FL-SEN: Is Rubio about to bungle it?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:38:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  FL-SEN: Is Rubio about to bungle it?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 ... 43
Author Topic: FL-SEN: Is Rubio about to bungle it?  (Read 103531 times)
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #500 on: May 13, 2016, 09:23:05 AM »

Hell, I'd be fine with a Senator Sol Invictus. He's close enough to the average Florida Man.
Gog
Gog3451
United States

« Reply #501 on: May 13, 2016, 09:38:03 AM »

Hell, I'd be fine with a Senator Sol Invictus. He's close enough to the average Florida Man.
While it'd be amusing surely, I'd rather not have one of my senators be a blood bringing fascist.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #502 on: May 17, 2016, 10:42:52 AM »

Looks like investigation into Murphy's suspicious connections with Bera, and suspicious campaign fundung may actually be going somewhere.
http://www.tcpalm.com/news/politics/elections/local/complaint-filed-by-conservative-group-accuses-murphy-of-violating-campaign-finance-laws-32f7cdb0-09c-379687961.html
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #503 on: May 17, 2016, 04:24:18 PM »

And the Floridems screw it up again.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #504 on: May 18, 2016, 06:11:35 AM »

Explain this scandal, why Murphy's bad b/c of it, and why I should care in one (at the absolute most two) short/concise sentences using 3rd grade-level words.  If you can't then it won't matter.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #505 on: May 18, 2016, 08:05:27 AM »

Explain this scandal, why Murphy's bad b/c of it, and why I should care in one (at the absolute most two) short/concise sentences using 3rd grade-level words.  If you can't then it won't matter.
This scandal is mostly bad for his parents, who may have broken finance laws. It would give his opponents ammo to attack him.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #506 on: May 18, 2016, 08:43:18 AM »

His parents are allowled to donate to his SUPER-PAC; it's the candidate who isn't allowed to communicate with them.

Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #507 on: May 18, 2016, 09:20:13 AM »

His parents are allowled to donate to his SUPER-PAC; it's the candidate who isn't allowed to communicate with them.

I need to learn a lot more about the rules. I can tell you that the Super-PAC is not the problem, it's that his parents and Ami Bera's parents coalesced in a donor swap that may be illegal.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #508 on: May 18, 2016, 11:10:49 AM »

I need to learn a lot more about the rules. I can tell you that the Super-PAC is not the problem, it's that his parents and Ami Bera's parents coalesced in a donor swap that may be illegal.

Seems like an old story- was first published in sep 2015

New ad is worth a look-

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/senate-races/280335-gop-ad-rips-privileged-dem-senate-hopeful
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #509 on: May 18, 2016, 03:35:00 PM »

We have plenty of ammo against Murphy anyway. This isn't a major tier scandal. Might help tarnish his image but he isn't going to the big house over it.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #510 on: May 18, 2016, 03:41:22 PM »

We have plenty of ammo against Murphy anyway. This isn't a major tier scandal. Might help tarnish his image but he isn't going to the big house over it.
Ammo? Like what else could DeSantis or Jolly use against Privileged Patrick? And as I stated, this scandal is not really about him, but his parents.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #511 on: May 18, 2016, 04:02:27 PM »

We have plenty of ammo against Murphy anyway.

Please expand; the joys of Atlas is tricking information out ( see my rants from the Labour Leadership contest)
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #512 on: May 18, 2016, 08:59:10 PM »

What are the Republicans going to attack him for? Murphy was a Republican up until mid-2012 and supported Mitt Romney in the GOP primary that year.

He's basically what a sane Republican congressman would look like if such a thing existed at this point.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #513 on: May 18, 2016, 09:09:04 PM »

With Carlos Beruff positioning himself to be Florida's Donald Trump, I fully expect him to jump to first place in the next primary poll.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #514 on: May 18, 2016, 10:07:45 PM »

What are the Republicans going to attack him for? Murphy was a Republican up until mid-2012 and supported Mitt Romney in the GOP primary that year.

He's basically what a sane Republican congressman would look like if such a thing existed at this point.

He didn't endorse Romney in the general, did he?
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #515 on: May 18, 2016, 11:03:52 PM »

He didn't endorse Romney in the general, did he?
He endorsed Romney's 2008 primary campaign, and switched parties in 2011, citing his socially liberal views and disgust of Tea Party extremism. His parents are still Republicans, though, to my knowledge. Anyway, voting for Murphy is still an implicit vote for Schumer as majority leader and for a liberal Senate agenda over a more conservative one, so I'll support the GOP nominee here.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #516 on: May 19, 2016, 06:19:57 AM »

This scandal is mostly bad for his parents, who may have broken finance laws. It would give his opponents ammo to attack him.

Won't matter then.  Weren't there domestic violence rumors with Murphy or am I thinking of someone else? 
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #517 on: May 19, 2016, 08:56:29 AM »

Won't matter then.  Weren't there domestic violence rumors with Murphy or am I thinking of someone else? 

Don't be so sure. The domestic violence allegations happened a few years ago and most voters haven't heard of them. On the other hand, 74% of voters still don't have an opinion of Murphy in that AIF poll earlier in the month. First hearing of a senate candidate through a scandal (even a minor one) creates a bad first impression and makes Grayson look better. If you're a voter going into the booth and you think BOTH guys are crooked, why not choose the one who will really stick it to the Republicans?
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #518 on: May 19, 2016, 09:40:15 AM »

Don't be so sure. The domestic violence allegations happened a few years ago and most voters haven't heard of them. On the other hand, 74% of voters still don't have an opinion of Murphy in that AIF poll earlier in the month. First hearing of a senate candidate through a scandal (even a minor one) creates a bad first impression and makes Grayson look better. If you're a voter going into the booth and you think BOTH guys are crooked, why not choose the one who will really stick it to the Republicans?
Several articles about Murphy controversies.
http://www.sunshinestatenews.com/story/fdp-now-getting-rid-10k-al-rashid-donation
http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/the-buzz-florida-politics/patrick-murphy-donates-contributions-from-friend-who-pleaded-guilty-to/2277613
Apparently he gave away some money he got from a friend who was later found guilty of domestic violence.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #519 on: May 19, 2016, 10:12:56 AM »

Explain this scandal, why Murphy's bad b/c of it, and why I should care in one (at the absolute most two) short/concise sentences using 3rd grade-level words.  If you can't then it won't matter.

http://www.sunshinestatenews.com/story/fdp-now-getting-rid-10k-al-rashid-donation
http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/the-buzz-florida-politics/patrick-murphy-donates-contributions-from-friend-who-pleaded-guilty-to/2277613
Apparently he gave away some money he got from a friend who was later found guilty of domestic violence.

My mistake. I thought X was making a backhanded comparison to Grayson's domestic violence issues with that "or am I thinking of someone else" to imply that Murphy's problems weren't a big deal.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #520 on: May 19, 2016, 08:48:53 PM »

Well, speaking of violence, he once drunkenly started a brawl at a strip club and was arrested. Of course, Allen West ran his entire 2012 campaign on that arrest and he lost (narrowly). So long as the Pub candidate doesn't beat that scandal into the ground like West did, it can still remain relatively potent.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #521 on: May 19, 2016, 09:36:20 PM »

Explain this scandal, why Murphy's bad b/c of it, and why I should care in one (at the absolute most two) short/concise sentences using 3rd grade-level words.  If you can't then it won't matter.

My mistake. I thought X was making a backhanded comparison to Grayson's domestic violence issues with that "or am I thinking of someone else" to imply that Murphy's problems weren't a big deal.

Ah, it was Grayson who had the domestic violence issues.  My bad.  My point was if explaining the scandal takes too long and/or too complex an explanation, it won't matter.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #522 on: May 19, 2016, 10:22:09 PM »

For the record; I compiled a list of presidential year Senate races over the past 30 years where A) The seat was open and B) The winning candidate was the opposite party of the Presidential nominee that carried that state.

2012:
Joe Donnelly (Indiana)
Heidi Heitkamp (North Dakota)

2008:
None

2004:
Ken Salazar (Colorado)

2000:
Ben Nelson (Nebraska)
Bill Nelson (Florida)

1996:
Max Cleland (Georgia)
Susan Collins (Maine)
Tim Hutchinson (Arkansas)
Gordon Smith (Oregon)

1992:
Kent Conrad (North Dakota)
Byron Dorgan (North Dakota)
Judd Gregg (New Hampshire)

1988:
Slade Gorton (Washington)
Chuck Robb (Virginia)

1984:
Al Gore (Tennessee)
John Kerry (Massachusetts)
Jay Rockefeller (West Virginia)

1980:
Alan Dixon (Illinois)
Chris Dodd (Connecticut)

As you can see, it's fairy rare and might be getting rarer. Should Donald Trump lose Florida (And I think most people here believe he will), we will likely be looking at Sen. Patrick Murphy (Assuming he wins his primary). Of course, Donald Trump is not the typical Republican and many GOP candidates this year will successfully distance themselves from him, but that will be much harder to do for an open seat than an incumbent like Pat Toomey or Rob Portman.

Of course, if Trump DOES win Florida, a Murphy win is unlikely.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #523 on: May 20, 2016, 03:05:42 PM »

Mommy and daddy are cheating! They hate all non-Dumbocrats, and they hate Florida too!
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #524 on: May 21, 2016, 05:54:36 PM »

Mommy and daddy are cheating! They hate all non-Dumbocrats, and they hate Florida too!

Whose mom and dad?  Doesn't even make sense.  The second sentence is just Roll Eyes so I'll do you a favor and ignore it.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 ... 43  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies