. I hope this is a part of a law that is put on the books for show but with no intention of being followed.
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #97 on: September 27, 2017, 03:58:25 PM »

I have a question about how we're handling the foreign policy review and the war resolutions that are on the floor of both the House and Senate. How exactly does that work? Like what happens if there are different amendments proposed in the House than the Senate or if the Senate amends but not the House? Isn't it supposed to start in one chamber then go to the other and get sent back if amended?
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #98 on: September 30, 2017, 09:41:57 PM »

I have a question about how we're handling the foreign policy review and the war resolutions that are on the floor of both the House and Senate. How exactly does that work? Like what happens if there are different amendments proposed in the House than the Senate or if the Senate amends but not the House? Isn't it supposed to start in one chamber then go to the other and get sent back if amended?

This process question should be answered.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #99 on: October 02, 2017, 04:46:46 PM »

It's been five days. Some would say people are not paying attention....
Even if the question has been answered privately, the public should get an answer. It's better to try and educate the public than just claim afterwards you don't know how things work. If there is no answer in 48 hours there could be a nuclear war in some part of the world, something like that.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies