GOP-dominated suburbs (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:34:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  GOP-dominated suburbs (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: GOP-dominated suburbs  (Read 5175 times)
muon2
Atlas Icon

« on: March 22, 2015, 10:41:07 PM »
« edited: March 22, 2015, 10:43:26 PM by muon2 »

DKE coined the phrase "Circle of Ignorance" for Waukesha/Ozaukee/Washington counties. It's pretty much stuck and I usually use it when I talk about that area.

These counties have some of the highest educational levels in the state (along with Dane County). Its literally wrong to call them that.

I'm curious ElectionsGuy.  How would the average WOW county resident respond to the following questions?
1. Do you believe the Earth is 6000 years old?
2. Do you believe in evolution?
3. Do you believe in global warming?

I assume the answers would be No, Yes, No for a county with those demographics, but it seems oddly conservative for a wealthy suburb.....is it super religious/fundie there?

I would agree. These suburbs are no more religious than the rest of Wisconsin, and if they're (as a whole) any kind of Republican voter, they're the most informed and intelligent. The turnout rates are so high its almost unreal. Highly educated and wealthy people who are consistently conservative is something this forum doesn't want to admit. And while they would probably vote against gay marriage if it was up on a vote, they would also vote much more overwhelmingly against a tax increase. People who think these Republican counties are ignorant hellholes full of SoCons are just wrong.

They sound like the Seattle suburbs in the 80s and most of the 90s, in that case.

There are lots of suburbs of the northern cities that fit that description - middle-class to wealthy, educated, fiscally conservative, Republican. They are moderate on social issues, meaning that they are slow to change from traditional views, but not resistant when the tide is moving since it isn't social issues that define them. They have far less income inequality (eg gini coefficient) than the central city or the rural areas near them. They prefer to keep things the way they are until that way hurts their family.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies