General Senate Discussion (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:00:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  General Senate Discussion (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: General Senate Discussion  (Read 18840 times)
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« on: October 12, 2016, 03:15:40 PM »

On the Official language act, my opinion is English should be the official language for laws, elections and federal departments. All official government operations should be in English. All Atlasians don't have English as first language but if we want the game to function we need to use a common language.
While I understand where you're coming from, I think that would only be worth implementing should we start to have a problem with it. English is the de facto official language for Government.
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2016, 03:46:38 PM »

Since I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post directly into the bill discussion thread, I'm posting here to pester you guys on updating the constitution to allow proper regulation of ballots. Right now as per the SC ruling, very few regulations are not allowed and certainly not the update within the Ballot Integrity Act being discussed.

If you guys don't do this, you're encouraging another chaotic election. The last thing Atlasia needs is another contested election that goes to the Supreme Court.

So again I propose my amendment, which should cover all the necessary regulations (which would have to be passed by Congress/states)

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=208051.msg5404124#msg5404124
I have introduced the bill to the Senate. Smiley
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2017, 08:14:35 PM »

There was a constitutional amendment passed by the House on language during voting:
You must be logged in to read this quote.

While personally I don't see why someone would go to the trouble of changing language of ballot and find it more trouble than fun, I oppose this amendment. For some voting in another language is fun or creative and want to be able to do it. It seems people don't want boringness impose on them. We need citizens to vote and accept their creativity so they have fun participating.

I also don't know if it is applicable. If a candidate has a letter like é or ä in his name it could be ruled as not English.
It's an interesting point that you make and there should maybe have been some more clarity in the bill to determine what constituted "an English language ballot". Some names change in different languages, some don't and typing errors could effectively make the vote a different language depending on the word (such as "bleu" instead of "blue"):

For example, with my username in different Latin script languages:
English = Clyde1998
French = Clyde1998
German = Clyde1998
Italian = Clyde1998
Spanish = Clyde1998
Gaelic = Chluaidh1998 (technically only translates if you put "Clyde 1998" Tongue)

Although, if I took North Carolina Yankee:
English = North Carolina Yankee
French = Caroline du Nord Yankee
German = Nordkarolinische Yankee
Italian = Carolina del Nord Yankee
Spanish = Carolina del Norte Yankee
Gaelic = Carolina a Tuath Yankee

The question really should be: can the name be easily identified? The amendment was made after a vote was made in a non-Latin script language that everyone was forced to translate to identify what it was.  I could, personally, work out that if someone had voted using the name "Nordkarolinische Yankee" that it's probably a vote for North Carolina Yankee.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies