General Senate Discussion
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:14:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  General Senate Discussion
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]
Author Topic: General Senate Discussion  (Read 18769 times)
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: October 07, 2017, 01:55:50 PM »

It's been five days. Some would say people are not paying attention....
Even if the question has been answered privately, the public should get an answer. It's better to try and educate the public than just claim afterwards you don't know how things work. If there is no answer in 48 hours there could be a nuclear war in some part of the world, something like that.

Boom!
Maybe other people are interested in the answer but I give up waiting.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #101 on: October 09, 2017, 01:35:15 AM »

Look I have said it before, and I will say it a million times. If someone has not responded within a day or two, PM them the link to the thread. Especially in this case since:

1. This thread is a pre-reset hold over that is thoroughly obsolete. I even included it in a list to be unstickied, but it never was a long time ago, so that the VP could replace it with one open for both houses.

2. Because of Number 1, This thread only pertains to the Senate and therefore I have generally not kept up with it from a House perspective.

Please don't pontificate about waiting for a response in a dead thread without even PMing anyone in a position to give you an answer, or even posting it in the debate threads where people would actively see it and respond. As many are aware Scott has been going through some difficult times lately, therefore he probably hasn't been keeping up with this thread most likely and therefore the lack of response.

But to answer the question, there is nothing that stops us from debating bills simultaneously. We did it with Healthcare and the Budget Process and Control Act. It is perfect for dealing with emergency situations where it is time sensitive and we don't have time to wait for both Houses to act in serial fashion. It also works good for bills that are big projects as well since it gets all the issues blocking a majority from being achieved out in the open in both houses, they can be addressed and passage achieved in a timely fashion. This enabled healthcare to succeed compared to the Right to Life Act a year prior, which kept getting bounced back and forth and ultimately died.

The only requirement is that final bill has to pass both houses, and the vice President is the arbiter of that and making sure that the bill text (contained only within the inner quote box, since the out box contains chamber specific material like House/Senate bill, and vote links etc), is the same one that passed both chambers before being passed to the President for a signature or veto.

All amendments are tracked in each chamber. And Scott and I frequently communicate about bills that present in both chambers simultaneously. Often times we are sponsors in each house for said bills like with Healthcare, Budget Process and Control and finally, the FRR. The War declaration was the only one that wasn't like that and that is because Truman wrote the bulk of it, instead of me.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #102 on: October 10, 2017, 10:30:23 PM »

Thanks for the explanation.

I disagree that the thread is obsolete. The title could be changed to Senate and House or Nyman general discussion. The question involved the Senate so it was the right place to ask.

The question was not directed at one individual. Anybody could have replied with the information (white house, senators, house members, Cabinet) and it's better to do it in public rather than pm so everyone can learn how things work.

This thread is to favor citizen participation. It would be a mistake to remove it since public participation is already low. I don't know if it's too much to ask for some federal officeholders to check this thread from time to time to see citizens comments, concerns and questions.   
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #103 on: October 14, 2017, 11:28:22 PM »

I disagree that the thread is obsolete. The title could be changed to Senate and House or Nyman general discussion. The question involved the Senate so it was the right place to ask.

The question was not directed at one individual. Anybody could have replied with the information (white house, senators, house members, Cabinet) and it's better to do it in public rather than pm so everyone can learn how things work.

This thread is to favor citizen participation. It would be a mistake to remove it since public participation is already low. I don't know if it's too much to ask for some federal officeholders to check this thread from time to time to see citizens comments, concerns and questions.   

I didn't say remove it, I said remove and replace with one for both houses. Tongue Please come down off your high horse long enough to read what I said, and not what you want to think I said.

Creating a new thread would also draw attention to the fact that it has been updated and therefore people should pay attention to it.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #104 on: October 14, 2017, 11:35:54 PM »

I didn't say remove it, I said remove and replace with one for both houses. Tongue Please come down off your high horse long enough to read what I said, and not what you want to think I said.

Creating a new thread would also draw attention to the fact that it has been updated and therefore people should pay attention to it.

I have created just such a thread. Smiley
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies