Strong VP's, but weak Presidential candidates?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:11:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Strong VP's, but weak Presidential candidates?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Strong VP's, but weak Presidential candidates?  (Read 1614 times)
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 28, 2005, 08:28:03 PM »

Who and why?
Notre Dame rules!

« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2005, 08:53:30 PM »

I would have to say Al Gore. 

He was highly touted for his role in reinventing government, and as being the VP that gave Clinton valuable foreign policy credentials.  However, he seemed to always be on the defensive, both economically and as regards foreign policy.  The media hype concerning the robust economy, should have been more than enough to lift him to electoral victory, rather than having to resort to an October Surprise against Bush.

By the same token, Nixon could be regarded as a strong VP, but a weak campainger in the 1960 elections.  Who can forget him sweating bullets in the '60 debate.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2005, 08:57:38 PM »
« Edited: April 28, 2005, 08:59:50 PM by nickshepDEM »

He was highly touted for his role in reinventing government, and as being the VP that gave Clinton valuable foreign policy credentials.  However, he seemed to always be on the defensive, both economically and as regards foreign policy.  The media hype concerning the robust economy, should have been more than enough to lift him to electoral victory, rather than having to resort to an October Surprise against Bush.

By the same token, Nixon could be regarded as a strong VP, but a weak campainger in the 1960 elections.  Who can forget him sweating bullets in the '60 debate.

I think I worded my question wrong.  What I meant was, who are the best possible VP choices for 2008, but would otherwise be poor presidential candidates on their own.  I enjoyed your post, though.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2005, 09:00:44 PM »

I think I worded my question wrong.  What I meant was, who will make solid VP choicein 2008, but would otherwise be poor presidential candidate on their own.  I enjoyed your post, though.

I would have interpreted your question a third way, and gone off spouting about Lloyd Bentsen being a stronger candidate than Michael Dukakis in 1988.

I'll have to think about this one.  Right off the bat, Rudolph Giuliani comes to mind.  I don't think he can get the Republican nomination, but he could attract some votes in moderate swing states as a VP candidate, especially if the party nominates another socially conservative southerner.  If they go with a midwesterner or northeasterner (Pawlenty or Romney), then Giuliani loses his balancing purpose.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2005, 09:08:11 PM »

Can you imagine if a Republican president was assassinated with Giuliani as VP? It would be like Teddy Roosevelt all over again.
Notre Dame rules!

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2005, 09:40:15 PM »

As Emily Latella on SNL used to say:  "Nevermind"
Citizen James
James42

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -2.78

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2005, 01:59:49 AM »

Clark springs to mind.   Fairly good popularity, but not a lot of experience.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2005, 02:17:57 AM »

assuming we're talking about 2008, Virginia Governor Mark Warner is THE perfect example....he is overrated as a presidential candidate, and his measley four years in elective office is oftentimes overlooked by his supporters, who seem to see him as this knight in shining armor coming to rescue the Democratic Party.  he would be so harshly criticized for not having enough political experience to lead the country as its chief executive that there is little question he would lose in the general election on that basis alone.   
No more McShame
FuturePrez R-AZ

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2005, 02:34:28 AM »

Bush had only two more years as governor before he was elected.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2005, 02:37:36 AM »

Which makes all the difference between being seen as a one term governor and a two term governor.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2005, 07:03:44 AM »

Can you imagine if a Republican president was assassinated with Giuliani as VP? It would be like Teddy Roosevelt all over again.

Why do you think Clinton chose Gore to be his VP?  Call it assasination insurance.  "Don't kill me, or other wise you'll end up with... HIM!!!"  hahaha

A good VP choice would be Tom Davis.  Looking at the Presidency as the Commanding Officer (CO) and Executive Officer (XO) aboard a Navy ship, the XO (in this case, the VP) is the enforcer of the law.  Davis is a good enforcer and could push the Presidents message to the Congress and nation effectively.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2005, 11:10:35 AM »

I think Wesley Clark for the Democrats, and Rudy Giuliani for the Republicans.  Neither of them have much political experience.  Clark would be good for being a Southerner and for being a strong military leader - both areas that the Dems are weak on.  Giuliani would help his ticket by being from the Northeast and for being a relatively popular moderate.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2005, 01:57:33 PM »

Santorum and Richardson.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2005, 02:16:12 PM »
« Edited: April 29, 2005, 02:33:03 PM by nickshepDEM »

For the Democrats I like Blanche Lincoln.  Southern, Independent, Strong, Woman.  But at the same time she gives off this motherly homemaker vibe.
AkSaber
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -8.00

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2005, 07:49:55 PM »

I think it's Wesley Clark.
Bob Dole '96
mpirner
Rookie

« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2005, 11:59:43 PM »

by the way, I used to like Bayh, but some of his political statements/moves lately have truly dissapointed me.  I know he's running left, but what a loser he is now.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies