GOP-dominated suburbs (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 07:22:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  GOP-dominated suburbs (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: GOP-dominated suburbs  (Read 5216 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« on: March 13, 2015, 10:49:18 PM »

Look at Edina. Textbook example there.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2015, 11:42:02 AM »

Hasn't Edina become more secular Jewish?  How has Minnetonka trended? One peculiarity about MN is that the big metro area does not seem to vote much differently in the aggregate from the balance of the state.

Edina prior to the 60s, had all sorts of discriminatory policies and country club rules aimed at keeping blacks and Jews out, this is exactly why St. Louis Park ended up with his well known Jewish population FYI. None of that matters anymore and the place has gone from the conservative country club dominated lily white enclave of its past to a pretty standard but slightly more affluent than most inner ring suburb now, but I haven't heard of any flood of any Jewish population in or anything, if anything I bet more blacks have. I mean sure Jews from SLP or southwest Minneapolis that find desirable housing there or whatever and want to move in have no real problem doing so or fear of discrimination now but it's not like there's anything drawing them there. Also worth noting that non-Jews in SLP are just as likely to be Democrats, I mean I go to chuch in SLP now. But that whole area just kind of screams "rich Democrats", the type of people who prefer to live in luxury condos or in the case of certain neighborhoods in southwest Minneapolis, real mansions, instead of the trashy newly built McMansions you'll find 15 miles west. I mean just look at this: http://www.50thandfrance.com And this is a relatively new development, Edina's current DFL state senator elected in 2012 is the first Democrat to represent Edina in the State Senate EVER.

Minnetonka has never been that Republican, but has definitely shifted Democratic, so much in fact that its DFL State Senator even survived 2010 and even after 2014 still has two DFL State Representatives. But it went from Gore winning it by about two points to Obama in 2012 winning it by 10 points. I think Minnetonka (as well as Hopkins) has also had a long standing Jewish population too though nowhere near as big as in SLP.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2015, 12:21:31 PM »

Well in 2000 Edina actually voted for Bush.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2017, 07:54:59 PM »

Alternatively: are there any suburbs that are significantly more left-wing than the urban area?

Hamilton County, OH has a few. Settlement patterns in metro Cincinnati are kind of weird, and there are some suburbs, including a few a bit far out that are heavily black and far more Democratic than Cincinnati.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2017, 11:25:03 AM »

In 2012 Obama's margin dropped to 7 points, trending Pub by about 30 basis points. Whatever Dem trend there was, has stalled. It's Dem PVI is about 1.5%.

But yes, in 2000 it had a Pub PVI of 3.5%. 2004 was the big Pub tanking in Edina (probably due to the Iraq war). It swung to a Dem PVI of 2.5% (a 6 point Dem trend). Now its back down a tad to a 1.5% Dem PVI.

Edina voted for Hillary by 27 points.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies