Maine 1976
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 07:43:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Maine 1976
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Maine 1976  (Read 507 times)
Plankton5165

P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 27, 2021, 06:23:20 PM »

The Pine Tree state started splitting its electoral votes in 1972. In 1976, Ford won all of its electoral votes despite winning the state by 0.84%!
If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2021, 06:33:22 PM »

Cumberland County flipping Ford-Carter because of Anderson is always amusing, although both times it was decided by only about 2%. I think the only other Ford-Carter counties were all in the Deep South.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2021, 07:33:49 PM »

Cumberland County flipping Ford-Carter because of Anderson is always amusing, although both times it was decided by only about 2%. I think the only other Ford-Carter counties were all in the Deep South.

Washtenaw County, Michigan was also a Ford-Carter county. Ford, as is well known, got a native-son boost in Michigan, and Washtenaw County is home to the University of Michigan at Ann Arbor, from which Ford graduated.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2021, 09:03:08 PM »

Washtenaw County, Michigan was also a Ford-Carter county. Ford, as is well known, got a native-son boost in Michigan, and Washtenaw County is home to the University of Michigan at Ann Arbor, from which Ford graduated.

Washtenaw was actually a Nixon-McGovern-Ford-Carter county. Talk about a rare voting pattern! I wouldn’t be surprised if it was the only one in the country.
If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2021, 09:06:12 PM »

Washtenaw was actually a Nixon-McGovern-Ford-Carter county. Talk about a rare voting pattern! I wouldn’t be surprised if it was the only one in the country.

Both voted for Reagan, but Clay County, SD, and Pitkin County, CO, also went Nixon-McGovern-Ford.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2021, 10:27:33 PM »

Lexington, Virginia...possibly a few other college towns around there too.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2021, 10:40:28 PM »

Lexington, Virginia...possibly a few other college towns around there too.

McGovern performed well in college towns in general. His support base in many ways resembled modern Dems more than it did the Dem party broadly in the 1960s and 1970s.
E-Dawg
Guy
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2021, 11:24:14 PM »

The only other two Nixon-McGovern-Ford counties are Pitkin CO and Clay SD, which both voted for Reagan in 1980, so Washtenaw is the only one that also voted Carter
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies