CO-Quinnipiac: Sen. Bennet (D) down in early look
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:00:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 Senatorial Election Polls
  CO-Quinnipiac: Sen. Bennet (D) down in early look
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: CO-Quinnipiac: Sen. Bennet (D) down in early look  (Read 6399 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 14, 2015, 06:41:57 AM »

Colorado

In an early look at the 2016 U.S. Senate race in Colorado, U.S. Rep. Michael Coffman, a Republican, runs better than his wife, State Attorney General Cynthia Coffman, against Democratic incumbent U.S. Sen. Michael Bennet. Matchups show:

Michael Coffman gets 43 percent to Bennet's 40 percent.
    Bennet leads Cynthia Coffman 44 - 36 percent.

Colorado voters approve 46 - 29 percent of the job Bennet is doing and give him a 40 - 27 percent favorability rating. Michael Coffman gets a 30 - 23 percent favorability rating, with 47 percent who haven't heard enough about him to form an opinion.

For Cynthia Coffman, 75 percent haven't heard enough to form an opinion.

Voters approve 46 - 31 percent of the job U.S. Sen. Cory Gardner is doing.

http://www.quinnipiac.edu/news-and-events/quinnipiac-university-poll/2016-presidential-swing-state-polls/release-detail?ReleaseID=2186
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2015, 06:46:57 AM »

A bit strange that Bennet is down with his relatively solid favorable (+13) and approval ratings (+17), while Coffman is only +7.

Also, how is it possible for Cynthia Coffman to be elected State Attorney General and only have a 25% name recognition ?
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2015, 07:32:32 AM »
« Edited: April 14, 2015, 07:50:30 AM by SMilo »

I misread this poll as Cynthia being the only one tested. I'd be ecstatic if [Mike] Coffman took this seat as it likely means Romanoff could go to Washington without beating him! Agreed that Coffman is a wonderful candidate.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2015, 08:17:21 AM »

Is this the same poll that had Hillary at a consistent 41-42%, with some Republicans above and some below? Seems like Bennet is running as Generic D right now in Q poll.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2015, 08:38:09 AM »

But muh 272 freiwal!
Anyway, Michael Coffman would be the best Republican candidate by far.

You better hope that's not true because Bennet would probably beat Mike Coffman, probably by 4-6%.  Coffman isn't an awful candidate by any means and has beaten a weak opponent (Joe Miklosi) in a slightly Democratic year and a strong opponent (Andrew Romanoff) in one of the biggest Republican waves in history despite being in a Dem-trending swing district.  The thing is that Coffman has said some really dumb things and cast some extremely damaging votes back when he held a safe R district dominated by blood red Douglas County.  

Additionally, the last time Coffman faced a strong opponent in a statewide race was when he ran against Ken Gordon for SoS in 2006 and he won by the skin of his teeth.  Yes, it was 2006, but Colorado has gotten more Democratic than it was in 2006 to the point that even Gardner would've lost had 2014 been another 2010-level wave despite running a perfect campaign, his opponent running a weak one, and the local media being completely in the tank for him (none of which are gaurenteed to be the case of Coffman challenges Bennet).  

Honestly, Nevada is a much better pickup opportunity for the Republicans if Roberson can get through the primary (which is far from certain, I could easily see Dan Schwartz beating him in the primary and blowing any chance of a Republican pickup there, especially if Hutchison runs and that egomaniacal nutjob in the Controller's office doesn't).  Of course, the Democrats still have an edge there too at this point, but I digress.

Ultimately, at this ridiculously early date, the Republicans' best play in Colorado is to save Coffman for the open Governor's race in 2018 which he could win against a weak Democrat and run someone like Cynthia Coffman or Walker Stapleton who wouldn't have to give up their position to run, would run a competent campaign, act as Bennet-screwing up/wave insurance, and force the Democrats to spend a lot of money defending a seat that may well be just out of reach for the Republicans this cycle.  As a Democrat, I'm hoping Mike Coffman is smart enough not to run (we may pickup his seat in 2016 anyway) and Scott Tipton decides to run instead (which would open up a competitive seat and give the Republicans one of their weaker potential candidates).

Skye
yeah_93
YaBB God
Venezuela

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2015, 09:39:31 AM »

A bit strange that Bennet is down with his relatively solid favorable (+13) and approval ratings (+17), while Coffman is only +7.

Also, how is it possible for Cynthia Coffman to be elected State Attorney General and only have a 25% name recognition ?
Really weird indeed. Plush the fact that way more people know about Bennet than they do about Coffman. The guy isn't known to 47% of the people polled yet he gets 43%.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2015, 09:57:23 AM »
« Edited: April 14, 2015, 10:19:08 AM by maxwell »

Tipton's a better candidate than Coffman, but whatever works man. Either him or Walker Stapleton would probably be good enough for a battle but probably not good enough to actually win. We'll see though.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2015, 10:13:06 AM »

Color me surprised. It seems like VA is a tad more Dem a state than Colorado at the moment.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2015, 10:44:08 AM »

Well, Hilary doesn't poll that well in CO, anyways, and Dems only need OH or CO to win the electors needed to win presidency.

Strickland can win to offset this loss in CO, but Dems need PA, WI, IL, and NV and then one from NH and FL to win senate, then.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2015, 10:55:04 AM »

Does Quinnipiac have a history of being bad pollsters in CO? I seem to remember them being terrible at polling there.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2015, 11:00:23 AM »

Does Quinnipiac have a history of being bad pollsters in CO? I seem to remember them being terrible at polling there.

Yes they have.
How does it make sense that 46% approve Bennett but only 43% would vote for him? Most senators would kill to have +17 approval ratings.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2015, 11:08:03 AM »

Yes they have.
How does it make sense that 46% approve Bennett but only 43% would vote for him? Most senators would kill to have +17 approval ratings.

It'd odd, but stuff like this happens:

In 2006, Lincoln Chafee lost his Senate seat in RI - despite having a 65% approval rating in the exit poll.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2015, 11:26:27 AM »

Yes they have.

In 2006, Lincoln Chafee lost his Senate seat in RI - despite having a 65% approval rating in the exit poll.

Wait, what? How is that possible?
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2015, 11:36:11 AM »

Yes they have.

Yes, but Colorado isn't Rhode Island where the partisan lean of the state was too high for even a well-liked Republican like Chafee to overcome.
If this was Wyoming or Oklahoma we were talking about then yes, it would make sense.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2015, 12:04:05 PM »

Color me surprised. It seems like VA is a tad more Dem a state than Colorado at the moment.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2015, 12:18:07 PM »

moderatevoter
ModerateVAVoter

« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2015, 12:43:23 PM »

Quinnipiac seems to have a 'reverse' PPP issue - their polls seem to generally show approvals high, whereas PPP seems to always find approvals on the lower end.

If I recall, Quinnipiac was accurate in their final Colorado poll, but otherwise, they had a fairly significant Republican lean.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2015, 12:51:56 PM »

With a fairly popular gov and an unpopular senator, you get polls like this. But, Bennnett, unlike Udall has a presidential race constituency. Immigration will be on ballot this election, in which Udall didnt have. Which Hillary is in mainstream on.

Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2015, 02:18:41 PM »

Quinnipiac has released some strange polls recently. I wouldn't make too much of this one. Still Lean D.
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2015, 02:21:15 PM »

Yes. Junk poll!
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2015, 02:27:25 PM »

Quinnipiac seems to have a 'reverse' PPP issue - their polls seem to generally show approvals high, whereas PPP seems to always find approvals on the lower end.

If I recall, Quinnipiac was accurate in their final Colorado poll, but otherwise, they had a fairly significant Republican lean.

It's pretty insane too. For those that didn't open the file, McAuliffe is neatly at +30 and the other two govs are way above water too. So much for the "Virginia is for haters" meme. I was really loving that.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2015, 03:42:16 PM »

Quinnipiac is garbage in CO. I'm surprised they're not too ashamed to poll here at all after their disastrous 2012 and 2014 polls!
moderatevoter
ModerateVAVoter

« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2015, 03:52:08 PM »

It's pretty insane too. For those that didn't open the file, McAuliffe is neatly at +30 and the other two govs are way above water too. So much for the "Virginia is for haters" meme. I was really loving that.

No, Virginia is for lovers. I think you're confusing Virginia with our neighbor to the south. They seem to hate all of their politicians.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2015, 04:15:36 PM »

No, Virginia is for lovers. I think you're confusing Virginia with our neighbor to the south. They seem to hate all of their politicians.

Especially if their first name is "Thom".
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2015, 05:33:48 PM »

Maybe it's not actually that Hillary is weak in CO, but that Obama was unnaturally strong? Either way, this is concerning.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies