1976 Election ("What if"-scenario) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:33:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  1976 Election ("What if"-scenario) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 1976 Election ("What if"-scenario)  (Read 14622 times)
migrendel
Italy

« on: November 12, 2003, 03:57:12 PM »
« edited: November 13, 2003, 10:40:46 PM by migrendel »

There is no overarching trend so to speak of with me. I have always grown progressively more progressive on social issues as I age. I'll put anyone to shame in a few years. As for economic issues, I've moved to the right on some and to the left on others. For example, I now oppose trade unions and I feel that my old proposal, a single national wage to be payed to every worker, is wrong. I now support raising the minimum wage drastically and significantly raising taxes on upper income brackets and an increase on most lower brackets. But I still have my points of economic liberalism. For example, I feel welfare reform is inhumane, theoretically off-kilter, and generally inapposite for our complex economy. I also have been working recently for legislation that would allow the housing market to be controlled by local councils. These councils would make people register before they intend to sell, and would allow them to sell and consumers to buy based upon the amount of people housed. The council would be allowed to take and compensate for registered houses using eminent domain to remedy a housing shortage. As for Winston Churchill, that was an excessively judgmental statement. I know plenty of people in their mature years who are both liberal and quite intelligent. One must wonder whether he was drinking when he said that. Knowing what we know about Sir Winston, that's quite possible.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies