Why do so Many People Have an Unfavorable Opinion of Hillary?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:42:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Why do so Many People Have an Unfavorable Opinion of Hillary?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Why do so Many People Have an Unfavorable Opinion of Hillary?  (Read 5203 times)
elcorazon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: May 09, 2005, 03:14:51 PM »

1) It is the popular "Republican" thing to do.
2) She made the "Republican conspiracy" statement and that really irked them.
3) As a young lawyer she helped to investigate Watergate and the GOP old guard are still p***ed.
all of these might be factors but it fails to explain the vast number of democrats who dislike her.
elcorazon

« Reply #51 on: May 09, 2005, 03:50:02 PM »

I'm not saying anyone thinks women should be powerless. I'm saying that women who speak powerfully come off as shrill, smug, arrogant, where men come off as strong.  I also didn't mean for my comments to indicate anything about your specific dislike of Hillary, but to explain more of the general dislike of her among the public at large.

And by the way, you're original response to my post was quite an offensive attempt to make tons of assumptions about my views which were WAY off the  mark as well. I chose to keep the argument about Hillary though, rather than take it personally.  The written word is often much harsher than intended.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #52 on: May 11, 2005, 07:59:12 AM »

I'm not saying anyone thinks women should be powerless. I'm saying that women who speak powerfully come off as shrill, smug, arrogant, where men come off as strong. 

I think that really depends on who the person (listener) is, as well as who the woman is.  These days, it is so much easier for a woman to be in power than in the past, and men are growing more acustomed to it as well.  But the woman also has a lot to do with the way people respond to her.  Mrs Bush, for example, would be a person most men would feel comfortable with as a leader, (however, I doubt she would do well in politics).  Mrs Kerry, on the other hand, would have many people fearing her (which is why she would do better in politics than Mrs Bush).  The only female I can think of off hand that is the best of both worlds is Mrs Dole, who easy to work with, yet also has the political savvy to handle the big league. 

Hillary would be somewhere between Dole and Kerry just on this basis, so she is already handicapped in people's perception.  Throw on her shady history, and obvious political move to the center to make herself more "attractive" to the voting base (rather than sticking up for what she believes in) turns more people off since she comes across as a fake.
elcorazon

« Reply #53 on: May 12, 2005, 10:32:48 AM »

yeah.  Don't get me wrong, it's always possible that some woman out there could prove me wrong, due to her ability to overcome what I believe are highly ingrained biases.

I think many people vote on the basis of who's more "presidential".  Who seems like a leader, etc.  I suppose it's possible for a woman to fit the bill, I just think for many people, they see a man as being more of a leader.  Of course, many many voters do not have this bias at all, but if say 30-40% do have this bias, a woman would have to be quite the politician to overcome it.

Hillary is not that person.

Your examples MODU are quite good.  Perceptions of women are generally fine, so long as women stick to certain roles; it gets trickier when they get into more confrontational situations.  They come off as bitchy, where men come off as combative or sticking to their guns.

I see it on the right too, by the way.  Who gets hated more than other right wing pundits by the left?  Ann Coulter... not that she's not worthy of the hatred, but it seems to be worse because she's a woman, relative to some men who are similarly repugnant.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #54 on: May 12, 2005, 11:20:03 AM »

I see it on the right too, by the way.  Who gets hated more than other right wing pundits by the left?  Ann Coulter... not that she's not worthy of the hatred, but it seems to be worse because she's a woman, relative to some men who are similarly repugnant.

I always get a kick out of it when we see nearly eye-to-eye.  Smiley

As far as Ann Coulter goes . . . she makes my skin crawl.  Not for the same reasons that Hillary does, though.  Ann is just rude and tends to over-inflate issues just so she can rant.  If she was a politician, she probably wouldn't last more than one term unless she backed up her talk with action.  But then again, I cannot stand most of the talking heads on either side.  It's like a spectator at a wrestling match saying he'd be able to better than the guy getting beaten up in the ring . . . but would never step foot into the same ring since they'd do worse than the person they are criticizing.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies