295.000 jobs created in February, unemployment rate down to 5.5%
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:55:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  295.000 jobs created in February, unemployment rate down to 5.5%
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: 295.000 jobs created in February, unemployment rate down to 5.5%  (Read 5315 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 06, 2015, 10:09:40 AM »

WASHINGTON (MarketWatch) — The U.S. economy churned out a robust 295,000 jobs in February, reducing the nation’s unemployment rate to the lowest level in almost seven years and extending the best stretch of job creation since the mid-1990s.

The latest employment report offers more proof the economy is likely to continue to chug along in the wake of the biggest spurt of hiring since the Clinton era. Many economists think the U.S. might achieve 3% annual growth in 2015 for the first time in a decade.

“The U.S. labor market is on fire,” said Neil Dutta, head of economics at Renaissance Macro Research.

The unemployment rate fell to 5.5% from 5.7%, marking the lowest level since May 2008 in the early stages of the Great Recession.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/economy-gains-295000-jobs-in-february-2015-03-06
Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2015, 10:28:37 AM »

Obama has decided to grace us with another bounty of jobs. We need to repeal the 22nd Amendment and let him run for the third term he deserves.
Boston Bread
New Canadaland
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2015, 10:36:20 AM »

OMG Government jobs are out of control!!!
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2015, 11:04:27 AM »

The deluge is coming.
Brewer
BrewerPaul

Political Matrix
E: -6.90, S: -6.17

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2015, 12:30:06 PM »

Excellent news!
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2015, 01:44:54 PM »
« Edited: March 06, 2015, 01:49:55 PM by Clarko95 »

Though there is still much, much work to do in terms of wages and underemployment, we thank President Obama for the 11,939,000 jobs he has graciously bestowed upon us since February of 2010.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2015, 03:02:47 PM »

Some say we will surely be crushed under this avalanche of jobs.  Thanks, Obummer.  [/foxnews]

Thanks,Obama
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2015, 03:04:58 PM »

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-31768388

"Employment in mining was down over the month"

Why, Obama?  Why do you hate the hard-workin' God-fearin' white man of Appalachia.  Why? 
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2015, 03:10:20 PM »

I wish.  I had to waste four hours at the Social Security office waiting for my number to be called to then spend ten minutes dealing with the issue I went there for.  And going to the Strom Thurmond building is not pleasant at all.  With the heightened security at courthouses these days, they really need to pull all the stuff that doesn't need it out of that building, but then it would be half empty.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2015, 04:57:59 PM »

I wish.  I had to waste four hours at the Social Security office waiting for my number to be called to then spend ten minutes dealing with the issue I went there for.  And going to the Strom Thurmond building is not pleasant at all.  With the heightened security at courthouses these days, they really need to pull all the stuff that doesn't need it out of that building, but then it would be half empty.

That's what you get when you vote for "small government conservatives".
Panda Express

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2015, 05:04:48 PM »

Who cares? The important thing is why won't he sign the Keystone Pipeline bill??
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2015, 05:08:24 PM »

Exactly.  Not sure where the hate for government employment comes from in that crowd, but I think it has to do with this overall sense that any work done not-for-profit is inherently pitiful combined with their general hate for the lower middle class. 
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2015, 05:46:02 PM »

Who cares? The important thing is why won't he sign the Keystone Pipeline bill??

We could have created 295,035 jobs!!! this is all barry soetoro's fault Angry
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2015, 06:38:15 PM »
« Edited: March 06, 2015, 06:40:51 PM by True Federalist »

I wish.  I had to waste four hours at the Social Security office waiting for my number to be called to then spend ten minutes dealing with the issue I went there for.  And going to the Strom Thurmond building is not pleasant at all.  With the heightened security at courthouses these days, they really need to pull all the stuff that doesn't need it out of that building, but then it would be half empty.

No, it's what you get when you vote for dumb small government reactionaries.   A true conservative would cut the size of government by cutting programs, not by forcing programs to run with too few employees.  I'll be having to go the DMV this month to renew my driver's license, and I expect to be in and out in under half an hour, maybe even in under ten minutes if I get lucky.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2015, 04:04:40 AM »

No, it's what you get when you vote for dumb small government reactionaries.   A true conservative would cut the size of government by cutting programs, not by forcing programs to run with too few employees.  I'll be having to go the DMV this month to renew my driver's license, and I expect to be in and out in under half an hour, maybe even in under ten minutes if I get lucky.

Yes, I'm aware that those who call themselves "conservatives" in the US are in fact dumb reactionaries. Hence the scare quotes.
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2015, 09:02:07 AM »

No, it's what you get when you vote for dumb small government reactionaries.   A true conservative would cut the size of government by cutting programs, not by forcing programs to run with too few employees.  I'll be having to go the DMV this month to renew my driver's license, and I expect to be in and out in under half an hour, maybe even in under ten minutes if I get lucky.

They're not dumb. They are the only people looking at the price tag. Liberals are genuinely clueless about how much money they spend. It's like watching a bejeweled it-girl max out the credit card every month, and the spout vitriol at the first person who tells her to get a job and get her spending under control.

Who wouldn't fantasize about outlawing credit cards? The number of liberals who remain in this modern era of excess is a tribute to the power of human ignorance.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2015, 10:32:59 AM »

They're not dumb. They are the only people looking at the price tag. Liberals are genuinely clueless about how much money they spend. It's like watching a bejeweled it-girl max out the credit card every month, and the spout vitriol at the first person who tells her to get a job and get her spending under control.

Who wouldn't fantasize about outlawing credit cards? The number of liberals who remain in this modern era of excess is a tribute to the power of human ignorance.
When you cut expenses not by selling off stuff you don't want any more but putting it out on your lawn to rust in the rain for all to see, you're dumb.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2015, 10:34:24 AM »
« Edited: March 07, 2015, 10:37:17 AM by HockeyDude »

No, it's what you get when you vote for dumb small government reactionaries.   A true conservative would cut the size of government by cutting programs, not by forcing programs to run with too few employees.  I'll be having to go the DMV this month to renew my driver's license, and I expect to be in and out in under half an hour, maybe even in under ten minutes if I get lucky.

You're such a hack.

A spike after the Recovery Act that has leveled off to pre-recession levels.  

Oh, are you talking about individual people?  You are saying that you are privy to information that shows LIBERALS are the ones that max out their credit cards and piss all their money away?  There's no way you can even know this, so it discredits you even more than you already have done to yourself in your glorious Atlas posting history.  Hell, I'll just stick with that, and not even mention that how bad the housing and credit crisis hit the notoriously conservative suburbs and exurbs. 
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2015, 12:07:06 PM »

You're such a hack.

Oh, are you talking about individual people?  You are saying that you are privy to information that shows LIBERALS are the ones that max out their credit cards and piss all their money away?  There's no way you can even know this, so it discredits you even more than you already have done to yourself in your glorious Atlas posting history.  Hell, I'll just stick with that, and not even mention that how bad the housing and credit crisis hit the notoriously conservative suburbs and exurbs. 

We're talking about the cost of individual programs, not total federal spending as a function of GDP.

Furthermore, I've explained why federal spending as a function of GDP is not an accurate representation of what the government actually does. Do you remember why? or are you just hacking around because you don't like the public spending data, when it's broken down per capita or per beneficiary?
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2015, 12:19:58 PM »
« Edited: March 07, 2015, 01:37:11 PM by AggregateDemand »

When you cut expenses not by selling off stuff you don't want any more but putting it out on your lawn to rust in the rain for all to see, you're dumb.

The government is taxing steel and subsidizing rust. I'm not sure how you've led yourself to believe this is actually a conservative conspiracy, but you're not unlike 50% of the country. These people are the epicenter of our problems.

When you blame the symptoms (rabid conservatism) for the disease (government avarice, largesse, and excess), you're dumb. If people want conservatives to go away, stop failing spectacularly.

We generate similar per capita revenue to other OECD nations. We throw it away on frivolous end-of-life medical procedures and welfare for seniors who are already economically and socially secure. It will never be okay, whether conservatives exist or not so quite bleating like a lost child.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2015, 12:40:52 PM »
« Edited: March 07, 2015, 12:42:40 PM by HockeyDude »

You're such a hack.

Oh, are you talking about individual people?  You are saying that you are privy to information that shows LIBERALS are the ones that max out their credit cards and piss all their money away?  There's no way you can even know this, so it discredits you even more than you already have done to yourself in your glorious Atlas posting history.  Hell, I'll just stick with that, and not even mention that how bad the housing and credit crisis hit the notoriously conservative suburbs and exurbs.  

We're talking about the cost of individual programs, not total federal spending as a function of GDP.

Furthermore, I've explained why federal spending as a function of GDP is not an accurate representation of what the government actually does. Do you remember why? or are you just hacking around because you don't like the public spending data, when it's broken down per capita or per beneficiary?

No.  Break it down for me, genius.  Cause all I see is a piss-ant hack crying because your stupid economic philosophy never works so you have to cherry pick. 
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2015, 12:48:11 PM »

Like, what is your argument here?  You want understaffed government offices because only you conservatives understand how harmful it is to pay people to do a job?  Us liberals always paying people like some shopaholic teen girl!  Yes, you dislike the working class and are appalled at the idea paying taxes to support these parasites.  We get it. 
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2015, 02:08:02 PM »

Like, what is your argument here?  You want understaffed government offices because only you conservatives understand how harmful it is to pay people to do a job?  Us liberals always paying people like some shopaholic teen girl!  Yes, you dislike the working class and are appalled at the idea paying taxes to support these parasites.  We get it. 

This merely highlights how little you know and understand about federal spending. Conservatives actually pay government workers via DOD and VA, which account for about 65% of all government employees.

SSA and HHS have about 200,000 employees, yet they command about 250% more federal funds. Your political party hires 200,000 people to cut $1.9T in checks to American citizens, regardless of their needs or the economic benefit of the disbursed funds, except a small portion of Medicaid set aside for the poor. But please continue fantasizing about a 20% bump in the employee roll call.

American liberals are just a listless herd of relatively-wealthy, uneducated Americans, who argue with another group of wealthy Americans about who is poorer. Naturally, the results are less than stellar.

BTW, I'm not a conservative. I'm just someone who sees the world for what it is.
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2015, 08:32:45 PM »

Congratulations on a series of fast-food jobs covering the declining standard of living you don't intend to raise, Mr. President.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2015, 11:14:20 PM »

Gosh, that could have created the same amount of permanent jobs as were created in 15 minutes of the 160 work hours last month.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies