2016 Election Game: Campaign Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:24:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  2016 Election Game: Campaign Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11
Author Topic: 2016 Election Game: Campaign Thread  (Read 36444 times)
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: March 22, 2015, 02:27:43 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Secretary Kerry where did you learn to do Math? If you combine the average of what all the states that have a minimum wage do, cut that in half, and chain it to increases in inflation, I guarantee that you will higher minimum wage then what the Federal minimum wage is now. As for your proposal, of course I would sign it, simply because we need a raise, plain and simple.
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #151 on: March 22, 2015, 02:34:35 PM »

Secretary Kerry where did you learn to do Math? If you combine the average of what all the states that have a minimum wage do, cut that in half, and chain it to increases in inflation, I guarantee that you will higher minimum wage then what the Federal minimum wage is now. As for your proposal, of course I would sign it, simply because we need a raise, plain and simple.

"Mrs. Clinton, let me quote Senator Ed Markey here: 'It's basic arithmetic'. Finding an average doesn't involve dividing the summation in half, it involves dividing it by the number of individual numbers added."
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #152 on: March 22, 2015, 03:24:01 PM »

Rand Paul Debate Responses:

1. At present the fight against ISIS is being misunderstood. Boots on the ground isn't going to work. Dropping more bombs isn't going to work. And I can tell you right now that giving them jobs isn't going to work either. A strong America begins at home, and to prevent an ISIS inspired attack on our shores, I suggest we secure our own border, end the drone campaign that is killing hundreds of Iraqi civilians and feeding ISIS propaganda, and most importantly, do not risk our own men and women. We need to focus on containing ISIS, which is lot easier than doing the impossible mission of destroying them.

2. We need a two state solution. Benjamin Netanyahu isn't interested in a two state solution, and President Obama sure as hell isn't interested in even listening to Benjamin Netanyahu. As President, I will work harder to bring an end to Israel's divisive settlement policy and instead encourage constructive dialogue between the two nations. It might be bitter medicine for Netanyahu to swallow, but if he wants peace, he ought to at least come to the table.

3. If the states want to raise the minimum wage, let them! But the federal minimum wage is a costly cancer on our economy that forces the hands of several states. Each state should be able to set a minimum wage that their economy can sustain. I personally support, on a state level, the minimum wage being raised to ten dollars an hour. But I will not dictate from the White House what Arkansas can do and what California can't do.

4. No! No! No! President Obama has shown a clear disregard for the constitution and the rule of law by signing that dreadful order. On day one, I will repeal it, and will work with Congress to propose an immigration reform package that allows for more immigrants to legally come and work in the United States while making sure that those already here illegally will never, ever, become citizens!

5. Party unity is important, and everyone on this stage would make a fine running mate or cabinet secretary. In particular, I like Governor Walker's aggressive stance against the control of his state by the corrupt labor authorities, and I think he'd make a fine Secretary of Labor. But we cannot be cannibalizing each other like the Democrats are. I have run a positive campaign, because frankly, I don't want to end up like Hillary Clinton on the Democratic side of the campaign. The Democrats are bleeding votes, and the Republicans ought to smell the blood in the water and try and win over those votes with a positive message about how we intend to make America into America once again!
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #153 on: March 22, 2015, 03:29:08 PM »
« Edited: March 22, 2015, 03:37:34 PM by Maxwell »

Jerry Brown Debate Reponses

What will you do as president to combat ISIS and other terrorist groups? Do you agree with how the Obama administration has handled this issue?

In recent years, relations between the US and Israel have become more strained. What would you do to improve relations and also resolve the dispute between the Israelis and the Palestinians?

Voters overwhelmingly favor an increase in the minimum wage, and multiple states have taken action on this. Do you favor increasing the minimum wage, and if so, by how much?

Do you agree with President Obama's executive order last year on immigration? What is your plan to reform the country's immigration system?

To Secretary Kerry

Out of all the other people on this stage, who would you most want to have in your Cabinet, and for what position?

Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #154 on: March 22, 2015, 03:42:35 PM »

My schedule will arrive tomorrow.
Türkisblau
H_Wallace
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #155 on: March 22, 2015, 08:35:21 PM »

Could we get a 24 hour extension? I've been very busy this weekend.
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #156 on: March 22, 2015, 08:41:27 PM »

Could we get a 24 hour extension? I've been very busy this weekend.

Yeah, that's fine. This turn will now end on Thursday.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #157 on: March 23, 2015, 07:35:11 PM »

Jerry Brown for President - October 22nd - 28th

"I will talk about all of the issues of this campaign, but I will continue to discuss, in detail, the most important one that faces this country, and that is the absolute control of special interests and the wealthy on this government. They are straggling democracy, and my friends, America's face is blue. We need real campaign finance reform and we need it before we can talk about these other issues, because if we're being honest, those other issues aren't really going to be solved. Special interests are going to put their best effort to defeat those who want change, and forever we will get piecemeal reforms. Whether it is changing our prison system, growing the piece of the pie for middle class Americans, or even healthcare, which I give credit to the President for trying his hardest. But you and I both know Obamacare isn't going to solve the whole thing, which is why we must change the way our democracy works so we can get the full healthcare reform we need!"

Schedule
October 22nd, 2015 - Barnstorming in Southwestern Iowa
October 23rd, 2015 - Barnstorming in Southwestern Iowa
October 24th, 2015 - Barnstorming in Central Iowa
October 25th, 2015 - Barnstorming in Central Iowa
October 26th, 2015 - Debate
October 27th, 2015 - Gubernatorial Duties
October 28th, 2015 - Barnstorming in Northwestern Iowa

Major Events
- Opening up new campaign offices in Southwestern, Central, and Northwestern Iowa
- Received major endorsements from NAACP President of South Carolina Lonnie Randolph, Former Senator Russ Feingold, Senator Angus King, and South Carolina ACLU director Victoria Middleton.
- Released position papers on the economy.
- Had an AMA on reddit
- Did an interview on Fox News
- Met with Iowa Democrats in the Iowa State House and Senate
- Organized resources for a new ad next turn.
- Pushed leaflets in Iowa, New Hampshire, and South Carolina

Fox News Appearance

"Neal, my economic platform is growing the middle class, lifting the poor out of poverty, and lowering the burden on everyone. I plan a reduction of taxes, even the wealthy will get a small bump, but with a reduction of inefficient subsidies, corporate loopholes and carveouts, and a complete overhaul of the language that no longer applies. A Jerry Brown tax code will be much shorter than the one that is currently in place, I can tell you that much."

"This is an area where we will disagree Neal, because I am not a conservative. I don't want to reduces taxes because I believe it will magically stimulate the economy. That's where my stimulus package (which will grow infrastructure and education spending) and a hike of the minimum wage comes in. However, I think we can more effectively tax people via a lower rate. I subscribe somewhat to the idea that we can actually get more revenue from lower taxes to a certain extent, the Laffer Curve if you will, but I also believe working families deserve as much of a break as we can give them."

"Neal, this is common sense. We need to change the way our prison system works. It's a system that ruthlessly attacks poor minorities, and I believe it is no longer acceptable in our modern society. What we need to do turn the focus for first time offenders from punishment to rehabilitation. I know those programs have worked. I like some of the European models, and it'll be something I'll explore as President. As for sentencing, we need something of a massive change there, and it's something I agree with Senator Rand Paul on, and I hope to work with some of the GOPers who have been in favor of that in the future."
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #158 on: March 24, 2015, 10:49:13 PM »

Just a reminder that everybody has about a day left to get their posts in.
rpryor03
Bahamas

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #159 on: March 25, 2015, 08:00:53 AM »

Kasich Debate Answers

1. What will you do as president to combat ISIS and other terrorist groups? Do you agree with how the Obama administration has handled this issue?

2. In recent years, relations between the US and Israel have become more strained. What would you do to improve relations and also resolve the dispute between the Israelis and the Palestinians?

3. Voters overwhelmingly favor an increase in the minimum wage, and multiple states have taken action on this. Do you favor increasing the minimum wage, and if so, by how much?

4. Do you agree with President Obama's executive order last year on immigration? What is your plan to reform the country's immigration system?

5. Out of all the other people on this stage, who would you most want to have in your Cabinet, and for what position?

MadmanMotley
Bmotley
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.29, S: -5.91

P
« Reply #160 on: March 25, 2015, 03:16:24 PM »

Dan Quayle Debate Responses

1. What will you do as president to combat ISIS and other terrorist groups? Do you agree with how the Obama administration has handled this issue?

Over the past eight years, this President has failed at containing terrorism, what we must do is take action! If ISIS wants a war they'll get one, because they have continually fought against democratically elected governments, killed American citizens, this is an utter outrage that the president has failed to do anything! These people are desperately calling out for our help against this persecution. We must have peace through strength, and peace through strength and unity with our allies.

What we must do is first get the support of congress, with appropriating military might against ISIS, and then allying ourselves with other nations affected by ISIS. We will first escalate the drone strikes against ISIS, then weaken them with air and naval attacks. Only once we have provided a weak enemy can we even think about committing ground forces. This is a strategy that will eliminate ISIS, and promote democracy.

2. In recent years, relations between the US and Israel have become more strained. What would you do to improve relations and also resolve the dispute between the Israelis and the Palestinians?

Ultimately I am on the side of Israel, but we do have to take into account the thoughts of the Palestinians. What we need to do is arbitrate, not dictate, bring the two sides to the table and talk things over, that should be our first step, and work from there. I will work to continue Israel's sovereignty in the middle east, as they are one of our greatest allies. I will also work to solidify agreements by proposing trade and defense treaties with Israel.

3. Voters overwhelmingly favor an increase in the minimum wage, and multiple states have taken action on this. Do you favor increasing the minimum wage, and if so, by how much?

Ultimately, I am against a high federal minimum wage, as I believe it is the states' prerogative to compete with each other economically. This competition creates what is most needed, job creation and growth. The states should be at the center of this as well due to different costs of living in different states. A broad sweeping motion for over 300 million people would be an overstep of the federal government. Thus it should be states that decide the minimum wage, and I will veto any national minimum wage increases that do not directly correlate to inflation.

4. Do you agree with President Obama's executive order last year on immigration? What is your plan to reform the country's immigration system?

Two words: Absolutely not. This was a massive overstep of the executive branch, regardless of the effects. We have separation of powers here in the United States, and as president I will abide by the Constitution by not issuing sweeping executive orders such as this monstrosity!

Now my plan for immigration is increasing border security, and making bridges to citizenship, work visas, but we have to also enforce the laws that we have, rather than ignoring them. We should also eliminate reasons to illegally come here, crack down on employers hiring illegals, and eliminate benefits for illegal immigrants. And while the congress works on this, I will ENFORCE the laws that we have, rather than waving a blind eye to this problem.

5. Out of all the other people on this stage, who would you most want to have in your Cabinet, and for what position?

Personally, I like all of these men up here on stage, but I'm not going to offer anyone a cabinet position because I'm pretty sure that's illegal (chuckle). Now everyone up here represents the party, and I believe that all factions of the party should be represented in a cabinet. However since many up here are Senators, and we have a slim majority there, they should stay where they are, doing the good work in the Senate. Ultimately I would love to see Scott Walker or John Kasich in my Cabinet, either as Secretary of Commerce or Labor, they've done great jobs in improving their states for job creation.

My Own Question:

Now I'd like to pose my own question to my colleagues on the stage, what experience do you have that you believe will transpose into the highest office in the land? What major legislation have you passed? What are your qualifications for the highest office in the land?
MadmanMotley
Bmotley
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #161 on: March 25, 2015, 03:34:26 PM »

Dan Quayle Surrogates:

Today I endorse the only person who can lead this party to victory, the man who endorses conservative principles, and can unite the party and the nation after eight years of hard times, the man with the experience and the conviction to be president, Dan Quayle!
Fmr. Gov. Mitt Romney (2012 Nominee): Barnstorming New Hampshire

Dan Quayle is a Republican through and through, he is a consensus builder, and knows what it takes to lead this country through good times and bad, and I trust him in times of crisis. He is the man who needs no on the job training. He is the man we need in the White House!
Gov. Larry Hogan: Barnstorming New Hampshire

There is one candidate that you can trust to get Americans working again, and bring back American jobs. That candidate is Dan Quayle, he has the credentials, the conviction, and the character to be president. He's the man you can trust.
Gov. Rick Snyder: Barnstorming Iowa

The presidency is a big job, not something you want to put on just anyone, you need someone with experience, someone you know is capable, and someone who can win the presidency. That person is Dan Quayle, we don't need someone who needs on the job training, we've had that for the past 7 years!
Gov. Charlie Baker: Barnstorming New Hampshire

Fmr. Governor Mitch Daniels: Barnstorming Iowa
Governor Mike Pence: Barnstorming Iowa
Senator Dan Coats: Meeting with Donors
Fmr. Senator Dick Lugar: Made Finance Chair, meeting with donors
Fmr. Congressman Ben Quayle: Barnstorming Nevada

Jim Conroy (Charlie Baker's Campaign Manager) appointed national campaign manager
rpryor03
Bahamas

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #162 on: March 25, 2015, 03:41:28 PM »

Well, VP Quayle, I served as Chairman of the House Budget Committee from 1995 to 2001. During that time, I was the main architect of the Balanced Budget of 1997, which saw our Budget go from a deficit of -$163 billion to a surplus of $236 billion. As Governor of Ohio, I have fully eliminated our budget deficit, as well as lower our unemployment rate.

Kasich Schedule

2 Days: Barnstorm in IA (With Tom Emmer, Aaron Schock, Larry Pressler, and John Kline)
2 Days: Barnstorm in NH (With Scott Brown)
2 Days: Barnstorm in SC (With Ed Gillespie)
1 Day: Barnstorm in FL (With Ileana Ros-Lehtinen, Ed Gillespie, and Pete Dominici)
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #163 on: March 25, 2015, 04:04:01 PM »
« Edited: March 25, 2015, 06:44:20 PM by SJoyce »

McRaven Debate Answers

There is no one answer for 'stopping terror' - Lord knows we've been fighting a war on it for a decade and a half now. What Obama's been doing is giving some support to the Kurds, pressing for political reforms in Baghdad, and launching some airstrikes - and he's right, those are necessary things to do to stop ISIS - but it's not enough. They've got support of Sunni tribal leaders and the Sunni people who have been treated brutally by the Shi'a government of Iraq, and we need a way to counteract that. Some candidates have called for 'boots on the ground', and I think they're correct, just not our boots. We need strong leadership in Iraq, bolstered by the political and financial leadership of nations like Egypt and Saudi Arabia - maybe even Iran and Turkey - to defeat ISIS. We can't go in and beat them ourselves, we need local and regional partners to do that. We should offer our financial and political backing to those nations that will help rebuild Iraq and Syria, organize a diplomatic partnership to engage with all regional powers. We have highly skilled special operations forces who are capable of targeting high-level ISIS organizers - once we take out their leadership and heavy equipment, then we can turn to Turkey or the Free Syrian Army or Sunni tribes, but above all we should prepare now for nation-building. When candidates are up here talking about how they'll fight ISIS, that's great - then what? For my part, possibly something modeled off of the reconstruction of the former Yugoslavia in Iraq and Syria would be a functional plan, working with all our partners - the UN, the Arab League, the EU, NATO - to create a new order in the region, in order to prevent any new ISISes from emerging.

Israel and the United States have a long, deep friendship. But at this point, we seem to be reaching a point where the values on which we built that friendship have diverged. The goal of the United States in the region is to enable the creation of the sovereign state to which the Palestinian Arabs are entitled, just as the Jewish people are. Some basic values of the United States are tolerance and private property, and yet Israel continues to build settlements on Palestinian land, and Netanyahu himself attempted to scare voters to the polls by suggesting that members of a minority group would be voting. That's not something we can accept here in America, and we need to stop enabling this kind of behavior. I'm shocked and disturbed that Secretary Clinton - someone we put in charge of our diplomacy! - thinks that the Palestinians want to destroy the State of Israel. You'd think that somebody with her level of experience would know enough not to repeat statements that are blatantly false. A redoubled commitment to American negotiations with the explicit end goal of establishing some sort of (demilitarized) Palestinian state - working with Israeli and Palestinian moderates - should get that message across.

Yes, absolutely. Empirical work from - I think it was David Card - showed that it doesn't reduce employment, and some other studies have actually show that job creation was faster in states that raised their minimum wage, and obviously it'll help reduce poverty and income inequality. I'm sure Congress will have their own opinions on the matter, but a raise to $10 or $11 per hour isn't something I'd object to - do that, and then index it to inflation.

I do - estimates show that the majority of undocumented immigrants in this country right now are working, and I think the White House estimates that letting them do so legally and openly, and so collecting tax revenues from them and allowing them to take better jobs they may have the skill sets for, will increase GDP by almost a full percentage point over the next decade. These people are making more money, which then creates more demand and so more jobs. Having more immigrants come to the United States creates new possibility for production, more demand for goods and services, and some reports suggest it actually raises wages across the economy. I support Congressional action to make that more official - if people see a Congressional law that'll be very hard to change, those immigrants here now who know they're going to be able to stay here will work harder to integrate into our society. There's no point in, for example, learning English if you're just going to be deported and stuck with that useless skill. Giving these people - not full naturalization, but at least work permits - and the ability to be secure in their positions gives them an incentive to invest in themselves, which yields economic benefits for us all.

John Kerry's doing a pretty decent job right now as Secretary of State. I don't know how much he enjoys the job, given that he's actively job-hunting right now, but hey, if he wants the job...

Well, before I was named commander of the US Special Ops Command, Osama bin Laden was alive. And by the time I retired, as a result of an operation I organized and executed, he was not. I have lengthy experience in leading our military and helped establish the low-intensity conflict curriculum at the Naval Postgraduate School. I wrote the book on the sorts of conflicts our nation faces. Additionally, as director of the NATO Special Operations Forces Coordination Centre, I developed good working relationships with our major allies, while as director for Strategic Planning for the Office of Combating Terrorism I worked on coordinating the operations of several different parts of our government. I have extensive experience in government, in cooperating with foreign nations, and in leadership, and I hope to use that leadership to guide this nation to a better future.

Admiral McRaven will spend the week in the Columbia and Des Moines areas.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #164 on: March 25, 2015, 05:09:59 PM »

Schedule for Hillary Clinton;

October 21-24 Barnstorm in iowa

October 25-26 Fundraisers, Barnstorm in Nevada

October 27 Barnstorm in New Hampshire

October 28 Fundraisers in New Jersey, Attend Hurricane Sandy commemoration in Tottenville, Staten Island,NYC.
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #165 on: March 25, 2015, 08:56:21 PM »

Kerry Surrogate Schedule
Congressman Joe Kennedy III will be fundraising in Massachusetts
Senator Ed Markey will be campaigning in New Hampshire.
Senator Jeanne Shaheen will be campaigning in New Hampshire.
Former Senator Paul G. Kirk will be fundraising in Massachusetts.
Former Senator Mo Cowan will be campaigning in New Hampshire.

Governor Maggie Hassan will be campaigning in New Hampshire.
Former Governor John Lynch will be campaigning in New Hampshire.
Former Governor Deval Patrick will be campaigning in New Hampshire and Iowa.
Former Governor Michael Dukakis will be campaigning in New Hampshire and Iowa.
Ambassador Caroline Kennedy will be fundraising in New York and Massachusetts.
Mrs. Maria Shriver will be fundraising in California and New York.
Mrs. Jean Kennedy Smith will be fundraising in California and New York.

Italics indicates new endorsement.
MadmanMotley
Bmotley
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #166 on: March 25, 2015, 09:01:39 PM »
« Edited: March 27, 2015, 11:25:51 PM by Lieutenant-Governor MadmanMotley »

Dan Quayle Campaign Schedule:

Oct. 21-28: Same Schedule: Iowa
Organize Volunteers/Campaign team 8-12
Door-to-door barnstorming 1-5
Meet and Greets in small town halls 6-9

We need a candidate for the people, someone who understands small town America! I grew up in a small town called Huntington, Indiana, a rural community, and I worked for people like you when I was in the Senate, and I understand the needs of farmers, I understand the need for small businesses, and I know what it takes to represent you, the life-blood of America!

TV Ad to run in the following states:

What is required of a President? Experience, conviction, and values, the ability to unite the people. But how can you bring people together when you've not even completed a term in office? When you've not had to make the tough decisions?

We need someone who's been there.

We need someone with experience, who can unite the party.

We've had seven years of someone who needed on the job training

We need someone who can lead, who knows what needs to be done.

So vote for the man who's been there.

Vote Dan Quayle.

Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #167 on: March 25, 2015, 11:00:58 PM »

Ted Cruz Announcement
"My friends, we've accomplished so much in just the few short weeks we've been in the race. What began as a small campaign has blossomed into a full grassroots machine that's vaulted us to the top of the polls and consciousness of the American people. But I'm sad to announce that I must withdraw from the race for President because my father has been diagnosed with cancer. I shall endorse the only true and proven conservative, my colleague Senator Rand Paul. For me this campaign must come to an end. But for all those in the movement, our cause shall live.
MadmanMotley
Bmotley
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #168 on: March 25, 2015, 11:35:46 PM »

Quayle Campaign Statement:

The Quayle campaign offers condolences to the Cruz family, and would like to tell them that the Quayles' and all of our staff will be keeping your family in our prayers.
BaconBacon96
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #169 on: March 25, 2015, 11:41:02 PM »

Don't forget about me, I'm nearly ready to post.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #170 on: March 26, 2015, 12:17:20 AM »

Campaign Schedule:  October 22, 2015 - October 28, 2015

Thursday, Oct 22:  SOUTH CAROLINA
Columbia    -  Rally for "New Approaches to Job Creation" with Mayor Benjamin on steps of Columbia Municipal Building
                  - Meeting with Rep. Clyburn
                  - Town Hall at University of South Carolina on "Reforming Student Loan Debt"

Fort Sumter

Friday, Oct 23:  SOUTH CAROLINA
Fort Sumter   - "The Heritage of the Civil War - Coming Together in Bipartisanship" 
Charleston    - Rally in Historic District on "Environmental Protections of Waterways"             
                      - Dinner event with Charleston Democratic Party

Saturday, Oct 24:  SOUTH CAROLINA
Walterboro   - Rally at Tuskegee Airmen Memorial - "Civil Rights in the 21st Century - Challenges and Victories"
Aiken         - Public appearance at Aiken Farmer's Market - "Promoting Farm to Table Programs"
                      - Public appearance, Aiken Steeplechase

Sunday, Oct 25:  NEW HAMPSHIRE
Cornish       - Attend service at Trinity Church (historic anglican church)
                    - Rally in front of Woodrow Wilson's summer home on "The Promise of the League of Nations - International Relationship in the 21st Century"
Hanover     - Town Hall at Dartmouth University on "Education, Technology, and Jobs"

Monday, Oct 26: IOWA
Des Moines     - Town Hall on "Local Government in Sustainability"
Council Bluffs -  Rally at Transcontinental Railroad starting point on "Technology and Innovation in the 21st Century"
                      - Radio Appearance at Iowa Western Community College KIWR

Tuesday, Oct 27:  NEVADA
Las Vegas    - Rally in front of Children's Museum on "Changing Needs of Education"
                   - TV appearance on local TV channel - "Water Management"
Boulder City  - Rally in front of Municipal Hall on "Innovation and Water Management"

Wednesday, Oct 21: WASHINGTON, D.C.
U.S. Congress - Congressional duties

Excerpt from speech at Fort Sumter: "150 years ago, our nation came together to sign a treaty of peace, ending a war that had pitted brother against brother for over five years . . . five years of the bloodiest conflict our nation has ever seen. This is where it all started. We have made great strides since then, come together on important issues such as civil rights. But we have much to do. Just look at Congress and its refusal to work together on important issues like immigration, student debt, and health care. Neither Senator McConnell nor Speaker Boehner have provided the type of leadership that promotes a willingness to work together. And when we're not working together, we're not working. I pledge to bridge the divides that we know see - to come together to work for you."

ENDORSEMENTS:

Julian Castro, Secretary of Housing and Urban Development
"Joaquin has a deep commitment to improving the lives of people. We need a President like him!"

Stephen Benjamin, Mayor of Columbia, SC
"Joaquin is someone who not only has his heart in the right place, but also has the ability to work across the aisle and get things done for us"

Wendy Davis, TX Senator - 10th District; Former TX Gubernatorial Candidate
"As a fellow Texan, I have watched Joaquin work throughout his career, I have seen how effective he is in achieving meaningful change!

Henry Cisneros, Former Secretary of Housing and Urban Development
"We couldn't ask for a better, more committed, more effective candidate than Joaquin. I hope you will support him - we need him!"

and The Latino Coalition
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #171 on: March 26, 2015, 12:41:24 AM »

Joaquin Castro Debate Responses:

I think there are some things that we could have done differently early in this crisis, but this is where we are now so the discussion needs to be "What do we do at this point?" I will say that I find it interesting that both Secretary Clinton and Secretary Kerry have distanced themselves from President Obama's handling of events thus far given that they both were involved at various points with these foreign affairs. At this point, I support several aspects of President Obama's current handling: garnering multi-lateral support (in the case of Yemen from Britain and Saudi Arabia) and strategic strikes. But we also need to think longer-term and consider the challenges of non-governmental terrorist groups. We should also create and support our regional allies in their fight against ISIS - not just in terms of military assistance, but also in promoting economic development and other factors that contribute to terrorism. 

In any situation where there are multiple interests at stake, we need to find common goals . . . find where there is agreement and start there. Prime Minister Netanyahu has endorsed a two state solution, and with his recent apology to Israeli Arabs seems willing to work with Arabs at this point.  Let's build on that - let's use the model that President Carter and later President Clinton exemplified of bringing would-be rivals or opponents together to begin the dialogue.

The short answer is YES I favor raising the minimum wage. Not only have states raised the minimum wage, but cities and local governments have as well - anywhere between $10.10 and $15.00 . . .  and we're not seeing the dire consequences of job loss that so many have predicted. In fact, job creation is up. So, we know that this needed to help working families, we know it doesn't have the dire consequences predicted, and we know that the general public overwhelmingly favors an increase (75% on a recent survey). I favor a minimum wage of $12.50 an hour - we can do that.

I find it interesting that so many people are raising significant issues with this when no such objections were raised about President Reagan's amnesty program. It is true that Executive Orders are typically reserved for administrative issues, but there is a long legal precedent of valid Executive Orders in areas that Congress has previously acquiesced - such as this case. I think the program then - and this program now - supports hardworking US residents who pay taxes and contribute to our society and who deserve to benefit from the same legal protections the rest of us have.

There are many strengths and talents among my colleagues here on this stage - as well as many colleagues who are not on this stage, and I think we could all come together in a Castro Administration, united in our belief that working together benefits us all. If I had to pick just one, the first one that comes to mind is Senator Baldwin given her willingness to tackle difficult issues and always be on the right side of the issue. Her work in promoting health equality and basic human services would make her an ideal Secretary of Health and Human Services.

Thank you.

BaconBacon96
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #172 on: March 26, 2015, 04:49:21 AM »

Donald Trump Campaign October 22-28

Campaign Schedule

October 22
Rally in Concord, New Hampshire
Barnstorming in Concord, New Hampshire
Meet and Greet in Franklin, New Hampshire

October 23
Meet and Greet in New London, New Hampshire
Visit to St. Anselm College in Goffstown, New Hampshire
Fundraiser with donors and supporters in Manchester, New Hampshire
Flight to Iowa

October 24
Speech in Rock Rapids, Iowa
Barnstorming through Lyon County, Iowa
Meeting with Sioux County GOP
Town hall in Orange City, Iowa

October 25
Meet and Greet in Le Mars, Iowa
Meet and Greet in Sioux City, Iowa
Flight to New Hampshire

October 26
Touring local businesses in Portsmouth, New Hampshire
Meet and Greet in Atkinson, New Hampshire
Meet and Greet in Candia, New Hampshire
Visiting Seabrook Nuclear Power Station in Seabrook, New Hampshire

October 27
Rest Day

October 28
Meet and Greet in Hampton, New Hampshire
Meet and Greet in Manchester, New Hampshire

I do not think for one moment that the Obama administration has done enough to combat terrorists like ISIS. I'm glad he took the decision to launch airstrikes but we need to go further. A small amount of boots on the ground to assist the Iraqi Army isn't too much to ask. It would be much more preferable to the smattering of Iranian militias that Obama's now aligned himself with. Seriously, America's gonna regret giving Iraq to the Iranians. They'll secure Baghdad for Iran once they've dealt with ISIS and America's 12 years of work will have been to waste.

Well it's quite clear that the Palestinian terrorism is the main barrier for peace in this region. The great nation of Israel is the only true democracy in the Middle East and one of our most reliable allies. I fully support them.

This might surprise some of you but I do favor a small increase in the minimum wage. The prosperity of the average American is a huge part of my campaign and this small gesture will go a long way to helping more people get farther. Let me be clear, however, that it should be left up to the states to decide.

I think it was an outrageous abuse of power. Obama has completely failed to protect our border and it's nothing short of appalling. A little while back I got some flak for expressing my genuine belief that we should occupy northern Mexico. The border needs to be secured on both sides, to stop the flow of illegal immigrants. They should be processed inside Mexico in camps for them to stay, not after they reach the US. An intervention would not only stop the illegal immigrants, it would also stop the drug smuggling and cartel violence from spilling over our border. We must defend the homeland, properly.

There's a few people up here whom I'd consider appointing to the Cabinet. Scott Walker would be good in Commerce, Martinez in Education or Justice. Even Kasich could fit in there somewhere, they're all competent Governors.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #173 on: March 26, 2015, 06:11:40 AM »

McRaven Campaign Statement:

Though we sit on different sides of the aisle, I have nothing but respect for Senator Cruz personally. All of us here, myself included, offer our deepest condolences to Rafael Cruz on his diagnosis, and wish Senator Cruz and his family nothing but the best as they work through these undoubtably trying times.
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #174 on: March 26, 2015, 08:04:21 AM »

I've given everybody five days this turn and a lot of you haven't posted anything. That's kind of disappointing and not what I expected, but we'll move on. This next update will definitely be interesting--I hope to have it up by tonight.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies