Hispanic % by county in the U.S., (30%, 50%, and 70%+)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 11:02:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Hispanic % by county in the U.S., (30%, 50%, and 70%+)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Hispanic % by county in the U.S., (30%, 50%, and 70%+)  (Read 5641 times)
retromike22
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 20, 2015, 07:16:28 PM »
« edited: March 22, 2015, 08:36:39 PM by retromike22 »

I made this today. This is based off of the 2010 Census, so it's highly likely some counties have changed in the past 5 years.

Light blue: 30%+
Dark blue: 50%+
Purple: 70%+
retromike22
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2015, 07:27:16 PM »
« Edited: March 20, 2015, 07:39:50 PM by retromike22 »

The Southeast region. Aside from Kane County in Illinois, the Bronx in NY, and Passiac and Hudson counties in NJ, these are the only 30%+ Hispanic counties east of the Mississippi.

Florida's Hispanics are more concentrated than I would have thought, as the only 50%+ county is Miami-Dade County. Hendry County (the 30%+ county northwest of Miami-Dade county) was at 49% in 2010, and Osceola County was at 45%, so it's possible these could be at 50%+ by now.

That Georgia has a 30%+ county (Whitfield County) surprised me, and even more surprising is the fact that it's not even near a major metro city, but centered on the Northern Georgia city of Dalton.
retromike22
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2015, 07:38:17 PM »

The Great Plains region, with a few 50%+ counties in Kansas of all places. Ford County, which contains Dodge City, is one of those counties. Most of the 30%+ counties are connected to the big NM-Texas region, but there's also three random Nebraska counties.

retromike22
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2015, 07:44:39 PM »
« Edited: March 22, 2015, 08:38:16 PM by retromike22 »

The big NM-Texas region. Northern NM and southern Texas are expected, since many of these counties have been Hispanic since before the U.S. gained control. But it's that area streching from Southwestern Kansas, through the OK and Texas panhandles, going down to the Rio Grande that seems to be where the new growth is at. There's also some growth from the southern tip of Texas heading northeast towards Houston. Both Dallas County and Harris County, which hold Dallas and Houston respectively, are 30%+ Hispanic counties. Houston was expected, but Dallas County was a surprise.

And then... there's that random county in Arkansas, Sevier County.

retromike22
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2015, 07:46:24 PM »

The Northwest region. All the 30%+ counties in OR and WA are east of the Cascades. Idaho has four 30%+ counties.

retromike22
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2015, 07:49:42 PM »

Lastly, the Arizona-CA region. Nevada actually didn't have any 30%+ counties in the Census, but Clark County was at 29%, and with a growth rate of the Hispanic population of 88% since 2000, I imagine it's over 30% by now. In CA, Hispanics are concentrated much more in the Central Valley than in Southern CA with the exception of Imperial County.

MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2015, 08:20:17 PM »

Interesting maps. Thank you. I guess Hispanics in solid Republican states (TX, GA, KS, OK) are much more Republican than Hispanics in other states like NY, CA or NM.
retromike22
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2015, 08:27:48 PM »

Interesting maps. Thank you. I guess Hispanics in solid Republican states (TX, GA, KS, OK) are much more Republican than Hispanics in other states like NY, CA or NM.

Or they're not registered voters.... yet Smiley
CountyTy90
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2015, 05:48:52 PM »

The Great Plains region, with a few 50%+ counties in Kansas of all places. Ford County, which contains Dodge City, is one of those counties. Most of the 30%+ counties are connected to the big NM-Texas region, but there's also three random Nebraska counties.

I know Colfax County and Dakota County in Nebraska have large slaughter houses, which employ many Hispanics. Would assume the same for the other county in Nebraska and those in southwest Kansas.
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2015, 09:34:04 AM »

Ford, Seward, and Finney county all have large meatpacking plants in town so a very high concentration of immigrants settle there to work. Many are undocumented, which creates this strange dynamic in Kansas politics where the major meatpacking lobbies don't let the government crack down harshly on hiring undocumented workers, but where the government tries to remove their every right that isn't work.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2015, 12:15:11 PM »

I always find it more interesting to look at the VAP (ideally CVAP, but there's no county statistics about them AFAIK), in order to get closer to what the electorate actually looks like.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2015, 04:03:51 AM »

I live in Whitfield County, GA AMA
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2015, 05:20:09 PM »

Is there a meatpacking plant in your county that would explain the odd high Hispanic population?
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2015, 11:45:25 PM »

Is there a meatpacking plant in your county that would explain the odd high Hispanic population?

We produce roughly 80% of the world's carpet and a majority of the world's floorcoverings. The Latino concentration in Hall County, GA is from the chicken plants, which just barely fell short of being included on this map (Con Agra, Pilgrim's Pride, etc)...there used to be more of those here, too.
retromike22
United States

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2015, 12:50:26 AM »

We produce roughly 80% of the world's carpet and a majority of the world's floorcoverings. The Latino concentration in Hall County, GA is from the chicken plants, which just barely fell short of being included on this map (Con Agra, Pilgrim's Pride, etc)...there used to be more of those here, too.

I found an article on the Hispanic population in Dalton.

http://inamerica.blogs.cnn.com/2011/12/12/dalton-georgias-latino-face-is-changing-again/?hpt=hp_bn2
retromike22
United States

« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2015, 01:43:13 AM »

Here's the U.S. map again, but this time with 5% Hispanic population added to each county. I know, it's not a normal projection because some areas will become Hispanic at a faster rate than others, but I thought it would be interesting to see what it looks like.

If someone can make a gif of the two maps that would be great Smiley
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2015, 02:14:58 AM »

I didn't notice it came out blurry until just now (must have something to do with the dimensions of the image), but there are plenty of GIF makers online that will probably do it correctly.

retromike22
United States

« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2015, 03:40:06 AM »

Cool thanks Adam! My goodness we Hispanics are breeding like rabbits.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2015, 04:10:48 AM »

I don't think Hispanic and Latino are exactly the same. Brazilians are Latino but not Hispanic.
CountyTy90
United States

« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2015, 10:00:51 AM »
« Edited: April 25, 2015, 10:04:15 AM by CountyTy90 »

Here's the U.S. map again, but this time with 5% Hispanic population added to each county. I know, it's not a normal projection because some areas will become Hispanic at a faster rate than others, but I thought it would be interesting to see what it looks like.

I made this GIF of the Hispanic growth in Texas (wasn't as big of a hit on here as I thought it would be). I think it's pretty cool though. Thinking about doing California too.

Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2015, 11:58:29 AM »

I made this GIF of the Hispanic growth in Texas (wasn't as big of a hit on here as I thought it would be). I think it's pretty cool though. Thinking about doing California too.

That's neat! Definitely do Florida at some point! Grin
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2015, 12:32:53 PM »

FWIW, I remember seeing this (I'm not sure I replied) and thought it was great!

I also found a GIF on Google of national Hispanic population by county from 1980-2011, but it was jumpy (the frames weren't lined up right) and it didn't have the years labeled. So I split the GIF apart and fixed these issues. Here it is.

CountyTy90
United States

« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2015, 01:30:53 PM »

FWIW, I remember seeing this (I'm not sure I replied) and thought it was great!

I also found a GIF on Google of national Hispanic population by county from 1980-2011, but it was jumpy (the frames weren't lined up right) and it didn't have the years labeled. So I split the GIF apart and fixed these issues. Here it is.

That is so cool seeing the whole country; especially interesting to see Illinois how around 1990-2000 the Hispanic population exploded around the Chicago area. Also surprised to see that it looks like a majority of North Carolina counties are at least 5% Hispanic.
CountyTy90
United States

« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2015, 01:40:27 PM »

That's neat! Definitely do Florida at some point! Grin

I think I tried looking for Florida's data and couldn't find it (don't take my word for it though...)

I've done California and Texas and I know I looked for Georgia and South Carolina's data on the Census Bureau website and couldn't find it.
retromike22
United States

« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2015, 03:22:36 AM »

The Eastern Oregon/Idaho and Central Washington areas stand out more. Agricultural reasons again I suppose?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies