Can hedge fund managers go to Heaven? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 07:41:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Can hedge fund managers go to Heaven? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 35

Author Topic: Can hedge fund managers go to Heaven?  (Read 1307 times)
angus
Atlas Icon
« on: April 28, 2015, 07:26:32 PM »

"The wolf also shall dwell with the lamb, and the leopard shall lie down with the kid; and the calf and the young lion and the fatling together; and a little child shall lead them."
                                            --Isaiah 11:6

angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2015, 06:45:43 PM »

Depends on if they do good works with the money they make, so yes although I hate the system that allows their line of work to exist.

Hmmm, not quite Catholic, and not quite Calvinist.  What is that?  Methodism?  Lutheran?

I'm no religious scholar.  I simply googled "do dogs go to heaven" and chose to quote a response from among the hits I saw, but yours seems like a well-considered response.  I'm impressed, and I'm guessing that it comes from the vaguely-familiar Protestant Work Ethic concept.  

angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2015, 06:57:22 PM »
« Edited: April 29, 2015, 07:04:19 PM by angus »

The question didn't ask whether you are going to heaven, did it?  Of course you're going to burn in hell.  We all are, assuming such a thing exists.  The question merely asked you to show your knowledge of theology, or at least make a pretense of having some knowledge thereof, sort of like we all do when it comes to public policy questions.  If we can all pretend to be public policy experts, then why not pretend to be theology experts as well?  I think that it's an interesting question.  

My guess is that Usury is a construct of the Medieval Church, and it probably explains why so many Spanish and other European Jews have names like Silver-something and Gold-something, since the concept of Usury-as-sin wouldn't have affected them, contractually, at least with their god.  Somebody had to be the lenders, and that naturally would fall upon those whose moral appetites would be unaffected by the rambling and arbitrary edicts of the Pope.  Getting back to the basics of monotheistic theology, where does it write that engagement in filings of note automatically results in a fall from Grace?  Ernest studies such things--as did Supersoulty and jmfcst back when they posted here--and I think it would be interesting to hear from people who think about the ramifications of such questions as these.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies